1 2
ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
9/14/12 12:50 p.m.

I am about to experience this for the first time and am proud to drive new Buick and GMC products on the proving ground . Also excited to see Lansing Delta Township. Has anyone been to either facility?

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/14/12 12:51 p.m.

Yep. Have fun. Will you be on the oval, or the road course?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
9/14/12 1:00 p.m.

My wife's grandpa worked there for 30 years. Did a bunch of testing on the 60's and 70's vettes. Also participated in hijinks that involved ignition switches and live wires in the seats. Tons of great stories from that man. He's getting fitted for hearing aids this fall and I'm excited to really be able to talk to him again.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/14/12 1:01 p.m.
ls1fiero wrote: I am about to experience this for the first time and am proud to drive new Buick and GMC products on the proving ground . Also excited to see Lansing Delta Township. Has anyone been to either facility?

and how'd you bag a cool gig like that?

n, congrats

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
9/14/12 1:03 p.m.

I am hoping for both. It is an all day event. Think they would mind if I show up with Nomex and a helmet instead of a suit?

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
9/14/12 1:10 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce: Love it! He would fit in well with some of my friends. I am Sales Director at Jim Ellis in Atlanta. There are a few perks along with the 70+hour work weeks and boat anchor stress. Now I am trying to get them to let me create my own demo (evil laughter)

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/14/12 2:06 p.m.

Been to the Ford Proving grounds a few times. Does that count?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/12 2:07 p.m.

I'll be there Monday. I'll be teaching in a classroom though buried deep in the halls of that place :( never been on their tracks.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/12 2:14 p.m.

I spent the first 12 years of my life about a mile and a half from there. Once rode the track on my bike as part of an MS fundraiser. And Detroit SCCA used to hold autocrosses on a parking lot in there (no, not on Black Lake).

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
9/14/12 2:32 p.m.

Hopefully they'll let you drive their semi-autonomous prototypes, they're pretty interesting. There's a lot of cool sensor technology they've developed, you'll no doubt experience the Rear Cross Traffic Warning and Haptic seat (which is like being goosed!).

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
9/14/12 2:57 p.m.

I have flown over the proving grounds many times. It is a very big and interesting facility. There is very little visible action during the day. At night there are cars all over that place.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
9/14/12 4:16 p.m.

I took the factory tour in high school, really cool stuff.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
9/14/12 5:20 p.m.
ls1fiero wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: Love it! He would fit in well with some of my friends. I am Sales Director at Jim Ellis in Atlanta. There are a few perks along with the 70+hour work weeks and boat anchor stress. Now I am trying to get them to let me create my own demo (evil laughter)

Have you mentioned this before? Those of us in the area could always use an 'in' in a dealer sales department. Which makes do you represent? Have any pull on used car sales?

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
9/14/12 6:42 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver: Yes.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
9/14/12 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Lesley: Interesting stuff! Love the techy parts and looking forward to saying words like Haptic at the water cooler. Someone has that out already. MB? I have been told that we will be in the next gen Yukon and Sierra. That we will drive the Verano Turbo, Terrain Denali HD trucks.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
9/14/12 7:04 p.m.

In reply to nderwater: I am Sales Director at Ellis Buick GMC in Chamblee. We are joined with the Chevy store. We have streams of amazing new and pre owned cars. Everything in the world from a full on donk Impala, ZR1s, ZL1s,CTS Vs, 911s,Z06s,Boss 302s, Regal GS (love) Every gen of Vette... I will very fair and upfront on any new or used vehicle. Can help with cars at other Ellis stores but each is autonomous. I have thousands of track day miles and am probably the only dealer guy you know that owns 4 C900 SAABs.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/14/12 7:43 p.m.

I used to work at the VW store with Hershel. I was a tech in the shop from 99-02. Was a great experience and a great company. Got similar perks when VW brought the Beetle cup cars to Petit LeMans. One of the best companies I have ever worked for.

Enjoy your time in Michigan

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/12 8:47 p.m.

Ellis-Juan Fiero, How long are you going to be up this way? I am certain a few GRM minded folk can figure out how to get a steak and barley treat ordered between Lansing and the D.

Also, I am the Shop Foreman/Whipping Boy of a Buick Cadillac GMC store just south of Lansing if you need any help while on the road.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
9/15/12 7:54 a.m.

In reply to John Brown: The whole deal is managed by GM. Everything from travel to lodging. They have every minute of the two day deal planned out. I will tell you that you are completely covered if you are ever in Atlanta. Road A is a beautiful forty minute drive from the house and friends own an AMAZING steak and microbrew place near Athens.

grpb
grpb New Reader
9/15/12 8:55 a.m.

Sent you a pm, also depending on when you will be here you may want to check the schedule at Milan dragway, there is a nostalgia drag event coming up as well as some local heads up racing series, both of which will bring out some very wild rides. I've been to Atlanta dragway many times over the years for national events and I can say with certainty the hardware that turns out here in Detroit (if you pick the right event) must be seen to be believed. Have a fun trip!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/12 7:28 p.m.

Detroit region SCCA used to have autocrosses at the proving grounds. Of course it was a lot outside the fence so we never saw anything cool....

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
9/15/12 8:48 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden: Hey thats a Tri-plane! Cool!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/17/12 4:14 p.m.

Hey fiero - I sent you an email a few days ago through the board. Did you see it?

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
9/17/12 9:18 p.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave: Please try mikec@jimellis.com

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/18/12 8:46 a.m.

Done. Thanks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lfnx9XRJaxZqm3aLlKAbzUor65xpYe90yxk161H2R5H3dPbHxlTm9jCgZIYm5RN6