ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
8/12/08 10:34 p.m.

So I am refinishing these cool Pedrini basketweaves and one of them has a ding

I tried a block of wood and a 3lb hammer for an hour and got nowhere. These puppies are tough, Must have been a hell of a crub that bit it

Today I had an idea, and gave it a go.

My trusty 3 jaw puller loaned out one of its arms and pivots

A piece of 3/8" thick 3" angle formed the fulcrum, some 1/2"X1" stock the body and some scrap 3/4" tubing acts as a handle

Looks like what I had in mind so lets give it a go

Hey it fits! The tough part was holding the wheel. At first I clamped it to my workbench and promptly tore the bench top off of it. Wedged it under the deck in the backyard and lifted that right off its footings. I ended up jacking up the rear of the convertible and setting its tire down on the wheel face, then I was able to apply some force. I moved the tool three times and managed a pretty good radius.

Not perfect but 99% better

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/12/08 11:04 p.m.

it does look better. You have more balls than me to try something like that.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/13/08 2:22 a.m.

Excellent work, good idea!

Bryce

geomiata
geomiata Reader
8/13/08 3:02 a.m.

genius

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/13/08 5:06 a.m.

things like this are why i love this board

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/08 6:50 a.m.

While the welder is warm, build a small tripod with a heavy base and a mount flange for a hub assembly and bolt the wheel down on it ;)

That is by the way the coolest DIY I have seen on this board.

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
8/13/08 8:59 a.m.

Totally sweet. I managed to pound flat spots out of two bent Momos that I had years ago. They held up fine. That was with the wood block + hammer technique.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/13/08 9:57 a.m.

We took out a Roadmaster with the Toyota Truck once. Bent the steel rim and broke a tie rod end. I put a new tie rod end on and beat the rim back to about round with a 4 lb sledge hammer on the side of the road. Still using it today, 12 years later. Buick pieces all over the road. They towed the Roadmaster off.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lddljmSHSoTsLPCpzjE1BHVJh6sapdD7fG3Vc39ytpSXpYzWNmANxsfuS2QUW3Tv