1 2
Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
8/16/18 11:30 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

looks like you can get the hellcat in "standard" or widebody, the latter of which comes with the aforementioned brembo 6-piston calipers, 305/35R20 tires, and fender flares that widen the car 3.5"

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/17/18 5:32 a.m.

Its interesting how Dodge chases more of an emotion than outright performance numbers. When Motor Trend did a Head2Head of the Hellcat Widebody with the Camaro ZL1, they repeatedly said that while the ZL1 was superior in every performance metric, they just keep thinking about the Hellcat even while driving the ZL1

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/17/18 10:25 a.m.

One of the reasons I love the high-po Challengers is because they are real cars.  

You can see out of them, you can put real humans in the back seat, and they are comfortable to drive daily.  The same can't be said for the GT350, or the any Camaro.   Yes, both of those cars will murder any Challenger on track, but they aren't any more fun--- they just turn better lap times.  

For day to day practicality, I'll take a widebody Hellcat (6-speed) over a Mustang or Camaro all day long.  

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/17/18 10:34 a.m.
NickD said:

Its interesting how Dodge chases more of an emotion than outright performance numbers. When Motor Trend did a Head2Head of the Hellcat Widebody with the Camaro ZL1, they repeatedly said that while the ZL1 was superior in every performance metric, they just keep thinking about the Hellcat even while driving the ZL1

That's a HUGE statement right there. While the numbers aren't as good as the ugly Camero, the Challenger makes you keep thinking about it. In a good way.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/17/18 10:36 a.m.
NickD said:

No doubt, something like this (because I doubt I'll get to the track much at if all) makes my naught bits tingly. It's a tad low, and the wheel fitment a bit extreme, but man.

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/17/18 10:47 a.m.
DrBoost said:
NickD said:

That's a HUGE statement right there. While the numbers aren't as good as the ugly Camero, the Challenger makes you keep thinking about it. In a good way.

And I think people seem to confuse the fact that just because the Hellcat is not the best-handling car, does not mean it is a terrible-handling car. There's a big distinction there. It may give up a few numbers to the competition and not be as razor-sharp but it's not torsion-bars-and-leaf-springs-with-4-wheel-brakes bad like people make it out to be

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
8/17/18 11:44 a.m.
Strizzo said:

In reply to Driven5 :

looks like you can get the hellcat in "standard" or widebody, the latter of which comes with the aforementioned brembo 6-piston calipers, 305/35R20 tires, and fender flares that widen the car 3.5"

Yes, that too. But as written above the Hellcat portion, the article appears to (maybe) be talking about both a $40k 485hp R/T 'scat patk' and a $60k 485hp R/T 'scat pack' (track pack?) widebody with all the go-faster trimmings...Basically a widebody Hellcat, just without the hellcat engine?

Joe Gearin
8/17/18 12:19 p.m.
NickD said:
DrBoost said:
NickD said:

And I think people seem to confuse the fact that just because the Hellcat is not the best-handling car, does not mean it is a terrible-handling car. There's a big distinction there. It may give up a few numbers to the competition and not be as razor-sharp but it's not torsion-bars-and-leaf-springs-with-4-wheel-brakes bad like people make it out to be

I've driven the Hellcat Widebody on track and it's a hoot!  They are way more competent than some folks think.  Yes they are heavy, but a bazillioin horsepowers and great brakes can make up for a lot!  To me, they really are the ultimate muscle car.  Not sports car.... muscle car.  

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
8/17/18 12:29 p.m.

From the sound of it, I might actually go so far as to call the widebody trim(s) pro-touring cars rather than just muscle cars.

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/17/18 12:37 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:
NickD said:
DrBoost said:
NickD said:

I've driven the Hellcat Widebody on track and it's a hoot!  They are way more competent than some folks think.  Yes they are heavy, but a bazillioin horsepowers and great brakes can make up for a lot!  To me, they really are the ultimate muscle car.  Not sports car.... muscle car.  

That was exactly how Johnny Lieberman and Jethro Bovingdon put it "The Camaro ZL1 is a sports car, the Hellcat Widebody is the perfected musclecar"

I still want to take a Hellcat (widebody or not) to a local autocross and just blaze the tires for the entire run and likely kill every cone in sight.

Joe Gearin
8/17/18 2:49 p.m.

"That was exactly how Johnny Lieberman and Jethro Bovingdon put it"

Can't say I know who either of those guys are.....but if they agreed with me, they must be geniuses!  :)

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/17/18 2:57 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

"That was exactly how Johnny Lieberman and Jethro Bovingdon put it"

Can't say I know who either of those guys are.....but if they agreed with me, they must be geniuses!  :)

Jethro Bovingdon most recently drove a Mercedes AMG GT GT4 at the 24 Hours Of Nurburgring and did quite well, so that's good company to have the same opinion as

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/18 7:00 p.m.

Other than the widebody versions. I can't tell a 2010 challenger from a 2018 lol

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
8/17/18 7:10 p.m.
TRoglodyte said:
wearymicrobe said:
Tim Suddard said:

Nobody needs a nearly 800-horsepower muscle car to commute to work in the morning.

Yes I do.

Its how I show my manhood and love of the environment. 

Smoke a tire for me or two goodsir, and when you want an SRT to replace that furd... 

Still has the SRT just in ACR form. I buy my dodges used.

I really like the 392 stripper in the widebody. Not sure I could swing the 6K it costs but it makes me think about a used one a few years from now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N476lU9auVaebzrw5WYcRQN7g6t43K99Lnnb8gZiU5ZsoD66VmJMIzDH64LCWIGm