1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/21 1:24 p.m.

I know I'm sour on turbo BMWs, but I can't get over how much I love how the Supra looks lowered over some nice wheels. Not sure I want to spend that kind of money, but damn it's sexy. Exhibit 1. Titan TS-5s

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/21 1:25 p.m.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/2/21 1:31 p.m.

I was not impressed with the new supra from pictures, but my thoughts have changed since seeing a couple in person. They're pretty neat looking and have good presence on the road. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
7/2/21 1:39 p.m.

Toyota badge with BMW maintenance/parts costs? Not my cup of tea regardless of looks.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
7/2/21 1:40 p.m.

They are great to drive.  I drove someone else's car around VIR and it was excellent. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/21 1:40 p.m.

Zupra?????

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/2/21 1:50 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

BMW Z4 + Supra

STM317
STM317 UberDork
7/2/21 1:51 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Zupra?????

It's a BMW Z4 in Supra drag, so Z4+Supra=Zupra

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/2/21 2:21 p.m.

One showed up at the local ax. Made a good showing. Fast car. Hilarious low end torque out of a hairpin

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
7/2/21 2:29 p.m.

I want to know what's done to that Solstice so I can copy it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/21 2:37 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Toyota badge with BMW maintenance/parts costs? Not my cup of tea regardless of looks.

I'm well aware after my 135i experience of wiping a bearing at 31k miles after the OFHG change (hence my trepidation). But apparently that is a not uncommon failure on the N55. The B58 is supposed to be a much more solid engine. 

I still don't know if I'll be willing to drop $50k on one, add in suspension, wheels, tires, and 3M clear wrap for the whole car to protect the paint would likely add about $10k on top. 

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/2/21 2:40 p.m.
fatallightning said:

I want to know what's done to that Solstice so I can copy it.

A Corvette drivetrain does a whole lot. It's also a very well developed car, and Sean Is a very seasoned driver

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/2/21 2:45 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

They are $50k? For some reason I thought they were 70-80k. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/21 2:51 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Yeah, if you want to buy in Miami/LA/San Deigo and pay ADM, sure. You can find 3.0 Premium's with the driver assistance package, MSRP $58k, for less than that all over the country. 

I've never understood why people will pay 5+ figures over MSRP instead of plane ticket and drive it home. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/21 2:52 p.m.
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/21 2:53 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to z31maniac :

And close to $40k if you can settle for the 4 cyl, no thanks.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
7/2/21 2:55 p.m.

My buddy has one for track. Took it to autocross a few times recently and was getting FTD or close to it each time with a couple local clubs. He's not really autocross experienced either. Don't think he has run with some of the real hot shoes yet, but I bet it's competitive. Hallett I think he ran a 1:25 last time out going CCW with A052s? Pretty sure he's got a tune from Zach at CSG. Can't recall his times at Heartland but we should be back there next weekend with APR wing and Verus splitter.

I have driven it a couple times on some fun runs at autocross and limited miles on the street. It's tight in the cabin. Inside I feel like I'm in a coffin, and that's coming from an FRS which is surprisingly roomy for a smaller car possibly ruining my perspective. I'm a tall 5' 11" and 175 pounds. The FRS feels huge compared to it inside but small dimensionally on the outside. I know they are fairly close in scale but it's kinda polarizing between the two. The transmission shifts beautifully but I miss the third pedal. As cool as the car is, I wouldn't buy one personally. Looks grew on me once he put wheels on it.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/21 3:30 p.m.

Will be taking a look at a 2021 tomorrow. 

Primarily looking to see if I fit with a helmet on, as this one is matte gray, and I don't need to kind of trouble that maintaining that exterior would entail. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/21 4:00 p.m.
Karacticus said:

Will be taking a look at a 2021 tomorrow. 

Primarily looking to see if I fit with a helmet on, as this one is matte gray, and I don't need to kind of trouble that maintaining that exterior would entail. 

Clear wrap. All the places around here do paint correction, clear wrap, then ceramic coat the wrap. 

I had my 135i just ceramic coated. It was amazing. You could drive it for days in the rain, it would get all gunky. Go to the car wash and spray it right off, no need to even use a brush or wash mitt. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/21 4:04 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I've had the i8 Graphene coated and it's pretty amazing stuff. 

Apparently the matte finishes are a whole 'nother kettle of fish requiring/recommending special products for coatings and paint protection. Story is that it's also impossible to respray a single panel and get it to match. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/21 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

That's not promising, color wise.

I want a white one, if I go that route. Although I suspect I won't actually buy anything until next year.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/2/21 5:09 p.m.

The figures on the B58 are damn impressive. I like the torque plateau. Couldn't imagine paying that much for a car with only two pedals though...

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
7/2/21 5:23 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

I was not impressed with the new supra from pictures, but my thoughts have changed since seeing a couple in person. They're pretty neat looking and have good presence on the road. 

Same - saw a number in person recently that had me drooling

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/2/21 5:32 p.m.

For me, it all depends on the angle. From some, it's great, but from others, it just looks forced and overwrought. Too many "vents" that are purely styling elements, too many little detail bits. Too much Fast & Furious, not enough Coco Chanel ("It is always better to be slightly underdressed.").

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/2/21 7:34 p.m.

I will say, the fact that they have a true hatchback is a huuuuge bonus in my book. I wish the 86/BRZ had a hatch.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DYfIKDGdFsw52wwMgW9dBhyl8rh6dEFCj2pzJwnUoQv5oTfsUiXE9m2IfTRDLO8G