1 2 3
Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/10/18 7:59 p.m.

Guy at work just got one in that color, saw it today it looks really nice

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
5/10/18 8:54 p.m.

That does look nice.  I have a 944 in "Maraschino Red" which is a maroon, but seems like more towards the purple side.  In fairness, the paint is so bad that there's only like one panel left with proper clearcoat, so it's hard for me to get a real sense of what it was supposed to look like. 

The one thing I don't like is the interior is also maroon.  Everything.  Seats, carpet, steering wheel, dash, doors, EVERYTHING.  It's like someone at Porsche alerted mgmt that they had a crapton of maroon interior pieces left, and mgmt said "hey, just throw everything on this one 944..."

BTW - I am still struggling to find the best wheel color for maroon.  I think gold is up next.   

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/11/18 10:00 a.m.

My ZX2SR was "RED".    My KJ was "BRIGHT RED".     They matched.

I now have a "Tuxedo Black Metallic "   Fiesta.

I saw a "Midinite Cloud Metallic"   Jeep once.

The names are sometimes more interesting than the color.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/11/18 10:45 a.m.
NorseDave said:

That does look nice.  I have a 944 in "Maraschino Red" which is a maroon, but seems like more towards the purple side.  In fairness, the paint is so bad that there's only like one panel left with proper clearcoat, so it's hard for me to get a real sense of what it was supposed to look like. 

The one thing I don't like is the interior is also maroon.  Everything.  Seats, carpet, steering wheel, dash, doors, EVERYTHING.  It's like someone at Porsche alerted mgmt that they had a crapton of maroon interior pieces left, and mgmt said "hey, just throw everything on this one 944..."

BTW - I am still struggling to find the best wheel color for maroon.  I think gold is up next.   

Yeah, maroon-on-maroon (or blue-on-blue or whatever) is so '80s. It should come with a can of Aqua Net. 

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
5/11/18 1:23 p.m.
Snrub said:

I like it.

It always amazes me that with fun cars most people still select grey, black, white, etc.

If they are buying a new Miata, those are about all you get to choose from.  An okay red, and 6 shades of gray.

Nice color palette for the Mustang.  If the ND were offered in that yellow or orange, I would be shopping for one now.

pistellj
pistellj
8/26/19 8:36 a.m.

I love my Mustang color..The bright sun is her best light, but dusk she sometimes looks like black cherry or merlot.  It's a shame it's been discontinued, but I guess now she's even more special.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/26/19 8:52 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Nice work using online car configurators as "editorial exercise"

Since I work in IT, I call it "end user testing" 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/26/19 8:54 a.m.

Since taking possession of our new 2019 Mazda CX-9 in Soul Red, I have become aware of just how common this color is among new Mazdas on the road.  Apparently it's not just Mazdas.  This shade of dark red is insanely popular right now.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
8/26/19 9:29 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I would prefer the Mustang be that color. Maybe I'm just tired of everything being deep metallic wet looking.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/26/19 10:17 a.m.

Need For Green is my favorite Mustang color. There is a loaded model with an MSRP near $50k at the nearest Ford dealership.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/19 1:03 p.m.

Royal Crimson?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/26/19 1:27 p.m.

Living in Alabama I would never buy a car with crimson in the name of the color.

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
8/26/19 3:30 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Since taking possession of our new 2019 Mazda CX-9 in Soul Red, I have become aware of just how common this color is among new Mazdas on the road.  Apparently it's not just Mazdas.  This shade of dark red is insanely popular right now.

Well, I completely understand when all Mazda offers is what Keith said:

"white, another white, almost white, grey, a different grey, a blue grey, almost black or black "

Soul Red is the ONLY color they offer. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/19 3:42 p.m.

Odd, Red Soul is so much better looking than a Red Soul. We used to call it "candy apple red" and I for one am glad that it's coming back! 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/26/19 4:11 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Living in Alabama I would never buy a car with crimson in the name of the color.

Then I guess something blue and orange because I think Alabama state law requires that you choose one or the other. 

The Kia Soul did offer a houndstooth interior 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
8/26/19 4:17 p.m.
Snrub said:

It always amazes me that with fun cars most people still select grey, black, white, etc.

Maroon red and a half dozen shades of gray are all they offer in the new Miata

They don't offer cars in bright colors, then go on to say people don't buy cars in bright colors.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
8/26/19 4:37 p.m.

I thought that was hyperbole but holy cow. Only other option is metallic blue(see my previous gripe) and only on the GT trim. I would love to see a bright green or an orange or red or blue or....

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
8/26/19 7:03 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Another glorious SUV color on a car.  

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/27/19 1:38 a.m.

I saw one on the other road the other day and my reaction was the same - “Wow!”

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/19 5:09 a.m.

I loved these e34s at the Legends show last week. Stunning!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/19 5:10 a.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
8/27/19 5:55 a.m.

My 08 Version of Dark Candy Apple Red.

The photographer may have had something to do with how well this looks.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
8/27/19 6:50 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I'd be concerned it looks similar to the Cherry Red Pearl color from Nissan in the earl 90s.  Great in sunlight but in the evening/twilight it was very close to purple.

I love purple cars!  I had a violently purple wrangler and I figured I’d catch never ending E36 M3 for it but everyone loved it. 

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
8/27/19 6:54 a.m.
Toebra said:
Snrub said:

Maroon red and a half dozen shades of gray are all they offer in the new Miata

They don't offer cars in bright colors, then go on to say people don't buy cars in bright colors.

It’s maddening. Either you buy an exotic, or a E36 M3 box to get a good color. Everything else’s is boring. Basically unless you are getting a Ferrari or a fiesta you are getting some shade of white. 

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
8/27/19 7:17 a.m.
joey48442 said:

It’s maddening. Either you buy an exotic, or a E36 M3 box to get a good color. Everything else’s is boring. Basically unless you are getting a Ferrari or a fiesta you are getting some shade of white. 

VW offers 40 custom color options on the Golf R:

Image result for vw spektrum colors

But as a person with dicey color vision, if they're going to make a fancy chart showing all of the options, they could at least organize them by color and light to dark instead of this random mess.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DibaRKTTkn4E5EcPN0yOiH1jifoiQpC6xZa6QO7BXG9ZCQs80qgoAeCepG7oxmJ9