1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/21 7:49 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

I agree, the front isn't my "favorite" but the side, 3/4 rear and rear just does it for me.

I know the styling isn't for everyone, but I really like it.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/21 7:55 p.m.

Saw one recently from the back and it's dead sexy. Walked around to figure out what is was. Really good looking but above my cheapskate budget. And 6'-5"... so another fun car I can't fit inside. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/2/21 7:56 p.m.

I will admit, as much as I love the zupra, at $50k+ I might want a V8 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/21 8:13 p.m.

Looks are very subjective, but I'm finding it a nice mix of my former and current vehicles. 

It would be nice if the color selection was better. I really like the blue (only) on this year's special  edition, along with the black wheels. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/21 8:15 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In person it was fine, but I'm of the overwrought crowd. It looks to me like someone draped melting slices of cheese over the front and the rear wheel arches, for one thing, but that's just the way of things these days. Different angles say different things though. Sometimes Z4 is better, sometimes Supra. 

Snrub
Snrub Dork
7/2/21 8:32 p.m.

There's something a little funny about the way the hood area looks, but other than that I think it looks great. I remember seeing the FT1 concept at an autoshow a long time ago and I thought it looked amazing.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/21 9:17 p.m.

I think they're great looking cars.  If I were in the market for a sporty coupe they'd be at the top of my list.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/21 6:12 a.m.

I've watched one get FTD repeatedly at local events. Disclaimer is that it's owned by a multi time national champion, so you'd expect it to do well.

Still, I watched it closely when negotiating a tight element and was wondering, "how was that possible?" I think I read that it has some sort of wizardry in the diff. I've never seen anything rotate like that. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/21 8:13 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

In reply to dean1484 :

BMW Z4 + Supra

Ahhh ok never seen that. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/21 9:52 a.m.

I'd buy one. I'm surprised no one on GRM owns one yet. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/3/21 10:00 a.m.

A styling step too far for me, anyway.

I recall the fuss about the Bangle era version of the Z4 with people saying it looked like various things (few of them complimentary), but what BMW is doing today boggles my tender aesthetic senses whether in BMW or Toyota form.  Plus any sports car I would ever buy would have to have a manual gearbox.

If one needed further evidence that the BMW stylists had 'dropped their nut' it would be the new big grilles - I wish someone had inoculated them for the dreaded Lexus virus before that was allowed to happen.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/3/21 10:38 a.m.
yupididit said:

That's why I asked. I know we have some GRMers (sic) with the means.

Im gonna start saving my potatoes anyway! I'll be 40 next year and I want to buy a car I'll actually keep for a bit.

I also think it would make a bonkers road trip car for me and the missus.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/21 11:10 a.m.

I think if I was willing to drop that kind of coin and could manage a project I'd look for a twin with a bad engine & add a V8. I think bolt in kit(s) are available and it could be done nicely for $50k. Better looks, sounds like more interior room, and certainly better performance with factory spec major components. What's not to like, other than no ability to get a loan, and a major project? laugh

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/3/21 11:25 a.m.

I was undecided at first if I liked them (the looks) or not, then I saw a red one with black wheels in the wild. OMG.....gorgeous. I am on board now. Some one please buy one on this forum so I can live vicariously through you. Not pointing fingers or anything but......I am looking in your general direction z31maniac.

Karacticus
7/3/21 11:43 a.m.

Took a look at this one today-- dirty from transport, not even through dealer prep.

Fit with helmet on, though like the Z4 was, you know the seat is in the right place because there's pretty much just one place to sit where you fit.  Be nice if the head rest could be moved back a bit, but that's not an uncommon issue with a helmet.  There are reasons, after all, why you don't wear them all the time.

It is pretty snug inside, but that's really no change from my Z4.  

The matte gray paint looks pretty cool and does an amazing job hiding how dirty the car was in the photos. But it's definitely not for me-- I like shiny and smooth to the touch.  I just can't see maintaining this finish on a driver-- I'd be wanting to keep it covered even in the garage just to keep the fly poop off of it.  Most definitely can't see paying extra for that paint .

I also like their black special edition wheels better than the ones fitted on this car.  Wheels are easy to change out though.

One other challenge maintaining the exterior is that there sure are a lot of black fake vents to detail.  The work would pay off better if they were functional. 

Still, I'm interested enough to have told them to stay in touch me and we'll see what we can do when they can order 2022s.  I'm investigating what kind of price I can get for the i8 from Vroom, Carvana, Carmax, etc.  The offer I had from Vroom wasn't quite what I paid for it, but close enough considering I've driven it for two years and 15,000 miles. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/3/21 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Thanks for the review. Did you take it out for a drive?

Karacticus
7/3/21 12:06 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to Karacticus :

Thanks for the review. Did you take it out for a drive?

Nope.  Just off the truck and not yet drivable, so not really that much of a review.

I wonder if the staff of our favorite magazine could get a hold of a press vehicle and take it to an event?

It would be for the greater goodsmiley

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/21 12:11 p.m.
Karacticus said:

It would be nice if the color selection was better. I really like the blue (only) on this year's special  edition, along with the black wheels. 

Wow! That blue is gorgeous. Reminds me of BMW colors, somewhere between Estoril blue and Lemans blue.

CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/3/21 12:24 p.m.

It's an interesting car no doubt. I'm not sure I'd get SWMBO to agree to adding one to the fleet, seeing as I already have an M2 as my 2-door go-fast buggy (which I intend to keep until they bury me in it).

I'd definitely not opt for that matte paint. Looks great, as long as it's someone else's car.

Karacticus
7/3/21 12:28 p.m.

In reply to CLH :

Yeah, the other car I'm considering is an M2 if I'm to be getting back to HPDEs. Just would miss the visual excitement the i8 has, and the Supra has some of that. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/3/21 1:29 p.m.
yupididit said:

We're all a bunch of cheap motherberkeleyers

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/3/21 2:08 p.m.

I've looked, three times. I love it and it ticks all the boxes except I just can't pull the trigger. I'm to cheap

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/3/21 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

doesn't help we can fix our junk and keep it running. Oh... is this one of those "ignorance is bliss" things? If you don't know how to repair cars.... you have to buy a new one!

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/3/21 4:23 p.m.

I've driven three of them for a week at a time as press loans, a 2020 3.0, 2021 3.0 and 2021 2.0.

They are fantastic, I'd buy the 3.0 because it's a BMW six that sounds great and goes like stink BUT the turbo four is not bad either. They dropped over 200 lbs out of the car when they threw the four in it and it does feel lighter on the nose and a bit more eager to change directions, where the 3.0 is a hair more of a GT car. But both are great fun and the ZF8 automatic suits the car's character well.

https://www.outmotorsports.com/2021/03/2021-toyota-supra-3-0-review-getting-the-full-b58-experience/

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/21 6:24 p.m.
Countingcrowbars said:

In reply to Mndsm :

doesn't help we can fix our junk and keep it running. Oh... is this one of those "ignorance is bliss" things? If you don't know how to repair cars.... you have to buy a new one!

I'm growing tired of fixing my own lol. Time isn't there like it used to. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LOXXXoNOl22QyF9yBTSiNjGKxY3vzRyqVLUe9POLeGjl3ezqzZ9Zozv5G6bu1Igw