1 2
Raze
Raze Reader
7/2/09 8:38 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
White_and_Nerdy wrote: The P71 build is an interesting idea. As-is, it's basically a poor man's BMW 540i.
I'm not sure anything more wrong has ever been said.

"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." - Yogi Berra...

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/2/09 8:39 a.m.

I still like the idea of an uber low budget FWD drag car build.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
7/2/09 8:42 a.m.

I'd like to see a Mk1 Fiesta, or a Datsun Roadster.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/09 8:50 a.m.

Maybe it's because the Neon hasn't been in the magazine much beyond "we sold the first one, the new has a blown motor, we blew up the new motor too". Love the paint job idea!

Of course I'd love to see a P71 done up GRM style

I'd also love a 1G DSM, but after hearing Starquest (and having to stare at a gold narrow-body Conquest Turbo at work every day) I'd rather see that. Maybe an LS1 Starquest? That would solve high-HP, LS1-swap, old Japanese car, and a RWD project all in one. Then when you get ready to sell it we can all clamour and bite each other until somebody gets the honor of owning it...

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/2/09 8:53 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: I still like the idea of an uber low budget FWD drag car build.

This would be neat.... or even AWD. That GVR4 in Tampa would fit the bill. Or find a ratty Celica AllTrac, 323GTX, etc....

But i would be VERY interested in a cheap drag build of some kind.

I mean, hell... you guys built a drift car that was radical enough to be disqualified initially. What kind of strangeness could you come up with with a cheap drag car?

mw
mw Reader
7/2/09 9:35 a.m.

I'd still like an autox built hyundai accent.

mw
mw Reader
7/2/09 9:38 a.m.

A b body project would be cool too. I have a friend with a modded SS that surprizes many people at autox events.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
7/2/09 11:16 a.m.
mw wrote: I'd still like an autox built hyundai accent.

Now THAT would be cool and different.

I've thought about buying a Hyundai, Kia, Suzuki or other cheap but still newish Asian car for use as a fun DD and maybe occasional RalllyX or AutoX.

What stops me is that I really don't know what can be done with one of those and what aftermarket stuff exists for them.

Autolex
Autolex Reader
7/2/09 11:35 a.m.

I am looking forward to seeing where per's new VW project goes!

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
7/2/09 11:44 a.m.

Why all the talk about a Vorshlag LSx E36??? I think the LSx E36 would be an awesome project, but not with a kit, rather, with some internet research and a little blood, sweat, and tears. To me, that defines the whole concept of Grassroots. Yes, you CAN spend some serious coin if you buy a bunch of parts from "Expensive R Us" that is well sorted and end up with a fast car...but you didn't really do any of the work and paid through the nose to get a car that performs similar to a Corvette you could have had for the same price, with the same/better powertrain, with 1000% less effort.

Maybe I'm getting rosy colored glasses, but it seems like buying X parts from Y companies for Z project car of the day is kind of boring. Doing some custom work to get similar results for 75% less money in exchange for 150% more time is much more interesting. I really liked that about the Saab project, lots of the work (especially metal/body work) was done on the cheap with a little extra sweat and very good results. This is the style of work that got me hooked to GRM in the first place. Any idiot can go buy a Civic/Miata/E30/whatever and buy a set of coilovers, exhaust, intake, tires and wheels, and rebuild the suspension and brakes...this is catalog-parts building. Little to no custom work, just bust out a checkbook and you've got yourself a competitive racer. Likewise with a Vorshlag E36 LSx kit.

To reiterate, I would LOVE to see an E36 LSx project. This is a lot of project, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in people that like the E36 chassis (handling, value, looks, weight, etc.) and the LSx engine (power, value, weight, packaging, availability, reliability, etc.). They belong together, and GRM could have a series towards that idea as they've done with other engine swaps in the past. However, several thousand dollars ($6k and counting, last I checked) for a Vorshlag kit is WAY out of grassroots realm...that doesn't even include the engine/trans/wiring yet. IMO, the grassroots mindset is to get an LSx in there (complete) for less than the cost of that kit alone. $700 for some poly mounts? How about hanging the engine in place, making some cardboard templates, and building your own mounts for $50. $2900 for some headers? How about showing some tricks used to build up your own headers (there are some really neat ideas/tools out there for this nowadays) and build your own with $500 worth of materials. $200 for a couple of power steering hoses? Every larger city has an industrial hose supply store...show how to identify/assemble/size the lines and fittings and get your own hoses made locally for $50.

Throw my vote in for the BMW 357 project. I like weird project cars way more than the vanilla stuff...I can turn to lots of other magazines (that I don't subscribe to) for the catalog builds.

Some other projects that I think would be fun to see, in no particular order:

• Civic AWD...what are they capable of? We've seen tons of Civic/CRX stuff in the past, but I don't recall ever seeing any AWD stuff in the magazine. How about comparing them to the Subies that have seen so much coverage? Comparison to DSMs? Maybe an AWDs through the eras comparo? The next multipurpose rallycross/autocross/wagon-hatch project?
  • SUV/pickup that can handle....is it even possible??? It comes up here on the boards all the time. Has GRM ever tried to make one that can handle? Most conversations end up with discussions around smaller pickups with modified suspensions, usually parts bin stuff but not always. What about a tuned Previa? Maybe do another minivan comparo with the modified pickup/suv?
  • Ongoing weight reduction. Take ANY car, preferably one that hasn't already been thoroughly examined (E30/Miata/etc.) and do iterative weight reduction from mild to extreme, and document levels of improvement compared to amount of time/money spent. So many people talk about how newer cars are burdened with all this weight...how much faster would that new car be if it had very similar equipment to an old car (no AC, power mirrors/windows/seats/locks, minimalist stereo, etc.)? What about replacing metal panels with composites...seems easy and lots of people do it, but is it worth it?
  • Ditto for aero improvements. Take weight reduction car and do iterative aero improvements from mild to extreme, document change versus effort/money. Should I put a front wing on my Scion? Will improvements made for track speeds show improvements at the autocross?

Just some "out of the norm" ideas.

Bryce

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/2/09 1:10 p.m.

I'll go ahead and +1 all of the above.

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
7/2/09 1:30 p.m.

I really like the P71 idea for the low buckitude of it all. Then there's the LSX into a 3 series. Like Bryce said, it could serve in so many ways. Or you guys could come pick up my GLH, build the heck outta it and lemme come get it back?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/09 8:42 p.m.

GRM did just do an E30 though (which I honestly didn't read, German cars do nothing for me so I'm not excited about the VW either).

I still say an LS1 swapped Starquest.

seeker589
seeker589 New Reader
7/3/09 8:34 a.m.

How about a Hot Rod autocrosser? Junk-yard special using cast-off parts. Think Max Balchowski and Duffy Livingston.

I was thinking the other day about a Corvette C4. One of the cheapest and best performing Vettes for the money. Start with a tuned-port car - automatic OK.

They can be had for less than $4K in drivable condition with some shopping. Change the somewhat unreliable electronics to independant systems such as Mega-squirt, and Painless wiring for the body electronics with analog guages (digital blows)- all while maintaining smog validation.

See how much it would take to make it reliable and fast, but REALLY affordable Vette, doing as many different motorsports venues as possible. I.E. - Autocross, HPDE, Time trials, Hillclimbing, Drags, Land-Speed, Open Road racing and what-ever can be thought of on asphalt.

I wonder how fast a $8000 (total budget) C4 Vette could be using used, cast-off, unwanted or junk-yard parts.

Per - Projects are self-funded? Do you get any parts or discounts from advertisers?

somapusher
somapusher New Reader
7/3/09 9:34 a.m.

How about a 2000-2001 Nissan Sentra SE? It came with a SR20DE and roller rockers. Even better then free...I let you use mine. Just give it back.

snipes
snipes New Reader
7/3/09 1:58 p.m.

I am down with the starquest or RX7 turbo II or one of these with a hard top they are under $10,000 now. Maybe not orange please.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mrXlpO5ooFpxKob1raAUHde9kCcAdrdPMTIQUPiNsO2VMBPqYX6ExKSBM3p0Nrae