1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/12 5:59 a.m.

I CAN'T PICK JUST 100!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! (bang...).

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/1/12 7:14 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Maroon92 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to Maroon92: Neither of the Porsches are road cars.
BOTH of the Porsches are road cars. Every single 904 and 906 was road registered.
Maroon's got a point..rally cars back then needed road car registration back then to do the TSD stages between the special stages.

Yeah but the XKSS was nixed so the two Porsches are basically on the same boat.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/12 8:07 a.m.

Sorry if this is a repost. I didn't see one, but I might have missed it. Jag C Type. I personally think it's every bit as beautiful as an E-type.

And a '67? Iso Griffo

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
3/1/12 8:14 a.m.

Daimler SP-250 "Dart"

kidding.....kidding!!

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/1/12 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I thought there was a Mk III road going version. Only about 7 made though.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/1/12 8:21 a.m.

How about I list what I think should NOT be on that list

10 68 Vette

27 Gran Turismo

28 NSX

30 Supra

45 Fiat should be swapped with the GTV6

47 Corvair

51 Firebird

54 996/997

56 New GTO

62 Scirroco

63 Vector W8

64 Shelby GLHS/Dodge Omni with Rampage grill

65 Corrado

these 13 cars show that they have no idea WTF they are doing.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/12 8:23 a.m.

Austin Healey 100, 3000, etc....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/1/12 8:27 a.m.
FlightService wrote: How about I list what I think should NOT be on that list #10 68 Vette #27 Gran Turismo #28 NSX #30 Supra #45 Fiat should be swapped with the GTV6 #47 Corvair #51 Firebird #54 996/997 #56 New GTO #62 Scirroco #63 Vector W8 #64 Shelby GLHS/Dodge Omni with Rampage grill #65 Corrado these 13 cars show that they have no idea WTF they are doing.

I agree with this minus the Gran Turismo which should be a lot lower and the Vette.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/12 9:07 a.m.
FlightService wrote: How about I list what I think should NOT be on that list #10 68 Vette #27 Gran Turismo #28 NSX #30 Supra #45 Fiat should be swapped with the GTV6 #47 Corvair #51 Firebird #54 996/997 #56 New GTO #62 Scirroco #63 Vector W8 #64 Shelby GLHS/Dodge Omni with Rampage grill #65 Corrado these 13 cars show that they have no idea WTF they are doing.

Who doesn't know what they are doing. Us?
BTW, I agree with most of what you listed. But I don't think you'll ever find two people that agree 100% on something like this. But and Omni? Seriously?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs New Reader
3/1/12 9:25 a.m.

a few more, maybe I missed these

Jaguar xj220

trying to find an original pic of this one was hard 41 willys coupe Kim K got nothing on this rear end

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 10:36 a.m.

If I accept the Cobra, then I have to to take the C-Type, KX SS, GT-40, 904, etc. And if I take all of that, then I might as well accept the 6 hand built AMX/3's, but it at #1, and flush the whole list down the toilet.

I'm writing the rules for the completely arbitrary and selfish reason of the fact that I started the thread and am doing all the editing, so I say they're out. If it's not a regular production car that anybody without a factory connection could buy at a dealership, it's out. This will probably be the end of the coachbuilt bespoke 20's/30's stuff as well.

As for the complainers, we don't have 100 cars yet. I know that a lot of cars will "fall off" as we get up there. Especially considering the content of what hasn't been added yet (Iso Griffo, 288GTO, XJ220, big Healy, 69 Mustang, etc). In fact, I don't think anything currently after 50 is safe at all.

These four though: 10 68 Vette 27 Gran Turismo 28 NSX 30 Supra

Are y'all blind? Those are all gorgeous to look at! Remember, this is about aesthetic looks, only. (To the Miata poster, yeah, this list is skin-deep only, and she ain't a looker).

Please keep the feedback coming! It's YOUR list (mostly ), and I can't be sure of what you want unless you say it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/1/12 10:41 a.m.

edited my post on page 1 to comply - apologies, I got all hot and bothered and posted before I read them completely.

Id also like to add one more,

Bocar XP-5

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/12 10:49 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Yeah but the XKSS was nixed so the two Porsches are basically on the same boat.

Way different boat... There were 16 XKSS. While the 904 was still relatively low production, there were 106.

I might concede the 906, as there were only 50 copies of that one made.

Javelin
3/1/12 10:55 a.m.

So is that the cutoff the masses want, 100?

I think that would include the 904 and the 289 Cobra, but none of the others. Help?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/12 11:21 a.m.
Javelin wrote: If I accept the Cobra, then I have to to take the C-Type, KX SS, GT-40, 904, etc. And if I take all of that, then I might as well accept the 6 hand built AMX/3's, but it at #1, and flush the whole list down the toilet. I'm writing the rules for the completely arbitrary and selfish reason of the fact that I started the thread and am doing all the editing, so I say they're out. If it's not a *regular production car* that anybody without a factory connection could buy at a dealership, it's out. This will probably be the end of the coachbuilt bespoke 20's/30's stuff as well. As for the complainers, we don't have 100 cars yet. I know that a lot of cars will "fall off" as we get up there. Especially considering the content of what hasn't been added yet (Iso Griffo, 288GTO, XJ220, big Healy, 69 Mustang, etc). In fact, I don't think anything currently after 50 is safe at all. These four though: 10 68 Vette 27 Gran Turismo 28 NSX 30 Supra Are y'all blind? Those are all *gorgeous* to look at! Remember, this is about aesthetic looks, only. (To the Miata poster, yeah, this list is skin-deep only, and she ain't a looker). Please keep the feedback coming! It's YOUR list (mostly ), and I can't be sure of what you want unless you say it.

IMO, the Gran Turismo and the Supra are benign at best. When I start thinking about all the beautiful cars made over the years, many of which aren't on this list, those are definite rejections. But it's your list. That makes it your 100 favorite cars, not really ours.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/12 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

One thing you are ignoring is that there are a ton more street version Cobras than all those others you mentioned. Especially if you consider, like I do, that the continuation Cobras are real. The Shelby registry does.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/1/12 12:24 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I'm writing the rules for the completely arbitrary and selfish reason of the fact that I started the thread and am doing all the editing, so I say they're out. If it's not a *regular production car* that anybody without a factory connection could buy at a dealership, it's out. This will probably be the end of the coachbuilt bespoke 20's/30's stuff as well.

This means pretty much no '20/'30s high end cars will be on list because they were all hand built and the '30s was the period when the most beautiful cars were built.

Javelin
3/1/12 12:29 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

If you have tons more cars, then post them!

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/1/12 12:35 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Javelin wrote: I'm writing the rules for the completely arbitrary and selfish reason of the fact that I started the thread and am doing all the editing, so I say they're out. If it's not a *regular production car* that anybody without a factory connection could buy at a dealership, it's out. This will probably be the end of the coachbuilt bespoke 20's/30's stuff as well.
This means pretty much no '20/'30s high end cars will be on list because they were all hand built and the '30s was the period when the most beautiful cars were built.

They should stay....for the simple reason, no matter who built the body, they are still Duesenbergs,Packards etc.

If they go, all of the different Ferrari's have to go: Pinninfarina, Vignale, Michelotti etc.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
3/1/12 12:47 p.m.

One of my personal favourites.

Javelin
3/1/12 12:58 p.m.

Ruling from on high!

Reading through the interesting competition histories of the 1960's... The FIA maintained that you had to build 100 street versions for a race car to legally race in GT (otherwise they were in prototype). Ferrari hood-winked them with the 250GTO, only making 36, so the FIA came down on them hard.

So, in the spirit of the times: If it's post-war, there has to be at least 100 street versions produced (over the lifetime) to be included. Note that there were the following for Cobras: 126 Mk I's, 528 Mk II's, 269 Mk III's, and 31 Mk III S/C (so 3 of the 4 get in). The Mk III S/C is what all of the kit makers copy (and Shelby, who is the only one still be a licensed manufacturer to sell completed cars), of which there's been like eleventy thousand, so it's in, too.

There were only 107 total GT-40's (only 7 of which were built from the start as road cars). Half of them are J-tubs. None were ever raced in GT, they are OUT.

The 250GTO was a scam, it's OUT (as is the 250LM).

Only 16 XKSS's, they are OUT.

Only 52 C-Type's built, they are OUT.

Now, for the pre-war cars. That's a much tougher call. For those, I'm going to say there has to have been a "production". That should include the most famous re-bodies (as the coachbuilders would make a dozen or so of the same design) and exclude the 1-offs.

That means the Rolls Phantom I is in, however, the pic we have is NOT the as-produced Phantom. My knowledge on pre-war stuff is very small, so I'd appreciate some help on culling the allowed from the 1-offs.

Thanks!

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/1/12 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I will concede the GT-40, however, your numbers are incorrect.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/12 2:05 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Ruling from on high! Reading through the interesting competition histories of the 1960's... The FIA maintained that you had to build 100 street versions for a race car to legally race in GT (otherwise they were in prototype). Ferrari hood-winked them with the 250GTO, only making 36, so the FIA came down on them *hard*. So, in the spirit of the times: If it's post-war, there has to be *at least* 100 street versions produced (over the lifetime) to be included. Note that there were the following for Cobras: 126 Mk I's, 528 Mk II's, 269 Mk III's, and 31 Mk III S/C (so 3 of the 4 get in). The Mk III S/C is what all of the kit makers copy (and Shelby, who is the only one still be a licensed manufacturer to sell completed cars), of which there's been like eleventy thousand, so it's in, too. There were only 107 *total* GT-40's (only 7 of which were built from the start as road cars). Half of them are J-tubs. None were ever raced in GT, they are OUT. The 250GTO was a scam, it's OUT (as is the 250LM). Only 16 XKSS's, they are OUT. Only 52 C-Type's built, they are OUT. Now, for the pre-war cars. That's a much tougher call. For those, I'm going to say there has to have been a "production". That should include the most famous re-bodies (as the coachbuilders would make a dozen or so of the same design) and exclude the 1-offs. That means the Rolls Phantom I is in, however, the pic we have is NOT the as-produced Phantom. My knowledge on pre-war stuff is very small, so I'd appreciate some help on culling the allowed from the 1-offs. Thanks!

Changing the rules as we go.... I see how you are.
I do have to say that when I think about it, the requirements for judging beauty in an automobile really have no relevance to the requirements for racing or street. Beautiful is beautiful. A beautiful design is a singular thing. You can make the rules, since you are the ruler here, but you are excluding some of the most beautiful cars ever, making the list kind of meaningless.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
3/1/12 2:10 p.m.

In reply to FlightService:

Hey, I think the Charger was the best looking domestic car of the 80s. FYI: The Charger had that nose before the Rampage did. Non-Shelbys went to the four headlight nose in 1984. The Shelbys retained the two headlight nose. Actually, the 1984 Rampage had a four headlight nose as well.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
3/1/12 2:18 p.m.

My nominees

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jMLus60qk1jLif9W8ufXdhsjhgBbbYLlDIJQXLkzH0HDewsG0NZl15ug1hkNpj6h