1 2
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/21 12:19 p.m.

I need to go to Harbor Freight for some sandblasting supplies, so I grabbed the most recent issues of my favorite magazines in search of a 20% off coupon, but it seems as if they are just running full page ads like a normal store now. I get their fliers in the mail too, but haven't gotten one recently.

Harbor Freight coupons had become such a way of life that it feels wrong to walk in there without one. Have they changed their business model?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/13/21 12:22 p.m.

They want you to use your new HF credit card and spend $300 or more per trip.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
3/13/21 12:38 p.m.

I get ~5 emails a week from them, maybe half of them are coupons. They just ran a 10% off, no exclusions sale like two weeks ago.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/13/21 1:20 p.m.
02Pilot said:

I get ~5 emails a week from them, maybe half of them are coupons. They just ran a 10% off, no exclusions sale like two weeks ago.

I got that one. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/13/21 1:38 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Just this week I used that promotion (and Stampie's example) to buy an ATV winch. We never would have been able to get the Morris home without it. 

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
3/13/21 2:25 p.m.

Yeah, emails are where the coupons are now.  I asked someone in the store and they confirmed they're not doing the ValuPak / Money Mailer / etc coupons any more.  

Still plenty of discounts though.  

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
3/13/21 2:38 p.m.

Best to shop around,  I have found that HF is not as competitive as they use to be.

YMMV

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
3/13/21 2:58 p.m.

Based on what I've read on GJ the 20% off anything type coupons are gone.

There are 20s for specific items https://go.harborfreight.com/20-percent-off-coupons/ 

and whatever the emails give. 

There is also this place https://www.hfqpdb.com/ 

I believe with Sears gone they may be trying to step up that void.

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/13/21 4:21 p.m.

Get the HF coupons app on android, easy to add to your "cart" of coupons and the checkout people can scan right from your phone. Actually, its the HF employees who suggested it to me, though it's not their official app.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/13/21 5:14 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
02Pilot said:

Just this week I used that promotion (and Stampie's example) to buy an ATV winch. We never would have been able to get the Morris home without it. 

So there's a build thread somewhere for this right?

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/21 5:19 p.m.
engiekev said:

Get the HF coupons app on android, easy to add to your "cart" of coupons and the checkout people can scan right from your phone. Actually, its the HF employees who suggested it to me, though it's not their official app.

This is what I use too. It works great. There might be an Apple version? 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
3/13/21 6:18 p.m.

interesting app , I hope he updates it every couple weeks

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
3/13/21 6:39 p.m.

The apps are great for finding coupons and deals!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/13/21 6:48 p.m.
Donebrokeit said:

Best to shop around,  I have found that HF is not as competitive as they use to be.

YMMV

I noticed a while ago, that hf ads that used to say xx% off of hf normal price, now mean xx% off the price of a better item that they don’t even sell. Guess someone doesn’t consider that false advertising!

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/14/21 8:35 a.m.

Obligatory hazard fraught meme. I think this was funnier years ago when their stuff was all junk, now it's hard to fault many of their lines.

Hazard Fraught Tools flyer - Album on Imgur

Hazard Fraught Tools flyer - Funny post | Harbor freight tools, Funny, Ads

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
3/16/21 11:58 a.m.
Holy crap.  This is the funniest thing I have seen in ages.  Huge thanks to whoever took the time to make this.
engiekev said:

Obligatory hazard fraught meme. I think this was funnier years ago when their stuff was all junk, now it's hard to fault many of their lines.

Hazard Fraught Tools flyer - Album on Imgur

Hazard Fraught Tools flyer - Funny post | Harbor freight tools, Funny, Ads

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/16/21 12:20 p.m.
engiekev said:

What I use also. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/16/21 12:33 p.m.

I use the coupon search, but have noticed a creep in cost, HF coupon site shows past coupons.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/16/21 12:57 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Here I am using a come-a-long with the rented trailers like a peasant. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/16/21 1:56 p.m.

They used to always have a 20% off coupon that would pop up if you searched.  That went away a few months ago.  Only in the last few weeks have they been emailing actual discount coupons. Other than the afformentioned 10% off coupon, it's usually just an ad for the items they're promoting that week.  They've also sent a few "20% off any item under $10" coupons...which isn't very meaningful. 

.I used to always keep a GRM copy in the trunk just in case I needed something from HF.  I'll have to give the HF Coupon app a try.

SHutson
SHutson New Reader
3/16/21 3:11 p.m.

Worse is that they don't support the older tools.  I have the ubiquitous dark red "Chicago Electric" 1/2" cordless impact and they don't sell a battery for it anymore.  No part interchange that I can find either.  

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/16/21 3:24 p.m.

Somehow years ago I signed up for their text updates and I get a link to a new coupon via text every friday.  Last week was a  10% off "no exclusions" that even worked for US general toolboxes and Predator motors

car39
car39 Dork
3/16/21 5:22 p.m.

They are also pushing the $29.95 membership in their "club".  You get better discounts, supposedly automatically when you join.  I bought it because I needed an electric screwdriver, and it was $5 if you bought the club membership and bought $50 worth of something else.  We have 24 of their solar rope lights in our HOA, so I'm always buying those.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
3/16/21 5:51 p.m.

When I worked at a HF in 2018 my manager said they were being told that the free item and 20% coupons were going away or being very limited and only email in the future.  They were also talking about the card back then as well, that seems to be the new push using email/online/in-store and also FB ads.  The big selling point I used for the club membership was using items that offered a discount greater than or equal to the membership price to make the sale.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/16/21 6:22 p.m.
SHutson said:

Worse is that they don't support the older tools.  I have the ubiquitous dark red "Chicago Electric" 1/2" cordless impact and they don't sell a battery for it anymore.  No part interchange that I can find either.  

Probably because that Chinese factory blew up in a hellacious industrial accident or some other such thing.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oglocUJGzNeW9opPgqNgGFoJnLVLpwhmpZAJF7RNH1YeiU0znAsUfskjKpOdOM28