stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/4/23 10:25 p.m.

There are a bunch of videos up today of the latest car from Gordon Murray Automotive, the T33 Spyder.  I watched the video on Harry's Garage but there are a half dozen others, go check it out.  It's definitely one of those "if I ever win the lottery" cars.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
4/5/23 8:16 a.m.

I just happened across Schmee's video. It's an absolutely gorgeous car, it has such a wonderful presence, even on camera - fast, purposeful, and exotic, but also... friendly?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/23 8:37 a.m.

Cars like that do nothing for me. I doubt I'd drive it if I had one in the garage. It's pretty useless on today's roads. You would basically have to idle around all the time. Like almost every other supercar, it's a status symbol and a way to measure wealth.

I have no need to show off what I'm made of and on a day-to-day basis and for track abuse, the Corvette is probably a better car in every way. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/5/23 9:55 a.m.

That's what I like so much about the T.33. It wasn't designed to be a useless headline-chasing numbers-focused hypercar. It sits higher than the T.50, it rides smoother, and its styling is simple and timeless. It's still plenty fast, has a manual trans, and a NA V12, but weighs no more than a Miata. Just seems like the perfect sports car I'd want to drive if I had the money. Of course it will become an instant collector due to the name attached to it, so these likely won't get driven as much as they should. But I sure would put some miles on it.

Toyman!
4/5/23 10:43 a.m.

It's $35 million.

It's a statement, not a car.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
4/5/23 11:48 a.m.

I'm not sure where you got $35m, but most outlets report a price of 1.8m euros.

Still an insane amount of money, but not quite that insane. Lots of hypercars cost in the millions these days, and its refreshing to see something so focused on the romanticism of the driving experience. It's a special car no doubt, and if I happened to have 2 mil burning a hole in my pocket I can't think of a car I'd want more.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
4/5/23 12:06 p.m.

It has........ CURVES!

In this era of folded Origami styled supercars this actually has some genuinely pretty design elements. It is almost a retro design.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
4/5/23 12:13 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

That's what I like so much about the T.33. It wasn't designed to be a useless headline-chasing numbers-focused hypercar. It sits higher than the T.50, it rides smoother, and its styling is simple and timeless. It's still plenty fast, has a manual trans, and a NA V12, but weighs no more than a Miata. Just seems like the perfect sports car I'd want to drive if I had the money. Of course it will become an instant collector due to the name attached to it, so these likely won't get driven as much as they should. But I sure would put some miles on it.

An interesting part of the t50 is that Gordon Murray originally planned to use a sequential transmission but went with the manual after customers etc talked him into doing it.

Toyman!
4/5/23 2:14 p.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

You are correct. It was $35m to get the car fully homologated to the US market. Sorry about that.

$2.3 million per copy is still a stupid amount of money for a car. The average person buying it is going to be more interested in having 1 of 100 than having a performance car. 

I think it's great that they build them. I think it's great that people can afford them. They just leave me cold. I don't understand the appeal. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/5/23 5:25 p.m.

That's why I called it an "if I won the lottery" car.  In real life my tastes are much more modest (my newest car was built in 1988).  However, if I suddenly was given a big check for $250 million I'd probably splurge, and I'd be rich enough to use the thing as a daily driver.  

I don't play the lottery either, so the whole thing is a pipe dream anyway.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/23 10:23 p.m.

Cool car concept wise, cool center steering. Boring bar of soap shape that looks like every other British super car from the last 25 years. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
4/5/23 11:27 p.m.

Some of his designs really suck. cheeky

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/6/23 7:27 a.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

The T50 is center steer, this one is conventionally designed.  Styling is subjective but I think the T33 is very pretty.

Toyman!
4/6/23 8:33 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

That's why I called it an "if I won the lottery" car.  In real life my tastes are much more modest (my newest car was built in 1988).  However, if I suddenly was given a big check for $250 million I'd probably splurge, and I'd be rich enough to use the thing as a daily driver.  

I don't play the lottery either, so the whole thing is a pipe dream anyway.

If I had several hundred million in the bank, I'd probably look at the car in a different light as well. Of the supercars, it is better looking than just about anything else. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/23 8:41 a.m.

I watched The Late Brake video on the car.  It only comes with a manual, has no touch screens, decent luggage capacity and a Cosworth NA V12.  If I had stupid money that would be at the top of my new car list, but Mr Murray said they would be sold out very quickly. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
4/6/23 11:22 a.m.

The t50 comes on,y with a manual the t33 comes with a manual and an automatic of some sort. I think the styling is good and a nice change from many other super cars which are very overstyled at times and honestly many things just added. Gordon Murray's cars have a very nice smooth clean look.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/23 2:09 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

In the vido I watched Gordon said that they were going to offer a flappy paddle but there were only like two requests for it so for cost reasons they scrapped it.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/6/23 3:31 p.m.

Love the T33 Spider and coupe. I've watched several interviews with Gordon Murray about this car and he definitely designed it to be used and enjoyed. The Cosworth V12 is a work of art. I'd echo the "if I win the lottery" sentiment but with only 100 being built aren't they all spoken for already?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9hnRNhT4oHuRp8BwrHHxdmk1GrEOcw2b7kuesd3XRCrhq0hClaLQBwot9rRCxFN6