1 2 3 4 ... 6
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/20 5:23 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

If you went to less boat would that then mean there is no need for an engine swap to the truck?  

This might be the easiest path.  

If you weren't a mod, I'd ask you to turn in your GRM card.  laugh

Yes, that is a possibility.  I think from the time I have spent driving with 3500 lbs and without, I can probably say that more power will still be in order with a 2500 lb boat.  Without the boat, it can maintain speed, but just maintain.  Put it this way... I can tell the difference in acceleration between a full tank of gas and empty, or with/without a passenger.  I'd like to not feel that.  (the difference, that is.  I might want to feel the passenger depending on who it is)

The short version is, it's bloody slow even when it's empty.

7/20/20 5:35 p.m.
gumby (Forum Supporter) said:

In a similar towing scenario, but with an '04 b3000 and various pull behinds in the range of 2000lb flat tow to 4000lbs plus a dolly. We both know that the heaviest combo was too much, and I only managed it very carefully for a short distance, just to get it done. Inbetween, I have done 3000lbs on the dolly thru the Appalachians, so I feel your third gear pain as well.

If you are planning on going to a smaller boat, tune up the 4.0 and KISS.
5.0 is the next simplest option, as you have fleshed out.
Trans decisions pending a final vote, and heavily impacting the budget, LS would probably be my choice if I was going v8 simply because you cannot get more for less, as long as you are fabbing your own mounts and such.

IMO neither v8 option is all that exciting, so thankfully function is the goal here. I chose to change platforms instead. I bought a Country Squire for me and will be handing the keys of my Branger over to my daughter.

Trans choices aren't the easiest either for me.  It really needs a lower first, but don't really need a granny gear.  The M5R1 (current) and M5R2 (what would go behind a 302) have similar ratio spreads - the former going from 3.72 to .79, and the latter going from 3.90 to .80.  I would really love a wider spread to get a first gear in the 4.125-ish range.  Truth is, when I really need a low range like launching the boat, I just go into 4-lo (which, with my manual hubs is actually 2-lo), but that doesn't help on the street.

I suppose it's possible to go 6 speed with a granny like a ZF6, but most of those are 3/4 ton range, and don't match up to my BW t-case.

7/20/20 5:41 p.m.
m4ff3w said:

Navistar VT275 ?

Ok, unless you know somewhere to get these cheaper, I just did some shopping.  $1000 gets you one with a rod sticking out of the side of the block and a free cab-over truck to go with it.  I found one other pull-out with unknown mileage for $9500.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/20/20 6:02 p.m.

I put an NSG370 in my '98 Cherokee and it was awesome.  4.46 to .84 6 speed.  The gear spacing made for very consistent RPM drops for 3rd-6th. That doesn't help with staying Ford, but could be handy if going Chevy.  272 ft∙lbs input rating, for reference. The NSG370 uses the regular Dodge transfer case bolt pattern.  I had it on a 242 transfer case. You can get an adapter to put it on an LS series motor if you get an NSG370 that originally went on the 4.0.  The Jeep 3.7 version only goes on the 3.7.  The input torque is more suited to V6 than V8.  Not saying you want to go this route, but there is some info that you don't have to look up, even if to just cross off the list.  Transmission weight was around 100 lbs, to give an idea of size.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/20 6:09 p.m.

VW TDI.. ..  V10?

302 with Carb sounds like the easy button.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/20/20 6:09 p.m.

Jimbbski has the correct answer. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/20/20 6:26 p.m.

Boat anchor engines go well with turbos. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/20/20 6:29 p.m.

A 302 seems like the best choice when considering cost and ease of installation. 

If you want crazy: 7.3 PSD. cheeky

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/20/20 6:31 p.m.

Find late 90's explorer with V8- take engine and trans, drop in truck.  Done.

Seems like the most straight forward solution to me, too.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/20 6:34 p.m.

How about that Mustang Ecobooooost drivetrain?

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/20/20 6:41 p.m.

I know of a om606 that's reasonably priced, it's in a "city car" that's not worth parting out due to dings on every corner so I've left it there. Supposedly the lady filled it with gas when it wouldn't run she parked it. Not really as big a deal for a diesel as it would be the other way. $800

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/20/20 7:21 p.m.

Put a decent exhaust (new cat, bigger tubes) on the 4.0 and see how it does.  If that isn't the answer, THEN do the 302, and reuse most of your new exhaust.  Keep the cam duration under 210 @.050 for all the torques.  I think you can get plug-n-play Megasquirt for those. 

A 351W should fit  most places the 302 fits, and should use most of the same swap parts, but you'll need a better trans. How 'bout a top loader 4 speed with a 3 speed Brownie? Shifting and shifting and shifting...

A friend of mine bought a new '94 Ranger and put a paxton on it.  The auto trans didn't like that, but it helped out the lack of power issue a lot. 

But you want to do it the hard way, right?  Pentstar V6 with the previuosly mentioned NSG 370. 

7/20/20 7:34 p.m.

NSG370 did trip my radar for those sweet ratios.  Manufacturer says 272 input torques.  That doesn't seem like much, especially since 300-350 is really easy in the engines I'm considering.  That's the trans they put in the Liberty and Cherokee, right?  If so, it should come in Mopar, Mercedes, and Jeep flavors on the bellhousing end?  Three engine patterns from manufacturers I hadn't considered.

Now, if that Mercedes flavor was the same bellhousing as the OM606, I'd be salivating.  But I don't think it is.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/20/20 7:36 p.m.

400M

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/20 7:46 p.m.

Finish the lemans and tow the boat with that

7/20/20 8:02 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Definitely the end game here.  I can imagine pulling into the campground in a drop-top, 550-hp, lumpy-cammed classic with a speed boat with a rainbow pride sticker and a GRM sticker, then pitching a hand-me-down tent and an ez-up with holes in it, and cracking a Genny cream ale in a wife beater.  THAT'S how I roll.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/20/20 8:13 p.m.

There's an adapter plate for OM60x to Ford manuals. Even a 603 would be fun in there.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/20/20 8:16 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Definitely the end game here. 

Buy a replacement frame from Year One or somebody before you even think of trying that. Seriously. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/20 8:18 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Definitely the end game here.  I can imagine pulling into the campground in a drop-top, 550-hp, lumpy-cammed classic with a speed boat with a rainbow pride sticker and a GRM sticker, then pitching a hand-me-down tent and an ez-up with holes in it, and cracking a Genny cream ale in a wife beater.  THAT'S how I roll.

Can we get video?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/20/20 8:48 p.m.

I don't have a new suggestion, but I know those engines are weak. I towed a utility trailer with one and was aghast. A buddy did, too, and he got out at a stop and said "you know what doesn't work on this truck? The accelerator pedal. "

So I endorse a swap. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/20 8:54 p.m.

3.7 hurricane out of a rental car spec 2011+ v6 mustang?

John Brown (Forum Supporter)
John Brown (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/20 9:04 p.m.

If it matters at all I would choose the LS if you are running an automatic and a 5.0 if you are running a stick. 

The T5 will hold up to a 5.0 in the truck very well. I punished mine with 11.70 runs for three years on a 4.10 gear driving like an idiot AS LONG AS THE GOOD QUALITY AFTERMARKET SHIFTER HAS BEEN ADJUSTED PROPERLY. 

The LS can just have a properly built 4L60/80e.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/20 9:17 p.m.

My first thought, and I haven’t read the whole thread, is why not experiment with a remotely mounted turbo.  They aren’t optimal but they’ve been shown to work.  Extremely well even in some cases.  Lag shouldn’t be an issue since you aren’t racing and have the whole hill to spool it up.  Use plenty of wrap to keep the exhaust temps up on their long journey to the turbine.  I think it’d be a fun experiment.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/20 9:21 p.m.
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) said:

Put a decent exhaust (new cat, bigger tubes) on the 4.0 and see how it does.  If that isn't the answer, THEN do the 302, and reuse most of your new exhaust.  Keep the cam duration under 210 @.050 for all the torques.  I think you can get plug-n-play Megasquirt for those. 

A 351W should fit  most places the 302 fits, and should use most of the same swap parts, but you'll need a better trans. How 'bout a top loader 4 speed with a 3 speed Brownie? Shifting and shifting and shifting...

A friend of mine bought a new '94 Ranger and put a paxton on it.  The auto trans didn't like that, but it helped out the lack of power issue a lot. 

But you want to do it the hard way, right?  Pentstar V6 with the previuosly mentioned NSG 370. 

Yeah and the 351 W block can go all the way up to like 7.4 liters or something stupid crazy for a “small” block.  Crank is $ though for those.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/20 9:35 p.m.

What about a regear? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't all the 4L Brangers get the 8.8 rear axle? A regear on a Ford 8.8 is pretty cheap.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Cq7mzZlAlT36fUuR9UlaVo09ex9mZ6VBrdjSpKDu2wYdVG1kW0CoTeRgDKAj3Jd