grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/24 10:41 p.m.

My new to me Cayenne has amazing 20" RS Spyder wheels in platinum satin- I love them.  They do however have some gnarly curb rash on two of the 4.  

I've never had alloy wheels repaired because: 1. I've never had a car with painted wheels. 2. I've never had rims curbed this badly.  
They don't appear to be cracked or warped, but the dark color really shows the bright wheel rash.  

So what's the SOP for this? Just check out the reviews of alloy repair people? 

I'm near west palm beach florida if anyone has a preferred provider.  

Thanks! 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/10/24 10:48 p.m.

I got some factory black BBS wheels for the ND that had some curb rash.  I took them to the local wheel repair place thinking they could just touch them up; they wanted to refinish the whole wheels, and it would have cost more than I paid for the whole wheels.  I ordered a black paint marker off of Amazon for $6 and touched them up... you can't even see the curb rash unless you know to look for it.

I think the math probably works differently for Porsche wheels though.

grover
2/10/24 10:51 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

From what I saw on eBay motors- they're $850 a wheel....I'd pay a few hundred to get these done- but I'd be concerned about paint match. I should probably just call a few places. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Dork
2/10/24 10:58 p.m.

If they look like this.

Like ShinnyGroove said. Touch them up. Look up the paint code for your rims.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKWHEELPAINT.html?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyfHUsrKihAMV6zfUAR1NXQUjEAQYAiABEgJ7BfD_BwE

grover
2/10/24 11:03 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

That's basically exactly what they look like. Love the link but my wheels are not silver. 

should I sand them flat first? 

photo of car to show wheels. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/11/24 9:14 a.m.

Gnarly gouges? Clean the scrapes and apply glazing compound or mix up a small batch of Bondo for really deep ones. Then sand it back. Scuff the whole wheel with a Scotchbrite pad (not sure what color. The less aggressive one.) Blow off the dust. Wipe it down with alcohol. Prime and paint the wheel.

Laserface
Laserface New Reader
2/11/24 9:53 a.m.

If you're sanding, and only refinish the sanded area, there's almost a 100% chance that the spot refinish will be visible.

Option one is to do a brush touch up, not worrying about sanding or leveling the rash. This will make a 5 or 10 footer and still be visible if you get close enough. It will at least make the whole wheel the same color, the rash won't an obviously contrasting color.

Option two is the "proper" way. Sand everything level, apply filler to low spots if necessary, then refinish the whole wheel. This how the professionals do it.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
2/11/24 2:06 p.m.

Many Youtube vids online pertaining to this topic. I have used this one in the past. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQiqYlpxoY

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Dork
2/11/24 8:33 p.m.
grover said:

In reply to MyMiatas :

That's basically exactly what they look like. Love the link but my wheels are not silver. 

should I sand them flat first? 

photo of car to show wheels. 

I thought that link would give other choices of colors to choose from.  If you rims look like the one in the picture just touch them up with a brush. Those little edge scrapes should hide fine from standing height.

grover
2/11/24 11:17 p.m.

Sounds like painting the rash is the way to go for now. 
thanks y'all. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SCzhkDdJGfwAgDOxTwLbCmnVfnlfRIlQL2fXhzMaCVOIoBevL6A5FJPhDbOfOgwt