jrflying
jrflying New Reader
3/26/19 8:35 a.m.

So MIL wants a used small SUV in $5k range. I found a 2006 Mazda Tribute 2.3l auto FWD with 145k on the clock. I’d prefer to not be working on it all the time and getting yelled at by the wife because I bought her mother a POS and now she has to borrow our car again, so what are some trouble areas and what MX should I expect to do? Does this car have a timing belt or chain? When does that need to be replaced? I’m in DFW so rust isn’t a big worry. 

Thanks Ya’ll

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/26/19 8:55 a.m.

First generation Escapes, Mariners and Tributes had issues with the rear shock towers rusting out badly. It's a safety concern, and I've heard stories of them being totaled by insurance companies because the repair costs outweigh the value of the vehicle.

Image result for mazda tribute shock rust

I definitely wouldn't drop $5k on one with over 100k miles. Around here, they're $2500 vehicles typically with $5k being the absolute top end of the market being sold by small dealers.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/19 8:58 a.m.

I'd look at a CR-V in that price range.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/26/19 9:08 a.m.

I sold an 04 Tribute, V6, that had some surface rust but was structurally solid (shock towers had been repaired by recall, correctly), with 95k miles for $1500. It had some other small problems, but probably no more than $1000 at a shop to fix it. It was a nice car, I actually quite enjoyed it... but I didn't reapir anything on it because, had I spent that $1000, I would have had a car I could sell for maybe $500 more than I did. 

With a $5k budget for a MIL, I'd be looking at a Lexus RX330. Maybe ask MazdaDuece if this one is still available and take a drive to Houston

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
3/26/19 9:13 a.m.

They are asking 3500 for this one which I think is still high. 5k is the top of the price range. Stm317 what part of the country are you in to see that kind of rust?

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/26/19 9:57 a.m.

That's not a personal pic, just a google image to show the situation clearly. But it's a pretty well known issue and not always in the rust belt. I'm in Indiana, and a former neighbor had one that rusted out and put her in a precarious financial spot for awhile.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/26/19 11:54 a.m.

Yeah, they used the finest Soviet Grade "steel" for the shock towers on those. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
3/26/19 3:14 p.m.

Hmm, you're going to be on the hook to fix said car and give up your ride while its happening and get a guilt trip from your wife?  That's a hard pass for helping the MIL find a new ride for me!

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/26/19 4:47 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Especially with said budget. Buy a Camry. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/27/19 1:43 p.m.

when you find the vehicle, be sure to have your MIL drive it.  

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
3/27/19 3:29 p.m.

Anybody know anything about 2009 Mazda CX-7 turbo 4cyl? Common problems? 

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
3/27/19 3:30 p.m.

I looked into the CR-V and Rav-4 but they all have over 200k miles on them

Opti
Opti Dork
3/27/19 4:26 p.m.

We dont have those rust problems on the escapes/tributes in north texas.

Most of them need some tie rods and lower ball joints with miles, ive seen some ignition cylinder issues that can be difficult to fix. The 2.3s are duratecs so pretty reliable there and a much better choice than the 6 cylinders they put in these from a maintenance/repair stand point.

I dont know much about the cx7s except some of them have a weird 17" tire thats expensive without many options and the oil cooler housing will probable leak

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Z2CDbGf1AQSdhKahQ5BCgRbpHDcPWPL6QdCvs2TlraFPR9ODXTylgj3zKNqwzla