1 2 3
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/12/15 10:52 a.m.

it is a good looking ride. I am looking at sub $18k new hatchbacks(though the sedan isnt too bad with the sonic)

And since the non-st fiestas are banned in scca street i have started looking at the 1.4t sonics.

They seem like decent rides with a decent aftermarket/tuning community.

The trifecta tune seems to gain 44hp and 51 ftlbs at the wheels.

opinions?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/15 11:10 a.m.

underrated little performers.

evildky
evildky Dork
1/12/15 11:49 a.m.

I have a problem with GM 4 cylinder cars, they tend to disappear from the roads after 10 years or so. This one being from GM korea maybe it will fair better?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/12/15 11:57 a.m.

They are already closing in on 10K used fast. There is one (MT 1.4T with 48k miles) for 10k around here. That is a pretty steep drop off for a compact car.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
1/12/15 12:02 p.m.

I haven't taken a look at the performance versions, but the regular versions say "My dreams have died and I wish I had too."

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
1/12/15 12:15 p.m.

^^agreed. But the RS ones look pretty decent, as does the one you posted above. But I think if I was after a small, cheaper hatchback with some sporting pretentions, I'd probably get an old Saab 900 Turbo haha.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/12/15 12:19 p.m.

I had an LTZ sedan (auto trans) as a rental car a few months back. Looking at it in the context of what it is...an econocar...I was impressed with it. It had a nice chassis feel, and I liked the interior.

I've seen them in the $10-$12k used range too for an RS. If you're looking for a newer, low mileage modern car in that price range, seems to be an interesting option.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/12/15 12:28 p.m.

They're ok appliances, but don't expect fiST performance from one.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
1/12/15 12:40 p.m.

In reply to evildky:

Really?? I still see cavaliers all over the place... Like cockroaches they are.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/12/15 1:43 p.m.
evildky wrote: I have a problem with GM 4 cylinder cars, they tend to disappear from the roads after 10 years or so. This one being from GM korea maybe it will fair better?

The problem is mainly the kind of people who buy GM 4 cylinder cars. It's just an economy car, who gives a E36 M3 about it? Run it until it falls apart to the point where it dies and then trade in the carcass on another one.

Treat them well and they are as good as anything else out there.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/15 1:47 p.m.

The Sonic is a big step up from the Spark.

evildky
evildky Dork
1/12/15 2:33 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to evildky: Really?? I still see cavaliers all over the place... Like cockroaches they are.

It's rare to see a cavalier anymore, the V6 fed gm cars seem to stick around and seem to be a favorite of the buy here pay here car lots. My sister has an 01 impala which constantly has some other common part failure but usually pretty simple to replace and the car keeps going.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
1/12/15 2:40 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: They are already closing in on 10K used fast. There is one (MT 1.4T with 48k miles) for 10k around here. That is a pretty steep drop off for a compact car.

Guy who works for me paid 12.5 for a 1.8 6mt version brand new. They feel pretty well put together but aren't there a bunch of engine claims already on the 1.4?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/12/15 2:50 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: it is a good looking ride. I am looking at sub $18k new hatchbacks(though the sedan isnt too bad with the sonic) And since the non-st fiestas are banned in scca street i have started looking at the 1.4t sonics.

Umm, I hate to break it to you, but the Sonic is excluded as well. Same reason.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/12/15 4:46 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:
singleslammer wrote: They are already closing in on 10K used fast. There is one (MT 1.4T with 48k miles) for 10k around here. That is a pretty steep drop off for a compact car.
Guy who works for me paid 12.5 for a 1.8 6mt version brand new. They feel pretty well put together but aren't there a bunch of engine claims already on the 1.4?

It is super easy to crank the power up on the 1.4 without even really retuning anything, just changing the torque functions in the engine controller.

I wonder if that has anything at all to do with it.

I know that I sure as heck will be turning up the wick if I get a Sonic or Cruze. I've never been accused of being very bright.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
1/12/15 4:50 p.m.
evildky wrote:
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to evildky: Really?? I still see cavaliers all over the place... Like cockroaches they are.
It's rare to see a cavalier anymore, the V6 fed gm cars seem to stick around and seem to be a favorite of the buy here pay here car lots. My sister has an 01 impala which constantly has some other common part failure but usually pretty simple to replace and the car keeps going.

I see cavaliers and sunfires all over the place. Dragging their sputtering unmaintained selves around as well as they ever did.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/12/15 5:09 p.m.

i like its looks better than the focus but I never heard anything about these cars. Is their Focus ST equivalent as good?

MrChaos
1/12/15 5:21 p.m.

In reply to kanaric:

iirc the Sonic RS is just an LTZ with Leather seats, four-wheel disc brakes, and a close-ratio six-speed manual transmission and some other interior stuff. no power upgrades at all. a decent suspension package and sone engine work should make them close to a stock ST but the ST is the de-facto hot hatch in the US since we dont get the 208 GTi or the Renault Megane RS265 Sport

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/12/15 6:00 p.m.

I'd go for it, but you have to understand that it's no Fiesta ST. It's a fun, decently chuckable economy car.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/12/15 6:01 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
evildky wrote:
I see cavaliers and sunfires all over the place. Dragging their sputtering unmaintained selves around as well as they ever did.

I know a guy who bought a sunfire last year when his cavalier failed. Why would anyone want to undergo the misery of two J-cars?

MrChaos
1/12/15 6:41 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I'd go for it, but you have to understand that it's no Fiesta ST. It's a fun, decently chuckable economy car.

O i know that and I dont expect it to be a FiST. I need a new dd that has a decent aftermarket and decent performance gains available. If i was in europe it would be a 1.0 fiesta since it has a good aftermarket there but since mountune and cobb refuse to do any tuning for the US 1.0 i am leaning to the sonic.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/12/15 6:48 p.m.
evildky wrote: I have a problem with GM 4 cylinder cars, they tend to disappear from the roads after 10 years or so. This one being from GM korea maybe it will fair better?

mine (a 2014) was made in Michigan

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/12/15 6:50 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:

mostly for leaking seals with the water pump

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/12/15 6:55 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
MrChaos wrote: it is a good looking ride. I am looking at sub $18k new hatchbacks(though the sedan isnt too bad with the sonic) And since the non-st fiestas are banned in scca street i have started looking at the 1.4t sonics.

the Sonic is listed under HS in the 2015 rules… doesn't differentiate between the 1.4T and the 1.8 … just says Sonic (2012 - 2015)

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2015-1-8_SCCA_Solo_Rules_book_online1.pdf

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/12/15 7:07 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
the Sonic is listed under HS in the 2015 rules… doesn't differentiate between the 1.4T and the 1.8 … just says Sonic (2012 - 2015) http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2015-1-8_SCCA_Solo_Rules_book_online1.pdf

Ah, they let it back in I guess (rollover numbers supplied?). It was excluded earlier... http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/sonic-banned-from-stock-class/44688/page1/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ETOWFShI3qVdFvBQvqCMWAf8sOSnfFSP0WFEvjLH3TCPYpbb8Sus4byEmzorXKMk