2/11/24 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Loud pipes save lives.

No. Helmets do.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
2/11/24 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Agreed on the helmet part, add in general 'gear' to that as well. 

Loud exhaust used to help get noticed, but part of the bloating weight of cars has been lots of sound deadening. While my turbo bike is only loud when it's on boost, it's still much more noticeable than the new electrics. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/11/24 5:29 p.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul? :

*cough*

Doppler Effect

*cough*

Berck
Berck Reader
4/4/24 8:20 a.m.
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/24 8:24 a.m.

And as usual, the court system proves to be a complete and total joke.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/4/24 8:30 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Are his driving privileges suspended, or just limited in CO?  Wasn't he driving on a TX license?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
4/4/24 8:40 a.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to RevRico :

Are his driving privileges suspended, or just limited in CO?  Wasn't he driving on a TX license?

He will still have a valid Texas drivers license as Colorado can not suspend that. They suspended his right to drive in Colorado. He can legally drive anywhere but Colorado. 

RevRico
4/4/24 8:40 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

That's all the linked article says. I'm sure more details will come from the actual sentencing, but plea deals are usually it.

I know when I started driving 20 years ago people with DUIs, and therefore lost licenses, in PA could still get a license in other states, but those loopholes mostly closed.

2 Grand in fines and 2 weeks in jail just seems like an insultingly low slap on the wrist, and not much of a deterrent to stop others from doing the same thing though. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/4/24 8:52 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

Devil's advocate here only.

None of those would stand up to any scrutiny with a good lawyer on the defense.  All he has to say is "I handed someone else my keys, my phone was on the bike."

So, remember this?

I'd bet he got a really good lawyer.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/4/24 9:00 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

You're right. They should have fined him 150% of the revenue his YouTube channel generates posting E36 M3 like this. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/4/24 9:03 a.m.

...PLUS a hefty fine for about 100 counts of reckless endangerment. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
4/4/24 9:11 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to SV reX :

I know when I started driving 20 years ago people with DUIs, and therefore lost licenses, in PA could still get a license in other states, but those loopholes mostly closed.

I'm pretty sure at this point if it's suspended in one State, you can't get one in another. The loophole used to be get one in State B before the information caught up from State A. I'd think info is almost instant at this point. 

That being said, if you commit an offense somewhere they do have the right to revoke your privileges to drive in that place, even if you have a valid license from another State. 30 years ago I had a Delaware license, got a ticket in Maryland and never paid it, so Maryland revoked my privilege to drive in MD (and I did not know). I had a Laurel and Hardy conversation when I got pulled over again in MD. The cop kept saying "Your Maryland license is suspended" and I kept  saying "I don't have a MD license" (because I had a DE one), so he'd say "then you can't drive in MD" and I'd say "I don't need a MD one because I don't live in MD" rinse and repeat. A supervisor finally said "you can drive anywhere except MD until you pay that ticket" and that made more sense...

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
4/4/24 9:14 a.m.

Revoked license, $2500+ in fines, 14 days in jail (time served)....  Most prosecutors would probably consider that a success, considering he didn't actually injure anyone, he wasn't caught in the act, and the whole prosecution was based on a YT video.  I'm sure there were lots of felonies they were using as leverage for the plea, but I'm also sure they didn't want to take this case to trial.  

By comparison, most first offense DUIs will have higher fines, but less jail time and only a temporary license suspension.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
4/4/24 12:01 p.m.

The sad message that such laws convey is: "It's only a problem if someone dies, else you can do anything you want with little consequence." I completely disagree with this, as it's like saying, "You randomly fired 100 rounds into traffic, but because no one got hit, it's not a big deal."

Back when I had Midlana, I did all my high speed testing really early on Sunday mornings on the freeway. Even then, the rule was, "no passing anyone." That avoided any chance of anything happening to anyone but myself.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
4/4/24 7:49 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Mr_Asa said:

None of those would stand up to any scrutiny with a good lawyer on the defense.  All he has to say is "I handed someone else my keys, my phone was on the bike."

So, remember this?

What are you talking about? It played out pretty much exactly as I predicted. My quote from the last page...

"My guess is that he takes a plea when they show him the mountain of evidence. He could get lucky with a jury, but if they charge him with every count, he could be in some big trouble if he looses that roll of the dice. But this is the same guy who splits lanes at 150+, maybe he won't play it safe."

This had nothing to do with a good lawyer or some "I handed someone else my keys" defense. It had to do with the the cost of trial, the probability of convincing 12 average people who could agree on something, and the results of the guaranteed win vs. the possible win and appeals. They said "Your dumb ass recorded your crimes and we can prove it was you. Here is the evidence we have linking you to the crime, and what charges we will persue if you want to take this to court."

While I'd prefer a stronger punishment, 14 days in jail, $2000+ dollars and loss of driving privileges in the state is a pretty good outcome, especially this day and age. This is how our justice system works the majority of the time. Did you ever notice that most of the time that you are called for jury duty you are released without being called? Around 90% of convictions are the result of plea deals. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/4/24 8:23 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Mr_Asa said:

So, remember this?

What are you talking about? It played out pretty much exactly as I predicted. My quote from the last page...

"My guess is that he takes a plea when they show him the mountain of evidence. He could get lucky with a jury, but if they charge him with every count, he could be in some big trouble if he looses that roll of the dice. But this is the same guy who splits lanes at 150+, maybe he won't play it safe."

This had nothing to do with a good lawyer or some "I handed someone else my keys" defense. It had to do with the the cost of trial, the probability of convincing 12 average people who could agree on something, and the results of the guaranteed win vs. the possible win and appeals. They said "Your dumb ass recorded your crimes and we can prove it was you. Here is the evidence we have linking you to the crime, and what charges we will persue if you want to take this to court."

While I'd prefer a stronger punishment, 14 days in jail, $2000+ dollars and loss of driving privileges in the state is a pretty good outcome, especially this day and age. This is how our justice system works the majority of the time. Did you ever notice that most of the time that you are called for jury duty you are released without being called? Around 90% of convictions are the result of plea deals. 

I literally just quoted myself on page 3.  The fact that I was replying to you in that post is not germane to my post today.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
4/4/24 8:28 p.m.

How many of you have spent 14 days straight in jail?

Pretty sure he wasn't having a great time.

RevRico
4/4/24 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

14 days in county is a vacation to be honest. 3 hots and a cot, gym access, not long enough or with anyone bad enough to really cause problems. That's barely time to get used to the routine. Biggest issue with a stay that short is boredom because you can't even get a work detail or anything, or for the non YouTuber, missing work and potentially being fired from your day job. 2 weeks income going away is a bigger problem for the average person than group showers and 5am wake ups.

Having seen the way charges multiply when you're running from the cops and every speed limit change and red light ran becomes a new set of charges, frankly this feels weak as hell, and it would not surprise me in the least to see more people doing it trying to break a record until one of them eats a semi trailer or God forbid hits a civilian car. 

As against the court system as I am, this is really one of those places a solid example should have been made in the name of public safety. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/4/24 8:44 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

At least they got a "Get the berk out of Colorado. You aren't welcome here. And stay out."

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
4/4/24 9:12 p.m.
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) said:

Idiots like this E36M3head are why many in the general population hate anyone on two wheels.

There's a GRMer who was hit head-on by one of these smoothbrains a couple years ago.

Austin's own smoothbrain, Yammie noob, infamously crossed into oncoming traffic and nailed a Cayman.  If I recall correctly, the Porsche driver was ok while "the noob" could be seen flying through the air, landing hard, and lived in a hospital for a while.  
Don't know why people watch his crap, but they do.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
4/4/24 9:55 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I literally just quoted myself on page 3.  The fact that I was replying to you in that post is not germane to my post today.

But- you were incorrect back on page 3. It most certainly stood up to scrutiny, otherwise he would not have accepted a plea. If he truly had a good lawyer AND the evidence didn't stand up, there would be little reason to take the plea. More likely, he had a good lawyer who told him "You're screwed, let's go for the best deal we can get." 

RevRico said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

14 days in county is a vacation to be honest. 3 hots and a cot, gym access, not long enough or with anyone bad enough to really cause problems. That's barely time to get used to the routine. Biggest issue with a stay that short is boredom because you can't even get a work detail or anything, or for the non YouTuber, missing work and potentially being fired from your day job. 2 weeks income going away is a bigger problem for the average person than group showers and 5am wake ups.

Having seen the way charges multiply when you're running from the cops and every speed limit change and red light ran becomes a new set of charges, frankly this feels weak as hell, and it would not surprise me in the least to see more people doing it trying to break a record until one of them eats a semi trailer or God forbid hits a civilian car. 

As against the court system as I am, this is really one of those places a solid example should have been made in the name of public safety. 

Have you lost your freedom to The Man?

I have briefly, and there are interesting characters that you don't really want to spend a whole lot of time next to.  

I suppose if you're used to living with interesting characters, not being able to come and go as you please, and bad food, sure it's "great".  It's been decades since growing up in such an environment, not to comfortable around it anymore.

As to the punishment, I think impounding the bike would be more of a punishment, but depends on what they have on the books.

Cyclone03
Cyclone03 New Reader
4/6/24 12:47 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/6/24 7:32 a.m.

In reply to Cyclone03 :

Gixxer Brah, is that you?

RevRico
4/6/24 8:21 a.m.

In reply to ГУЛАГ мальчик УР следующий :

I had a few stays in my early 20s. It was actually better than the situation I was paying to live in at the time, with no electricity and a leaky trailer roof. Juvie was worse than county, by a lot.  From what I've heard from others who've done time in Colorado more recently, it's a joke out there. 

Would I want to go back or do an extended stay? Not these days as I have an actual house with electricity and a family to take care of. But if I were an Internet clout chaser, it would just be more content to post to follow up the "epic speed run" videos.

"We went to jail over this speedrun filming" "my life in county" "$5 packs of ramen and a jailhouse pizza" "5 things you didn't know about Colorado jails" "I can't drive in Colorado anymore, let's see if they notice"

The clickbait titles practically write themselves, and that's the problem, it's damn near a reward for an idiot YouTuber. 

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p6no9qxnRbR4hG7wl3yMAFMd9KwgsKg5GX2GgxBDqQxSt0Zuie4x7RGPETdCPp1A