1 2
Caperix
Caperix New Reader
2/5/22 7:29 a.m.

What is your goal with this build?  As cool as the sy/tys were at this point you are better off starting with a standard truck & ls swapping.

2wd will let you have a lower center of gravity & with an anti hop shock from a zq8 truck & a limited slip you can still get decent launches.

I think a 2 door first gen with box flairs would look good

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/5/22 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Caperix :

The goal is an AWD LS swap. Potentially using some S-10, 4x4 parts. Maybe the whole S-10, frame. 

Still in the learning phase. But the goal is to not have a truck as the finished project. 

More something like this but a little tamer. Link
https://www.lsxmag.com/features/car-features/the-retro-rocket-procharged-ls-awd-cutlass-cut-from-carbon/

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
2/5/22 8:37 a.m.

The s10 is cheap, but if building something to handle I would want coil springs & a diff that goes through the oil pan to get the center of gravity lower. I can't remember if the canyon switched to those or not, but in the h3 they were available with a v8 from the face

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/5/22 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

It's probably way more radical than you're looking for, but the Fasterproms YouTube channel built an AWD LS S10 if you want to check it out for ideas.

2/5/22 10:10 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

That looks awesome will have to watch those. 

2/5/22 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Caperix :

The newer blazer envoy etc has the setup with the axle through the oil pan, and coil spring up front. But they are also a bigger vehicle overall. So I thought that to get low an S-10 would be a better start. Plus there is a lot of documentation on ls S-10, swaps. 

I am not sure the pass through oil pan would be a lower center of gravity. Just on the S-10, set up the tall part of the oil pan would be in the rear rather than the front over the axle. 

The canyon set up  has the front diff passenger drop on the older more affordable ones. Where as both transfer cases I am thinking about are driver's side front diff setups. 

I am also half wondering if you could use a used circle track coilovers set up. And just make a custom top control arm for the S-10.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
2/5/22 11:18 a.m.

A coil-over setup for the Syclone was available the last time GRM did a buyer's guide on it.

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/10/22 1:38 a.m.

Mostly trivia to clarify about the Envoy/Trailblazer/etc: Unlike the S-trucks, it is safer to assume that there is zero parts commonality between the GMT355 Colorado/Canyon trucks and the GMT360/370 SUVs.  The Hummer H3 shares quite a bit with the trucks, but there are still significant differences to the frame and suspension beyond just the body and interior.

The SUVs are driver-side front diff w/ axle passing thru the oil pan.

The  trucks are passenger-side front diff with aluminum case and not at all attached to the engine; the H3 is the same as the trucks with optional cast iron case and locker.  I have an Isuzu i-350 truck: I knew the SUVs didn't have anything in common, but I never paid attention that the front diff is even on the opposite side.

And the 4200 I-6 from the SUVs will not fit in the trucks (at least, not along with a radiator and fan in front of the engine).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o0TS6dM7dHiKmzw2ObzIiJu4O7tlxE5MHSPzLlCf20rOLxEouxLQcyR00fxoKdI5