Jeff
Jeff Dork
7/27/11 8:51 p.m.

Hi all,

I want to build a go kart that will use the Honda 6.5 HP 4 stroke (or a clone). Anyone here done that? Looking for advice and plans. This will be my first fabrication project (see welder thread).

Any and all insight appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
7/27/11 9:29 p.m.

Just Google go carts, tons n tons of suppliers and ideas. You'll be needing their axles, brgs, sprockets, clutches, wheels/ tires etc anyway. You can usually find their wheelbase and track listed on cart sales site, then go from there. Youtube is good for ideas also.

Where you going w/ this?... staight axle or a-arm front, swingarm rear w/ shocks

n you're gonna want a mig welder and tubing notcher

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
7/27/11 9:54 p.m.

Why build your own when I can sell you a CRG kart frame with everything but the engine for $750?

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
7/27/11 10:57 p.m.
Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
7/27/11 11:10 p.m.

In reply to AquaHusky:

I shouldn't have seen that.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
7/28/11 7:11 a.m.

There was a Grassroots Go-Karts article in the mag a few months ago. I dont think its posted online. yet.

It involved converting old rear engined riding mowers to karts for cheap. I guess that wouldnt really tickle your fabrication itch so much though.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/28/11 7:26 a.m.

Loosecannon:

How far are you from the 918 area code?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/28/11 7:37 a.m.

I cut the wheel base of a sic stock cart. Camber and angle have been pushed extreme for drifting. Basically I cut them short and re-welded. Dropped San eleven horse four stroke on the break and welded some mounts. You can always fabricate from an existing chassis fairly easy.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/11 7:52 a.m.

I still don't understand why this book doesn't get more attention around here.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
7/28/11 7:59 a.m.

Because the woman on the cover is freakin' scary?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/28/11 8:35 a.m.

Ron looks kind of scary there too.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/28/11 8:39 a.m.

Because an off-road buggy doesn't pull Gs around my local Kart track?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
7/28/11 8:43 a.m.
loosecannon wrote: Why build your own when I can sell you a CRG kart frame with everything but the engine for $750?

I wish I'd known this. As it is, I'm half done with a cyclekart that has cost me more than that. You could easily be running for under a grand here.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/28/11 8:49 a.m.

What's 100£? About $120?

RossD
RossD SuperDork
7/28/11 8:51 a.m.

$163.20 say my little desktop widget.

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos Reader
7/28/11 11:14 a.m.

Not sure if you're interested in the destination or the journey, but you'll probably save money by finding a frame on CL.

I picked up a sweet chassis with a live axle for $50 with a running motor. I later found out it's a vintage racing kart and I'm now spending money to restore it. Otherwise, it would have been perfect for what you're looking for.

Even for a fun kart, I would model it after a racing kart which would have a live axle.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
7/28/11 12:30 p.m.

For this one, I'm interested in the journey. I'm going to use this to learn how to fabricate. And hopefully end up with a cart that I can drive without killing myself.

I need to just bite the bullet and order all of Ron's books. They need a place on the shelf with the rest of my reference material.

Thanks,

Jeff

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
7/28/11 12:49 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Loosecannon: How far are you from the 918 area code?

964 miles straight north

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/28/11 12:54 p.m.

Probably a good thing you're that far away!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/28/11 1:29 p.m.
Jeff wrote: For this one, I'm interested in the journey. I'm going to use this to learn how to fabricate. And hopefully end up with a cart that I can drive without killing myself.

OK. Enjoy the journey.

Only caution I'd toss out would be to make sure whatever cart you build will be one you will use and enjoy. Be it a yard toy, a track racer, a cyclecar, or some bizzare creation.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
7/28/11 3:32 p.m.

Karts are great. Where are you going to use it?

The first cart you need to build is the one for your welder.

The practice will be good so that you don't have your new go-cart do a keystone cops routine!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nl6A83mQkAgKEBY1ZjYBEcS05cp4PVnJIcj01XcOBJJYGnPd1zfuZy0Ze2VGsJcq