1 2
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/8/20 1:08 p.m.

I've said it before.

Baja them in showroom trim and then they'll be worthy of respect.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/8/20 1:18 p.m.

I don't mind it, but then I like the original BMW X6M.  Why do we love to complain about things non of us will buy.? Look on the bright side, it helps pay to keep the Tifosi loose their minds over the fact they are loosing to LCH and Mercedes, so it's all good to mecheeky

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
10/8/20 1:25 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Why do we love to complain about things non of us will buy.? 

Amen 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/8/20 1:27 p.m.

I don't mind it, but then I like the original BMW X6M.  Why do we love to complain about things non of us will buy.?

Because, much as apologists love to claim these things generate profits that support halo sports cars, what these things REALLY generate is more of these things.  Because why would a car company bother making a marginal sports car when they can keep inventing new slightly different variations on this crap, and laugh all the way to the bank?

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/8/20 1:28 p.m.
Vajingo said:

I'm sorry but this is unacceptable. Truly hideous. I'd rather drive that POS Homer Simpson designed. I'd rather a yugo. I'd rather a Dan Rather. 
I saw one on the road today in flat black. The top of the line S series. I actually thought it was one of those home brew cars like some gambler 500 pile. When I got closer I puked. 

You can also get it in a non-coupe version.  

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/8/20 1:30 p.m.
Duke said:

This whole class of vehicle is completely useless and 100% the result of design by marketing committee.

The fact that the engineering department can make them work anyway does nothing to forgive their existence.   Everything about them is based on fundamentally conflicting compromises.

They're as useless as your beloved wagons. But your angry-at-things blinders won't see it that way, I'm sure. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/8/20 1:39 p.m.
Duke said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

[Mercedes] went from the smartest investment you could make if you had respectable money into a complete circus of "I know this will spend more time in the shop than on the road, and it will lose 60% of its value in 5 years, but I'm rich and I want to flaunt how disposable my income is by driving a 5000-lb gas guzzling waste of tarmac that even Richard Hammond would crash.... intentionally."

See also:  Any G-wagen built in the last 15 years.

G-Wagons are largely a functional off-road vehicle and have been for 99% of its existence. Drive a 2004 G-Wagon and tell me it isn't a tractor in a suit lol. Their simplicity and wide-range of swapping parts kept them reliable and easy to work on. Not that you'd even know that. Your comment about "last 15 years" shows your lack of knowledge about them, from like the 70's until just a few years ago the G-Wagon was mostly unchanged except for powertrain updates here and there and some interior updates. That's why you can take parts from a 2013 G-Wagon and put them on your 2002 like Legos. 

Rich people buying it, well its their money. If rich folks decided volvo wagons were the knew money-flaunt-mobile then the same would happen there. 

And resale value, they wont depreciate.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/8/20 1:58 p.m.
yupididit said:
Duke said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

[Mercedes] went from the smartest investment you could make if you had respectable money into a complete circus of "I know this will spend more time in the shop than on the road, and it will lose 60% of its value in 5 years, but I'm rich and I want to flaunt how disposable my income is by driving a 5000-lb gas guzzling waste of tarmac that even Richard Hammond would crash.... intentionally."

See also:  Any G-wagen built in the last 15 years.

G-Wagons are largely a functional off-road vehicle and have been for 99% of its existence. Drive a 2004 G-Wagon and tell me it isn't a tractor in a suit lol. Their simplicity and wide-range of swapping parts kept them reliable and easy to work on. Not that you'd even know that. Your comment about "last 15 years" shows your lack of knowledge about them, from like the 70's until just a few years ago the G-Wagon was mostly unchanged except for powertrain updates here and there and some interior updates. That's why you can take parts from a 2013 G-Wagon and put them on your 2002 like Legos. 

Rich people buying it, well its their money. If rich folks decided volvo wagons were the knew money-flaunt-mobile then the same would happen there. 

And resale value, they wont depreciate.

The "last 15 years" comment was referencing the timeframe of their explosion in popularity among the bourgeoisie.

And I'm not quite sure how a high-floor-pan-low-roofline-4-door-with-a-tiny-back-seat is "equally useless" as a station wagon.  A station wagon is basically a comfortable sedan with the bonus of carrying something fairly large in back when necessary.

My boss has an A5 5-door.  It looks pretty good, which is mostly a function of a normal ride height.  But the roofline means the front seat is cramped and the back seat is downright uncomfortable, and I'm only 5'-10" on a good day.  But at least it drives like a car.

Lifting it and putting giant wheels under it would not improve it in any conceivable way.  It would just make it appeal to whoever is the target market for these things.

10/8/20 2:03 p.m.
Duke said:

I don't mind it, but then I like the original BMW X6M.  Why do we love to complain about things non of us will buy.?

Because, much as apologists love to claim these things generate profits that support halo sports cars, what these things REALLY generate is more of these things.  Because why would a car company bother making a marginal sports car when they can keep inventing new slightly different variations on this crap, and laugh all the way to the bank?

Ah yes, those evil companies making products people want to buy, instead of products a tiny proportion of the public claim they want, but then don't buy in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile.  Got it, those evil berkeleyers, how dare they!!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/8/20 2:08 p.m.
calteg said:

Ugly? Sure

Really I'm just mad that it's much faster than 98% of the cars I've ever owned

That's how I feel about Teslas. They are faster than anything I've ever owned; however, that doesn't negate the fact that they are some of the most pedestrian looking vehicles on the road along with their not-so-exciting color options, they blend right into the mass of overly expensive cars in Southwest LA. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/8/20 2:08 p.m.
Duke said:

Ah yes, those evil companies making products people want to buy, instead of products a tiny proportion of the public claim they want, but then don't buy in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile.  Got it, those evil berkeleyers, how dare they!!

The question was asked why we bitch.

I explained why we bitch.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/8/20 2:27 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

That's how I feel about Teslas. They are faster than anything I've ever owned; however, that doesn't negate the fact that they are some of the most pedestrian looking vehicles on the road along with their not-so-exciting color options, they blend right into the mass of overly expensive cars in Southwest LA. 

I think that might have been intentional, an attempt to whisper "This is just another normal car" rather than scream "This is some oddball electric!"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/8/20 2:39 p.m.

I really like the Tesla styling. I will always take clean and handsome over standing out as a primary goal. I really hope Tesla doesn't succumb to the current "More Is More" styling trend. 

10/8/20 2:41 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said

That's how I feel about Teslas. They are faster than anything I've ever owned;  

That's one of the main reasons I like Teslas.  Having been in and driven several of them I'll never own one until their fit, finish, paint quality, NVH and reliability etc. at least reaches 80's GM E36 M3box level, but the fact they are so fast is awesome.  Why is that?  Not because it impresses me, even though it does, it's because it finally makes performance car and super car acceleration stats completely meaningless.  Who cares if your Ford Corvette 720S All 4 GTR can do 0-60 in 2.whatever seconds when a grocery getting Tesla minivan soccer mom mobile can do it 0.whatever faster.  I hope we can now get back to making cars fun again, and drop the dick swinging 0-60 time BS.  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/8/20 3:53 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
DirtyBird222 said:

I think that might have been intentional, an attempt to whisper "This is just another normal car" rather than scream "This is some oddball electric!"

Yea but the norm these days equates to a generic jelly bean design language. I don't know if it's because it offers a better C/D or if the jelly bean is the least offensive in terms of styling cues. People are crapping all over the new M3/M4 front end but holy cow it's a breath of fresh air. It's bold, it's aggressive, and it stands out. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/8/20 4:01 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said

That's how I feel about Teslas. They are faster than anything I've ever owned;  

That's one of the main reasons I like Teslas.  Having been in and driven several of them I'll never own one until their fit, finish, paint quality, NVH and reliability etc. at least reaches 80's GM E36 M3box level, but the fact they are so fast is awesome.  Why is that?  Not because it impresses me, even though it does, it's because it finally makes performance car and super car acceleration stats completely meaningless.  Who cares if your Ford Corvette 720S All 4 GTR can do 0-60 in 2.whatever seconds when a grocery getting Tesla minivan soccer mom mobile can do it 0.whatever faster.  I hope we can now get back to making cars fun again, and drop the dick swinging 0-60 time BS.  

HP and 0-60 wars are fun though and drive some seriously cool innovation. Electric motors have been able to produce all of their torque at 1RPM for how long now? I'll agree with you, it's cool having that kind of performance in a standard vehicle. I just have my reservations for a plethora of reasons as to why I can't buy into them just yet.

Duke - their design language screams 1984 dystopia to me. K-cars and W-bodies have more design character than a Tesla. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/8/20 4:07 p.m.

Back on topic - I just saw an X6 and GLE during my lunch break. They are massive and ugly. WHY

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/8/20 4:57 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

We'll have to agree to disagree, but that's what's cool about subjective opinions. The new M3 is seriously not bad looking from any angle where you can't get a hint of the front. 

But it's like the hot woman with the short shorts and the crop top, then she turns around and she's got no chin, buck teeth, a giant schnoz, zits, and pop eyes. 

Yeah, she'll "stand out", but...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
50Q47YMYd4mLc72tT8SIhhwX5oqo9NEpoZi6ka8G6sM1rqXoBtH1ouCy0mSyBM4E