DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/17/12 10:12 a.m.

I want to junkyard find a spare tire lift from a truck to fit to my trailer. Anyone got any input on which ones are good candidates (good candidate mostly meaning it's easily removed in the junkyard).

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
9/17/12 11:47 a.m.

They're almost all easy to get and generally visual condition is the best indicator of how useful they'll be. Wander your favorite yard and check availability, avoiding ones that are nasty rusty and make sure the tool kit to match the winder is in the truck still before you start pulling it. If you find one that's still holding the spare in you even get to test it before committing! Depending on what tools you have, how things are mounted, and how you plan to mount it to the trailer, it might be easiest to just remove the whole crossmember it's attached to. A buddy of mine recently pulled a crossmember out of a random 90s? GM truck at the yard and put it under his early 60's Ford...easy, cheap project with nice benefits if the vehicle is a keeper.

Bryce

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
9/17/12 12:21 p.m.

The best truck to get one from is the one with the bed already off of it!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/12 12:40 p.m.

I am confused.. why a cable lift on a trailer?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/17/12 12:44 p.m.

To keep it out of the way. It's currently mounted on top of the tounge, and is always in the way.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
9/17/12 12:49 p.m.

97-04 Dakotas have a pretty simple cable mechanism, the 87-96 ones may be the same as well.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/12 12:49 p.m.

I have seen them hung underneath the tongue.. just didn't realise it needed a cable lift

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
9/17/12 2:45 p.m.

Chev Astro units last well, even up here in Rustland.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/12 3:16 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I am confused.. why a cable lift on a trailer?

It saves space.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/12 3:24 p.m.

I've used the cable assemblies off Ford trucks on a couple of trailers. It's by far the best way to haul the spare if you have the ground clearance for it. They were pretty east to fab a mount for. If you can get the mount off the truck. Then all you need to do it weld or bolt it to the trailer.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
9/17/12 3:41 p.m.

Also, grand caravans with stow and go have one under the drivers seat. Nice thing is that there is a shell that holds the wheel assembly that lowers down, not just a bracket through the wheel.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/17/12 7:38 p.m.

Ford F150s and F250s

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xo7OHkvrpZQTCUwh8407oGCKDXmGpVFgHsDhA3ylCpBz0nkNl1jMBEDSdTgRPg1a