integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
8/23/12 4:46 p.m.

You can't buy one in the U.S., anymore....just the "clones", but today marks the birthday of Opel Motors....aged 115. I had no idea they were in the same age range as M-B, and Peugeot.

I once wanted a Sportwagon in the worst way, but wound up with a Vega Panel Express, instead. At least I got the same 4 speed transmission used in the Sportwagon.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
8/23/12 5:29 p.m.

Are they going to make it to 116 ?

They presently are quite ill.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
8/23/12 5:47 p.m.

Friend of mine in high school was gifted a Manta by his g'parents when he got his license. He was grateful, but not enthusiastic.

Enter the teen-aged FGC and a curvy backroad.

Okay, that might be embellishing things, but I had been driving before I was legal age, and had learned a couple of things. You think the South is crazy now? Y'all should have been here in the 1970s.

Regards to Opel! Y'know..I'd still take a Manta today. Somebody told me a set of pop-up pistons from a SBC will go right into an Opel 1900. Sure would take care of that compression problem.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
8/23/12 8:16 p.m.

"Are they going to make it to 116?"

If you didn't see the story on the news tonight (or maybe you did?), today's celebrations at Opel were kind of muted since Opel is one of the few German companies NOT doing too well (Ford of Europe is not doing well, either). As a consequence, Opel factory workers will see less work days between now and the end of the year...currently the number is 20 less days, and apparently they don't get paid for sitting at home like their American counterparts do(?).

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
8/23/12 9:52 p.m.

Happy Birthday Opel.

I'd still like one of these:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yeViE6wVJMrEjTeYpgtHCsb0xIGAZfpR2Xk0ADH9W7UDECG6rDEGuDw8WVWtyeiJ