stroker
stroker UltraDork
6/7/19 6:45 p.m.

There's a ratty and stupid-cheap four door Metro nearby.  I'm thinking Challenge material and hopefully a way to get my kids interested in turning wrenches.  Has anyone ever done anything significant from a performance perspective with one?  I know they're Swifts and that some Swifts have been breathed upon heavily, but we're talking really, really low-end Challenge stuff here...  Make sure the clutch and brakes work then buy some new tires?

EDIT:  

Just found this thread which is a start

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
6/7/19 8:39 p.m.

Does motorcycle engines count

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
6/7/19 9:00 p.m.

There are at least two old Swifts running stage rally in the US. I don't recall offhand how they do, but I can tell you at least one of them is pretty quick for what it is (it was running times right around our e30 318 a couple years ago at a rally, which may just mean I'm a slow driver...)

I recall talking to the driver and he said they are extremely popular in South/Central American rally at the budget end of things, so I imagine there's some performance support for them if you can speak Spanish/Portugese :)

Image result for stage rally suzuki swift

Image result for suzuki swift STPR

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
6/7/19 9:03 p.m.

This classified post has all the specs/mods of the blue car in the photo above

http://veh-markets.com/cars/suzuki-c/282969-suzuki-swift-gti-fully-prepared-rally-car.html

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/7/19 9:04 p.m.

I think a 4-door would sweet for a mid-engine V6 project.

The front doesn't have -much- room for a V8..... but it -does- fit with persuasion (grin).

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/7/19 9:07 p.m.

Chicks really dig it:  **Note: video is a bit raunchy, but having owned a couple Metros back when I was trying to save on gas, it comes to mind when I see them mentioned.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
6/7/19 9:17 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Duratec is the right choice! Reliableish, quick, available.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports New Reader
6/8/19 1:48 a.m.

I've had a couple 3-cyl metros, they are made as cheap as possible and as lightweight as possible because steel isn't cheap and as simple as possible.

This adds up to a very small minimal lightweight car which is a pathetic daily driver, but makes a good base for a racecar, where you upgrade the important parts,

like the rollcage to make it not floppy, the engine that has more than 50hp,  the brakes that don't fade, the suspension, etc. 

They have been popular in lemons racing, not so much anymore as they are not as easy to find and speedcreep has made them slow.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
6/8/19 6:09 a.m.
buzzboy said:

In reply to SkinnyG :

Duratec is the right choice! Reliableish, quick, available.

Yes, that car is hella fast. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/19 6:11 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

Because you mentioned your kids, I’ll put this out there:

I had a friend killed in his Metro when he was t-boned by a 1st gen CRX(let that sink in...). It pushed his driver’s seat into what had been the centerline of the car. I’m dumb enough that I’d still own & drive one on the street, but you may care more about yourself & your kids safety. 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
6/8/19 7:43 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to stroker :

Because you mentioned your kids, I’ll put this out there:

I had a friend killed in his Metro when he was t-boned by a 1st gen CRX(let that sink in...). It pushed his driver’s seat into what had been the centerline of the car. I’m dumb enough that I’d still own & drive one on the street, but you may care more about yourself & your kids safety. 

I owned a Swift about 20 years ago and I've got another one in my driveway right now.  That thought HAS occurred to me in the past.  I don't daily the Swift but it is my long distance car due to the fuel economy.  I'm thinking about a track car.  

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/8/19 10:58 a.m.

I worked for a towing company many years ago, and a lady sailed off a 50' embankment in a MK1 Turbo Sprint, rolling end over end over end over end.  EVERYTHING was destroyed in the car, including the spare tire.  She walked away.

When your number comes up, it's not going to matter what you're driving.

BUT, I once hit a garbage can in my first Pontiac Firefly (no V8 in that one), the can was ok, the Firefly wasn't.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EIdo4bx4bH17XNlM4w3wpby1IddUd87zEAdoj8LQB1poyh8s49VmxEJCdDmPTirG