OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/21/15 10:11 a.m.

I want a truck, and I have a 14 year old kid. Previously, my plan had been to give him my 2005 civic when he is 16.. but it is a small car, maybe not the best choice for a new driver.

I found an 06 Tundra, one owner with 100k miles V6 RWD, Georgia car all its life. Seems like a good way to get a truck and something that can become the kid's vehicle in a few years. The idea of buying a 9 year old truck doesn't thrill me but my money tree isn't blooming really strongly lately. And so many Tundras of this age seem to be in the 200k+ mile range or beyond.

I know this Tundra V6 is a timing chain engine, and the seller has service records. I will go see it tomorrow. Does anyone know much about this combination? I'd appreciate tips for things to look at. I have no intention of towing anything, so don't need the v8.

Also.. southern rust free civic (4dr, LX, manual, gray, 158k with all service records, never wrecked, quite nice condition, 2nd owner, had it since about 6k IIRC) may be available soon if anyone wants an economical, efficient small car.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
2/21/15 10:52 a.m.

I had that engine in my 4runner and I loved it. The only issue I can remember from those engines is that the coolant and transmission cooler share different compartments of the radiator and they can break and mix fluids. Google 4runner pink milkshake to find more info. Its more of a high mile issue, mine had 236xxx and it never had the problem.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/21/15 1:42 p.m.

Cool. Thanks. I am seeing so many for sale with amazingly high miles. Same for the mid 2000's 4runner. I feel like getting this for 10k is a safe buy if it checks out okay, despite being almost a base truck.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G5bhksOTrcQnZdas7Rmk69nmqyaBhH0uZRYJbSTqnP8sCKlAHEAaSWv1BLcbC0uZ