1 2 3
steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
3/1/11 1:07 p.m.

I have been looking and searching and yes i am going to start, another what kind of car thread. I have looked at C4s, E30s and 911s. Any others i should consider. I am staying away from mustangs and anything Japanese right now.

the car has to get at least 20 mpg(selling point to wife), and be reliable(50 mile commute)

i have always wanted a 928, but every mechanic i have ever talked to says to stay far far away from them, those cars are "Risky Business"

EricM
EricM Dork
3/1/11 1:13 p.m.

lol

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/1/11 1:14 p.m.

Caddy CTS-V? Camaro? GTO?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/11 1:21 p.m.

You don't want a Mustang but use "GT" in your title?

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/1/11 1:28 p.m.

This sounds like what you are looking for.

Pontiac Aztek's ROCK!

dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/1/11 1:33 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: You don't want a Mustang but use "GT" in your title?

There are many GT cars other than Mustangs! They just get all the press.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/11 1:39 p.m.

I'd offer my suggestions, but apparently my defination of reliable is different than that of every other sentient being on the planet.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/1/11 1:40 p.m.

Is there a budget cap?

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
3/1/11 1:41 p.m.

price is up to $10k no higher. GT meaning a Grand Touring car would probably be ideal.

OMG i love the CTS-V, under sleeper car in the Wikipedia there should be pic of a CTS-V. Scared the crap out of every family member i put in that car.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/1/11 1:42 p.m.

Good luck with a 911 for $10k. Alfa Milano?

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
3/1/11 1:47 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

i actually found one, looks kind of like your pic in your sig line except with a decent drive line and a whale tale

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/1/11 1:50 p.m.

Yeah, a really nice, ready-to-go 911 is tough for $10k. What about a 944? Or how about an E36 of some sort?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/1/11 1:53 p.m.
steelynorm wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: i actually found one, looks kind of like your pic in your sig line except with a decent drive line and a whale tale

??? The car on my profile is a MG Midget.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
3/1/11 1:56 p.m.

A 928 was in my friend's shop, seems the young man that drove it in for service worked in cahoots with his mother fleecing old ladies in nursing homes. Grifters. Local Sheriff gave his home and cell numbers, lemme know if he comes around. FBI showed up, lemme know when he comes around.

Long story short, my friend ended up with a red 928 for almost free, ala Mechanic's Lien.

Even free, it was a PITA. Your wife would never let you hear the end of it.

You didn't mention a budget, but here's where I would go, but bear in mind that fun cars are a pain for distance driving:

BMW 2002: Big aftermarket, huge fun factor, economic when you keep your foot out of it and can easily be resold.

Chrome bumper Vette: Pre-1972. Easy on the eyes, pre-smog nonsense, parts availability, can do 50 mile commutes.

Slant Six: You'd be surprised by the aftermarket stuff available for a Mopar slant six; cams, heads, multiple carbs, headers, the works. I don't know what you like, but a well turned out 1962 Valiant with a slant six is a real sleeper and cheap to run.

1963 Chevy II; Same as above, but a Chevy.

So what do you like?

Dan

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
3/1/11 2:03 p.m.

Mercedes 500slc. You can pick and choose for 10k and they are a truly rare and cool car only around 2500 were made. 240hp, all alloy engine. aluminum hood, door skins, boot lid. Later models have a 4 speed auto. Find one with an LSD or swap an LSD in from a 500sec. For what you get a 500slc looks to be a great bargain.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/11 2:03 p.m.

A VERY well taken care of 928 will be an excellent car forever. As long as you find one with up to date service history and no evidence of deferred maintenance, you will love it!

It is the best GT car ever created.

Second best (IMHO) C4 Corvette.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/11 2:15 p.m.

E39 M5. Whoooo yeah.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
3/1/11 2:35 p.m.

I think any clean E39 would be great. Preferrably a straight 6 for reliability and gas mileage.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/11 3:02 p.m.
dculberson wrote:

Did you see the winking emoticon? Did you?

dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/1/11 3:19 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
dculberson wrote:
Did you see the winking emoticon? Did you?

It didn't happen! You're making it up!

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
3/1/11 3:19 p.m.

Might be a bit tight to squeeze under the 10k cap, but if you look hard enough....

'04 GTO. No doubt. I had a heavily modified one. Even with all the mods, it was still a very comfy GT type car. If I was real easy on the gas, I could get 23-24 in suburban driving. Pure highway was closer to 30mpg. If you dip your foot into it hard, well, low-mid teens. But it was a great cruiser, reliable, easy to upgrade.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
3/1/11 3:38 p.m.

E24 6-series, if you're looking to go old-school. I have seen some BMW 8-series for under $10K, but they are mostly V-8s (which only came with autotragics, not sure if you still want to row your own with the new beast) and seem to have annoying electrical problems.

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
3/1/11 4:59 p.m.

would love a GTO, but like you said pretty hard to come buy south of 10k. 2002 is smaller than what i was looking for. e39 seems like am trying to play catch up with the Joneses love the 6 series but thought i read electrical could be problematic and MPG is mid teens? Have never even though of Mopar....interesting. Not a big fan of Sharks.

Will
Will HalfDork
3/1/11 5:13 p.m.

968?

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
3/1/11 5:21 p.m.

Volvo 242GT

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CaufmXSHpEIvy8KCIbuiScp8BEuqF0LNB7cXOf0lgvDquZZv1XmXm0LOfePJdKM5