1 2
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/18 7:34 a.m.
dean1484 said:

So I hope you stole it price wise. 

I am going to flog the everloving hell out of this car over the next 4 years devil. For $3000 it'll be the best bang for buck ratio this side of taking my pants of smiley

Hungary Bill
3/23/18 7:36 a.m.
02Pilot said:

Try https://www.bmwvin.com for decoding. Generic code readers barely scratch the surface on what's available from the various modules; ECS Tuning sells a reader preloaded with BMW-specific software, including the airbag system.

thanks man.  We'll get her sorted once she gets to the driveway.  I'll get the ECS tuner addedto the shopping cart

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
3/23/18 8:55 a.m.
Hungary Bill said:

wheels are m3 wheels.  225's up front 245's in the back.  I might see about changing wheels and tires so they're not staggered.

They are 5 series wheels not M3s. These are the M3 wheels:

What your car has are these, with the wrong offset:

It's also a 5 speed (i was expecting a six).  No clunks or creaks over bumps or when i accelerate.

That's because it's a base 330i not a  ZHP package car.

Hungary Bill
3/23/18 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

you are way better at this BMW thing than I am.  Even with google I cant find those rims laugh

The offset does suck though.  there's a sad amount of room under the front arches for more rubber

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
3/23/18 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/

Not only is the offset going to be wrong, but some of the 5-series generations (which ones escape me at the moment) have larger hub diameters, meaning the wheels will not be hubcentric (all BMW alloy wheels since the E12/E21/E23 cars have been designed to be hubcentric and mounted with lug bolts).

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/23/18 12:59 p.m.

Every BMW I've owned gets the Vorshlag stud kit as soon as I'm able. I hate lug bolts.

Hungary Bill
3/27/18 1:38 a.m.

Hole-ee-balls.  This is a lot of car!!!

I arrived at work grinning from ear to ear.  This car is way more than I could have hoped for (i tend to gravitate towards really low power japanese cars, so this cars output exceeds my norm by a lot).

The vin decoder finally worked.  2003 Euro 330ci.  Originally automatic.  Now 5spd.

I mathed out the gears.  3.46 in the back.  Woo-hoo!

Obd 2 scanner finally worked.  Some misfires when cold starting. Two dead o2 sensors but  runs like a sewing machine when warm.

Bill happy.

I do have a complaint:   I cant really feel the gas pedal.  There's no resistance in it whatsoever.  It's hard to be smooth when you cant feel what your right foot is doing.

Either way, this is a LOT of car laugh

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
3/27/18 5:16 a.m.

I’m happy for you, I really am but YOU'RE MAKING THIS HARDER FOR ME!!!smiley

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
3/27/18 5:48 a.m.

The misfires are likely due to vacuum leaks, coil packs, or both. Common vacuum leaks are the intake elbow and the CCV system; smoke test is the best way to locate them, as they are a bit buried. Look for oil leaks around the oil filter housing gasket and valve cover gasket. Fixing the O2 sensors (pre-cat or post-cat?) should improve drivablity and mileage, moreso for the pre-cats

Gas pedal response is a common complaint in modern BMWs. They've programed it to have very low response at tip-in, which makes it feel unresponsive. In terms of the physical feel, there may be a broken spring or something not hooked up correctly. I'd have to dig into exactly where to look, since these ar drive-by-wire cars, but it's probably in the gas pedal assembly itself.

Hungary Bill
3/27/18 6:04 a.m.

waaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiit a minute!

Are you THE o2pilot???

As in "E46 o2pilot mod".

Hungary Bill
3/27/18 6:07 a.m.

one pre cat, one post.  Definitely diving into the ccv for an o2pilot mod.  Will clean tb and iacv while I'm there.

I think a replacement pedal is going on the list.  This assembly still has the kickdown switch.  If the new one feels better, that'll be a plus.

There is a little oil coming down the front of the engine a little off center (towards driver's side).  I was suspecting the oil filter housing o-ring but will hold off on ordering parts until I'm sure.

Good news is the wheels are hub centric.  They should hold me over until i can find a non-staggered set.

Thanks again everyone. Now we just need this track to hurry up and open to the public!

Hungary Bill
3/27/18 6:15 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

I’m happy for you, I really am but YOU'RE MAKING THIS HARDER FOR ME!!!smiley

Dude.  End of shift and I can not get back out to that car fast enough laugh

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/27/18 6:50 a.m.

Congrats!  It took me a couple weeks to really get used to the clutch/shifter/e-gas feel in the E46, coming from Japanese cars.  It becomes second nature.

The intake boots are 2 year replacement items.  If you have lean codes, that's where I'd look first.  I did the smoke test with a cigar and hand pump.  It's good for a laugh and a practical way to find leaks.

If both O2 sensors are out, you probably want to jump on that first.

Leak from the top left side of the engine is the OFH.  Easy fix.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
3/27/18 6:52 a.m.

You work overnights too huh? I’d be looking even more forward to getting out at sunup too. I can’t imagine. Good for you!

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
3/27/18 7:24 a.m.
Hungary Bill said:

waaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiit a minute!

Are you THE o2pilot???

As in "E46 o2pilot mod".

For good or ill, yes, that's me. It started out as an E39 project actually, but the mod applies to any M54. The thread in which the mod came into being, if you haven't found it already, is here: Bimmerforums

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
3/27/18 7:29 a.m.

Save yourself some work and hand cramps by doing the oil filter housing gasket (it is leaking, I promise you) and the CCV replacement at the same time. With the housing out of the way you have a ton more access to the CCV and hose connections. Just break the old hoses rather than trying to undo the clips; they will break anyway once you start pulling on them. I strongly recommend you pull the dipstick guide tube and clean out the drain sleeve for the CCV, as it is at least partially blocked (wire coat hanger followed by brake cleaner and compressed air). Replace the O-ring when you reinstall.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
3/27/18 8:38 a.m.

Fantastic buy, pretty car.

I found this rattle fix guide very handy.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=605933

I never put together the e46 fanatics "02Pilot" with "OUR" O2Pilot! Cool!

Hungary Bill
3/27/18 11:39 a.m.
02Pilot said:

Save yourself some work and hand cramps by doing the oil filter housing gasket (it is leaking, I promise you) and the CCV replacement at the same time. With the housing out of the way you have a ton more access to the CCV and hose connections. Just break the old hoses rather than trying to undo the clips; they will break anyway once you start pulling on them. I strongly recommend you pull the dipstick guide tube and clean out the drain sleeve for the CCV, as it is at least partially blocked (wire coat hanger followed by brake cleaner and compressed air). Replace the O-ring when you reinstall.

VANOS seals are on my list as well.  Any benefit to doing those at the same time or can I save them for another day without too much hassle?

Hungary Bill
3/27/18 11:40 a.m.
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) said:

Fantastic buy, pretty car.

I found this rattle fix guide very handy.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=605933

I never put together the e46 fanatics "02Pilot" with "OUR" O2Pilot! Cool!

I was expecting DISA or VANOS instructions.  That was great man, thanks!

Hungary Bill
3/27/18 11:45 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

You work overnights too huh? I’d be looking even more forward to getting out at sunup too. I can’t imagine. Good for you!

Nah, different time zone.  I'm in Kuwait for a bit.

I did work graves in the military though.  As soon as that sun started coming up, I'd start dropping fast.  Not fun at all.  I never felt like i had any time to unwind after work (grab a beer, etc).  If I did try to stay up that sun would get bright and there was no going to sleep after that.

not fun at all.  And also the reason I cant go to sleep without a blanket over my head laugh

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
3/27/18 12:19 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:
02Pilot said:

VANOS seals are on my list as well.  Any benefit to doing those at the same time or can I save them for another day without too much hassle?

You can save those for another day. No significant shared labor.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/27/18 12:48 p.m.

I'd love for you to drive my 135 DCT car. You're mind would be blown.

Hungary Bill
3/29/18 4:19 a.m.
z31maniac said:

I'd love for you to drive my 135 DCT car. You're mind would be blown.

man, I am a terrible driver.  You do not want that to happen cheeky

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/29/18 11:23 p.m.

Im no particular bmw fan but i would buy THAT e46. Looks sweet! Congrats!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q8G75G89ZERgNNwhdCfPVzLWZYuJ8IbhASYCF8F3kddZIw7FUFBOaycRJAJtaMLI