1 2
stroker
stroker SuperDork
12/16/14 5:35 p.m.

Just wondering...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/14 5:54 p.m.

I have no idea if they have or not, but I don't think that should stop you.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/16/14 6:06 p.m.

Yes, someone has.

or so I would imagine.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/14 6:08 p.m.

Somehow I think the weight of the Jag engine would make the poor GT6 nigh undriveable. They are BIG, HEAVY engines...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/14 6:10 p.m.

not sure on Jag Engines..I have seen pictures of BMW engines in there

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
12/16/14 6:10 p.m.

You know that depending on the era motor weighs 650-800lbs right?

Instead of being negative I will try and be helpful as I am in a unique environment and happen to have a Jag 4.2 and a Triumph 2.5 right here. Let me grab a tape measure

Jag block is 28" from trans flange to front face. This is without water pump or anything on the front.

Triumph 6 is 23.5". Same measurements.

Cylinder head on the Jag is 11" wide

Triumph is 6" wide

Jag motor is 27 and something inches from the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the valve covers

Triumph is 23 as far as I can tell

Total length of the Jag with pulleys and such is 34

Total length of the Triumph 6 with pulleys and such is 27

The measurements were taken with the motors in cars (67 Triumph 2000 and a 63 4.2 E Type) so add in a +/- margin of error.

The blocks were just sitting on the floor.

Those Jag motors are freaking huge. I know the Triumph 6 is no lightweight but I can load a bare block into the bed of a pickup by myself (did this yesterday) We use a hoist to do the same with the Jag block since it is too much for two people.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/14 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Ditchdigger:

I love this forum.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/16/14 6:37 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Somehow I think the weight of the Jag engine would make the poor GT6 nigh undriveable. They are BIG, HEAVY engines...

And the GT6 in stock form is already massively nose-heavy. I've had to do a lot of work to make mine at least reasonably balanced enough so it doesn't want to go backwards on every wet corner, lol.

I would rather swap an S2000 engine into one or another lightweight modern 4cyl. The thought of double the stock power and a lot less weight up front makes me happy.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/14 7:46 p.m.

It might fit if you did something like this....

http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/GeraldKannenberg.htm

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/16/14 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Ditchdigger:

So, what you're saying then, is that with a slight bit of sledge hammer work to the GT6, it will fit, right?

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
12/16/14 8:27 p.m.

I saw a Rover V8 swap into a GT6 that worked well. It's a V8 that weighs about 350 lbs, probably lighter than the original 6 banger. I'd think the Jag swap would put too much front weight on a car that was already a bit front heavy.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
12/16/14 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

I'd rather take the hammer to the Jag motor but to each his own

I don't have a GT6 around, but in the 2000 and TR250 we have here there is barely enough room to slide the radiator past the fan and pulleys. I doubt there is a surplus of room in the smaller car that was designed around a four cylinder.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
12/16/14 8:32 p.m.

If you can put one in a sprite, why not a GT6?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYdJ-G3Blp8

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/16/14 8:55 p.m.
Ditchdigger wrote: In reply to Dr. Hess: I'd rather take the hammer to the Jag motor but to each his own I don't have a GT6 around, but in the 2000 and TR250 we have here there is barely enough room to slide the radiator past the fan and pulleys. I doubt there is a surplus of room in the smaller car that was designed around a four cylinder.

GT6 has a good bit of room under the bonnet actually. Plus with the full clamshell bonnet you have a lot of room to work with and no bodywork in the way. Here's an overhead of mine:

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
12/17/14 6:24 a.m.

Unless you just want to prove you can do it, why would you want to. There's a reason so many jag engines were chucked in favor of chevy small blocks. If one with a modern 4 cylinder turbocharged engine with an independent BMW rear end ever crosses my path, I'd consider adding it to the fleet of TR8s.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
12/17/14 7:13 a.m.

Something about an inline six is just so much sexier than a four though, turbo or otherwise...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/17/14 8:08 a.m.

I tried to post this yesterday from my phones, but no dice.

A guy has put a Jaguar engine into a Spitfire. He called it the Spitcat. I don't know if he ever finished it, but it showed up in the Spitfire/GT-6 magazine from time to time. He split it down the middle and added several inches. He also put a custom frame IIRC. So he didn't just put a jag engine into a Spit.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/14 8:18 a.m.

I would look at a BMW motor over a Jag motor. I know not that beautiful but much better motor package if you have to stay inline six. Land Rover V8 would be my absolute first choice.

Reminds me of when I was helping my buddy clean out his dad's auto collection and shop and we found a jag 6 under a stack of tires. We tried to move it by hand and that thing was so heavy. So I went home that day and looked up the weight and just was amazed how heavy they actually were.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/17/14 8:42 a.m.

Transvers mount the jag motor midships. . No clue how to make anything else work but why not.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
12/17/14 9:07 a.m.

Get one of those silly VW narrow angle V6 engines. They really are more of a staggered straight six than a V and might even fit in the front to rear space available. Side-side in a Spitfire should not be an issue. Gearbox solutions are available.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/17/14 9:11 a.m.

So what's the big deal? People do outrageous engine swaps everyday with little or no forethought.

I saw a Model A Ford driving around the parking area of The Mitty a few years ago powered by a Lambo. V-12. I can't say that V-12 fit in the car, more like it was hung out on the front of the car. But that contraption was under its' own V-12 power when I saw it.

I never saw the rear wheels of that Model A come off the ground. However under heavy braking, they might. I suspect it was a tad bit front end heavy. But then again, someone did build a bridge to hold the motor up.

Does modification to that extreme make sense? Check out the modification thread on the Classic Motorsports forum.

Who am I to say one way or the other what others choose to do with their property. It probably makes no more nor less sense than putting a Jag. motor into/onto a GT-6.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/17/14 9:42 a.m.

didnt someone put a jag v12 in a MG A/B/GT or something like that?

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/17/14 10:01 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: If you can put one in a sprite, why not a GT6?

That's beautiful!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/14 12:06 p.m.

Putting a Jag six into a GT6 is just right. I would expect there's at least one running around England somewhere. I like the idea of the swap because it's something that would have been done when the GT6 was new. And there really is something about a straight six. It's not a restorod, it would be more period-appropriate and cool because of it.

Says the guy with the LS1 in the MGB

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
12/17/14 2:48 p.m.

I know someone that put a 240Z motor in a GT6. Personally, I'd go for something modern like a BMW 6, or even a Supra, IS300 6.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pghbNfgmtWQYPDpFjWy4hknf0Txatz0Yyz12WhGU1WQ9BrieJ0ZCp2ODplwEJ4IZ