1 2
ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/27/12 11:06 p.m.

Well I couldn't live without an silly old car for too long. I've bought something this weekend but it will be delivered on Tuesday. I can't wait. The budget was quite limited so it is in pretty awful shape, in fact it might be the worse example of this model in the world.

Some hints

Second oldest car I've ever owned Sold in Canada but not the US Reasonably rare -around 10K made over the model life Had some novel mechanical features (which my example is missing all of) One of the first cars from this manufacturer who still exists. Jay Leno owns a much nicer example ...

Probably everyone else except you folks will think I'm nuts.

guess

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
5/27/12 11:11 p.m.

Subaru Justy?

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
5/27/12 11:12 p.m.

I'm gonna go with Fiat Topolino. No idea what year though....I'd guess 1940s.

Your picture being of the little side vent thing in front of the doors

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/27/12 11:19 p.m.

Neither of those. My oldest car was a 1962 VW Beetle so it is a little bit newer than that.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
5/27/12 11:25 p.m.

My second guess is Mazda Cosmo. Late 1960s. Which, if the case, is pretty damn cool.

Or Citroen SM, but I think those were sold in the US at some point so probably not.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/27/12 11:28 p.m.

Sadly not a Cosmo. I paid well under challenge money for it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
5/28/12 12:50 a.m.

You Got me. That picture is a really bad hint.

I would say Tatra 603, but that wasn't sold in Canada. I would also say NSU Spider, but that picture doesn't look like anything on the car.

Can we have another hint?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
5/28/12 12:56 a.m.

Not a Hyundai Stellar. Please say it's not....

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
5/28/12 12:57 a.m.

Hmm..

That's the front door edge and fender trim from a Honda S600

What do I win?

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/28/12 7:39 a.m.

I have already owned a Stellar for the record

Wow - awesome - S600 it is! This one is a 1965 and is really only a shell. Apparently it was a guy's project years ago and he put in Chevy 350 with three carbs in it! So the engine and the chain drive rear end are missing. I plan to rip off that awful hood blister, fix the hood. Then fix the floors and steering wheel. Then find some sort of 4cyl, rwd drivetrain to toss in. I guess some seats too to make myself a S600 rat rod. I paid $500 and probably over paid. I'd like to stay on a Challenge type budget. Getting to the actual Challenge would be a long shot given the distance but maybe.

As far as engine I think whatever fits and I can get a good deal one but fire away suggestions.

ok pictures and keep in mind about what I said about the world's worst example ...

1965 Honda S600

Hmmm ... the interior is pretty bad. Anyway to save that wheel? I'd need a new rim section.

1965 Honda S600 interior

cool finned drums at the front. Stock wheel at the front. Rears are something else.

1965 Honda S600 wheel

1965 Honda S600

octavious
octavious New Reader
5/28/12 7:43 a.m.

Oooo....that poor car.

Glad you are planning to bring it back.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
5/28/12 7:46 a.m.

You are very brave.

Luke
Luke UberDork
5/28/12 7:48 a.m.

Yup, that's probably a contender for 'worst example' . 'Cept it's an S600, so it's still cool by default .

I've seen a few with Datsun A-series swaps and Toyota K-series swaps, (out of Datsun Sunnys and early Corollas etc., respectively). Probably a cheap way to go about it.

...bike engine would be cool, though

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
5/28/12 8:07 a.m.

I had a guy bring one of those by my shop a few years ago that had been fitted (and I use that term loosly) with a 289 and automatic out of an early Mustang. The Ford shifter looked like what might be drawn in a "Keep on Truckin" cartoon.

Makes a Topolino altered seem sensible.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/28/12 8:22 a.m.

I figured with $500 in what is the worst that can happen? I sell it on to another sucker/dreamer and then I can always say I've owned a S600.

These were sold in Canada and there are a few kicking around. I'd like to find a set of headlight surrounds. Probably make my own grill.

A bike engine would be cool but they seem to be decent money here. The S2000 is very rare in Canada and I doubt I could source an engine cheaply. I want to keep this whole project cheap since there is a good possibility it will be a fool's errand.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/12 8:26 a.m.

If there was any car begging for a K20 swap, this would be it.

Wonder if it'd fit under that little trunklid.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/28/12 8:30 a.m.

I'll see tomorrow when it gets home. Possibilities are totally open at this stage. I have a Triumph Spitfire gas tank, Datsun 210 radiator and some Lada Niva gauges I can add into it if needed.

psychic_mechanic
psychic_mechanic Dork
5/28/12 8:45 a.m.
ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/28/12 9:05 a.m.
psychic_mechanic wrote: We've got a good steering wheel fabrication / repair thread

Thanks ... reading.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
5/28/12 9:39 a.m.

Keep in mind, I know nothing about bike engines..

What about an engine from a CBX?

I've always thought I6 bike engines were awesome.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
5/28/12 9:48 a.m.

Since the original engine was essentially a bike engine, I vote for some big Honda bike motor. Find a wrecked Gold Wing or something.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/28/12 10:33 a.m.

I don't know too much about bike engines either. I remember from my Locost days that they can be a bit of a pain in left hand drive cars. Certainly a possibility though.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/28/12 10:35 a.m.

Looks Fun!

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
5/28/12 10:41 a.m.
ArthurDent wrote: I don't know too much about bike engines either. I remember from my Locost days that they can be a bit of a pain in left hand drive cars. Certainly a possibility though.

Converting that car to right hand could be one of the least difficult tasks you face.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
5/28/12 10:43 a.m.
ArthurDent wrote: 1965 Honda S600

What is the wagon in the background?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s2xDiXy5yCP5PAI0IHGWHs8txiMUjNvIMorOKQBcqRB5Jx6WpfOrPXAtvrlshUUJ