1 2
2.0dohc
2.0dohc Reader
2/1/15 11:59 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
Wally wrote:
914Driver wrote: I took the extra key to my BMW bike and removed all the plastic, leaving only the functional part. It fits nicely in my wallet behind a credit card. Beats calling AAA.
Do you get locked out of it often?
Never. But I don't want to be 100 miles from home and find out the keys are at the bottom of the skinny dipping hole.

Don't want to see any pics of the skinny dipping, but would love pics on how you get locked out of your bike.....

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
2/7/15 10:59 a.m.

Since you are apparently fine with a ginormous key anyway, my vote is to cut a 3"x1.5" chunk of leather out of the tongue of an old boot. Punch hole in middle, insert key, fold up over the head, punch additional holes for key ring, trim as desired. Bonus points for stitching up the sides like a steering wheel cover.

I can't stand giant keys like that so much that just last week I took the steering column on my wife's 2-week old Rav4 apart, taped one of the giant transponder keys inside, and put it back together. Now I can use regular $3 flat keys that actually fit on a ring with other keys.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
2/7/15 1:44 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy: Never thought of that! What a GRM idea!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/7/15 2:13 p.m.

My MIL has one of those proximity keys, it has to be within 20 feet or so and you can start the car.

I went there to drop off something and her car was running...... all night.

Senior moment?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/8/15 4:41 a.m.

I'd drill small holes one each side. Hear me out. Then I'd use fine wire to recreate the handle part. Then I'd cover it with epoxy. Basically low end composite work. It'll be ugly, but I think that's OK.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/8/15 5:40 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: I can't stand giant keys like that so much that just last week I took the steering column on my wife's 2-week old Rav4 apart, taped one of the giant transponder keys inside, and put it back together. Now I can use regular $3 flat keys that actually fit on a ring with other keys.

Brilliant! I'm stealing this.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
2/8/15 9:00 a.m.

Are you completely certain that it's the original key? I get and understand your attachment, but I wouldn't go so far as to try and fix that key so it will work on a key ring again.

jstand
jstand Reader
2/8/15 9:41 a.m.

I'd say put the sentimental one away someplace safe and get a new one for everyday use.

If it has sentimental value, why risk losing it with an untested fix?

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
2/8/15 9:56 a.m.

If I really wanted to keep that key I'd hot staple it and fill/paint to suit. Along the same line as the paper clip suggestion. You can bend the staples to shape. I use them to fix broken plastic pieces screw holes, bumper tabs, etc. Any body shop will have one and can staple it in seconds.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%2014%20Car%20Performance%20Therapy/002_zpsf42890fe.jpg.html][/URL]

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/9/15 10:15 a.m.

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was driving my Miata.

Would it be crazy to make a mold of the plastic piece, remove the key part from it, then cast a nickel or pewter replacement of the plastic part? I don't think it would ever break again.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/9/15 10:22 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I'd drill small holes one each side. Hear me out. Then I'd use fine wire to recreate the handle part. Then I'd cover it with epoxy. Basically low end composite work. It'll be ugly, but I think that's OK.

This, but I'd substitute sugru for epoxy

BeardedJag
BeardedJag Reader
2/9/15 11:07 a.m.

Sugru was the first thing to pop in my head too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/15 12:01 p.m.

You can make your own knockoff Sugru, look up Oogoo.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/9/15 12:50 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Typical GRM thread..."How do I glue this back together?" 6 "get a new key" responses. 5 "drill a hole" responses. One response using a hot paperclip which actually answered the question, and 2 "use gorilla glue" answers which also answer the question. I like these types of answers because you may end up finding a better solution than the one you were thinking of originally. I know sometimes folks get a little put out when people answer their questions by coming up with something other than asked, but I think they should just learn to take the suggestions for what they are worth and use them or not. Good luck on the Gorilla Glue, but I think I would go to the dealer, get a new key, then drill a new hole in it by using a hot paperclip, then I would carry it in my wallet.

Usually the request isn't covering a $3 OEM key blank and $0.99 to have it cut.....otherwise, you might have been onto something.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7AAYXCLOKVJ3EUGnPaPXW37L9nhN6DCN0UkQCW1T8rVpZClaHxXo7NLpDAhyalD6