1 2
digdug18
digdug18 Dork
2/19/15 3:37 p.m.

Finally, a magazine has realized that since I am a subscriber they can save the 5 cents it would cost them to have the subscription cards inserted into the pages. THANK YOU JESUS. OR Perhaps the GRM staff, which some might think are the same people.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/15 3:49 p.m.

No cards that randomly fall out of the magazine!?!? This is the greatest advance in printed material since the invention of the printing press!

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
2/19/15 4:11 p.m.

As a postal worker, I can safely say that more of those damn cards end up on the ground then end up in mailboxes. berkeley them and the people that use them.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/19/15 4:24 p.m.

Yay.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/15 4:25 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

No more cards that you have to wrestle/rip out of the magazine

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/15 4:47 p.m.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Nice touch.

and no, I'm not going to point out my car was IHROTM, I've got more class than that. Heh

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/15 6:05 p.m.

Do you still have that car?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/19/15 6:08 p.m.

I love those subscription cards. They make great bookmarks, and they're a handy source for doing small-scale CAD work.

And yes, I have worked Cardboard Aided Design into my lexicon.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
2/19/15 6:53 p.m.

Personally, I'm amazed how many of them stay in the magazine (any magazine) until it arrives at my house.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
2/19/15 7:10 p.m.

First thing I do when I receive a new magazine is rip them out and pitch them. Well, except one in a couple issues :-)

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/15 7:18 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

Yup. Parked on the street right now. Broken :/ two other broken German cars in front of it :/

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/19/15 7:19 p.m.

You know, there's probably a part of your job that everyone else hates and thinks is stupid, but you couldn't pay your mortgage without. For us, it's the blow-in cards. They're an annoying, but utterly necessary evil if we ever hope to eat the brand name ramen and not just the stuff that says BOWL on the front of the package with some random Chinese symbols.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/19/15 7:32 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

Seriously? Do those things actually work? I haven't known anybody since the invention of the dialup modem - and possibly the telephone itself - that has ever used one for its intended purpose.

kylini
kylini Reader
2/19/15 7:37 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: You know, there's probably a part of your job that everyone else hates and thinks is stupid, but you couldn't pay your mortgage without. For us, it's the blow-in cards. They're an annoying, but utterly necessary evil if we ever hope to eat the brand name ramen and not just the stuff that says BOWL on the front of the package with some random Chinese symbols.

Ramen is cheaper without the bowl. I'd know. I'm a grad student.

Strangely, it's also cheaper at Walmart Community Market than normal Walmart.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
2/19/15 7:59 p.m.
Duke wrote: In reply to JG Pasterjak: Seriously? Do those things actually work? I haven't known anybody since the invention of the dialup modem - and possibly the telephone itself - that has *ever* used one for its intended purpose.

I'm extremely curious to this as well. Hell, have one card in the plastic envelope the magazine gets delivered in. I don't know anyone that has mailed in a subscription in... well, about a decade.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
2/19/15 8:19 p.m.

No more free bookmarks?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/19/15 10:09 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Duke wrote: In reply to JG Pasterjak: Seriously? Do those things actually work? I haven't known anybody since the invention of the dialup modem - and possibly the telephone itself - that has *ever* used one for its intended purpose.
I'm extremely curious to this as well. Hell, have one card in the plastic envelope the magazine gets delivered in. I don't know anyone that has mailed in a subscription in... well, about a decade.

They do work, actually.

Don't forget, though, pretty much if you're on this forum, you already subscribe, buy on the newsstand, or have made a decision not to buy. The great majority of blow-in card users are first-time subscribers who are just discovering the magazine. So you guys really aren't the target, but more like collateral damage (even though the "damage" is actually keeping your costs down in the long run by bringing new customers on board).

So try not to hate them too bad. If you think they're annoying in your magazine, try designing, coding, printing, warehousing, placing and inventorying them sometime.

And, actually, they're not ALL annoying. You'll be seeing one in an upcoming issue that'll get you five bucks off your Mitty tickets and a free program (which will probably have more cards stuffed in it [evil laugh]).

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/15 10:32 p.m.

In 1986, I mailed one of those cards in to Auto-X. That's how they got me. I have no idea where I found the magazine that it fell out of.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/15 10:49 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: You know, there's probably a part of your job that everyone else hates and thinks is stupid, but you couldn't pay your mortgage without. For us, it's the blow-in cards.

That is actually my job description.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
2/20/15 12:39 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: They do work, actually.

Hey, you are the magazine guy, I will take your word for it :) I honestly never would have believed in this day and age anybody would. Hell, most of my "mail" coming to me is electronic except when they won't allow it.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
2/20/15 1:15 a.m.

Apparently telemarketing makes enough money for it to be viable.

Go figure.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
2/20/15 5:31 a.m.

A little part of what I did at GRM/CMS was input the subscriptions from those cards. They do work and would fill a day or two a month.

Also if those cards are one of the biggest issues in your life then I'm doing life wrong.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
2/20/15 5:57 a.m.

I bet there are people that take the cards and use them as a reminder to subscribe online, if not actually mailing them in. Can't really think of a way to track that.

-guy who usually has 3-4 sticky note reminders in his pocket or stuck to his money clip

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
2/20/15 8:11 a.m.

If you could at least put the stuck-in cards on the page I want to go back to, like MR2 or Abarth articles, that would be most helpful.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/20/15 8:35 a.m.

I have mailed them in for subscriptions, although not for GRM (both GRM and CMS were done in person at event tents @ 10 yrs ea - more freebies!).

I also noticed the lack of cards in the April issue that arrived in the mail yesterday. makes sense digdug got it on the same day since we're a few miles apart.

So if the cards are a necessary evil, why were they absent from this issue? Was it a decision or a printing "oops"?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WjugxEPeTWNwoflphjxjBI6kufDD062nWzw2Zf2QoMqNAzi6MJJYWCFIPX3BwVgn