Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/5/08 8:35 p.m.

We put the cage and other safety equipment in our 24 Hours Of LeMons car today. Welding in a cage in 100 degree heat is not the most fun I have ever had, but the Autopower cage we got fit well and we also got the window net, extinguisher, seats and belts in. Story to come. I have teamed up with Tom Cotter, John Finger (IMSA and Chimney Rock Hill Climb fame) and Bill Warner (runs Amelia Island Concours). to drive at the CMP event the last weekend in July. Any readers that want to join in on the wackiness should come out.

Also looking for 87 Camaro wheels and tires. Also wondering if 93 Camaro 17" wheels would fit well and work well. Any Camaro freaks out there?

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/5/08 9:22 p.m.

If these fit, I'm guessing anything will?

(just steal JG's wheels when he ain't lookin'.)

Might recommend www.thirdgen.org for research.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/5/08 9:25 p.m.

Procrastinators. We had the cage done in our car by March, along with the wheels/tires/suspension. It's even painted. All that's left is hanging good front brake pads, some cheap gauges and some, er, 'theme' stuff.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/6/08 5:53 a.m.

Procrastinators? I think I mentioned in another thread that we have had a little bit going on here at GRM world headquarters this spring.

There is a NASA event two weeks before at CMP. I am trying to con Jim Pantas into letting us test the car then. I think I have him convinced that it really is an American Iron car.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/08 6:13 a.m.

Also Tim, 16" S10 wheels are racing hearty and usually cheaper than the Camaro wheels. Fit like a glove.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/6/08 2:23 p.m.

Cool to hear about the project and the vehicle selection. Very smart with all the AI and AS leftovers that can probably be had for free (like tires!).

When shopping IROC wheels (...if shopping IROC wheels) keep in mind that they used a slightly different offset front and rear. Fronts can be used all around the car. Depending on your setup, you might be able to use rears all around as well...hard to say. I don't remember the reason...maybe the rear disk brakes or something...

If you don't have an Iroc though...pretty much any 5 on 4.75 wheel will work...too easy.

Clem

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
6/6/08 3:58 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: Procrastinators. We had the cage done in our car by March, along with the wheels/tires/suspension. It's even painted. All that's left is hanging good front brake pads, some cheap gauges and some, er, 'theme' stuff.

We haven't started yet. Surprised? Thank God it doesn't have to look pretty...or stay together.

Rojofro
Rojofro New Reader
6/9/08 4:05 p.m.

If anyone knows of a team that needs a driver (with funds...) My team disbanded and I would still like to compete...

I ran in the Grassroots UTCC last year and took 3rd in the Independant Varsity class for reference. Already have a racing license, gear etc...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/9/08 4:43 p.m.

I have some buddies in Columbia who need some fab help and they are short of time. Go to scr-scca.com, PM either MattP or racerjon.

RobL
RobL New Reader
6/9/08 10:45 p.m.
I have teamed up with Tom Cotter, John Finger (IMSA and Chimney Rock Hill Climb fame) and Bill Warner (runs Amelia Island Concours). to drive at the CMP event the last weekend in July. Any readers that want to join in on the wackiness should come out.

See you there

--Rob

The Schumacher Taxi Service

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
6/11/08 9:16 p.m.

Team SAAB Story will see you guys out there....

MattP
MattP None
6/12/08 8:46 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: I have some buddies in Columbia who need some fab help and they are short of time. Go to scr-scca.com, PM either MattP or racerjon.

Yes, we ended up having to punt, car couldn't be ready in time. Anybody need another driver? I can bring lots of tools, a portapower, and a truck and trailer if necessary. I also know CMP decently well.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/15/08 8:17 p.m.

Well, the ThunderTerd made its, er, 'competition debut' yesterday. Hard to believe anyone would want to be seen with this POS, but here it is. Still has a little, er, 'image' stuff to go.

The guy driving seems happy, doesn't he? He doesn't know that when the dust settles he's going to be dead last in Pro class.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
6/16/08 7:23 p.m.

he still drove a car didn't he?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/08 8:21 p.m.

tim,

93+ wheels = too much backspace.

any iroc wheels, s10 16's, firebird wheels from 82-92 work. the 85ish trans am wheels are 16x8 too and people seem to off them cheap.

Rojofro
Rojofro New Reader
6/18/08 8:51 a.m.

Hey Tim,

If Chuck and Rob can get your Triumph to quit puking water outta the radiator I'll drive her down to the event for a couple beers. Looks like you had as much fun as the Viper did in the heat last week...

Watched her run on the rollers yesterday. Didnt think such a small car could be so damn LOUD

AutoXR
AutoXR New Reader
6/18/08 10:55 a.m.

I have a set of Z51 87 vette wheels. 16x9.5's with tires in good shape

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IUJ4sSK9Qda7LdUSUSrTkw6AvwtTJ19Oz9ydD3K8WCYRFbzMiZMJoLcGe4qrdMFn