914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/13/18 1:30 p.m.

My friend's sister has a 1982 911 that was her husband's.  They were in the throws of a divorce when he died, the car is at my friend's house.  Looks nice, it was put away wet, i.e. no preservation or anticipation of storage.  It was in a warm dry garage for ~10 years and John wants to get it running.  I suggested getting clean paperwork before putting $1 into it.  The car is currently registered to the dead guy at a North Carolina address.  Updating the registration via NC and it just goes to the guy's house.  I don't know where the Title is or the relationship the sister may have with any family or lawyers (& don't want to).  She may or may not have a Death Certificate, John isn't pushing for it and she's not interested in the car.  I'm not asking for anything illegal or immoral, just guidance.

Any first hand experiences or suggestions?

Dan

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/13/18 1:37 p.m.

Isn't this the car the son inherited but didn't want?   If so, he should be able to get a title with the help of the executor, if they want to be bothered that much.       

And +1 on not spending any money until he gets a title. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/13/18 1:40 p.m.

If they were technically still married when he died, the sister "should" have a death certificate.  Someone with that will need to instigate getting the title and processing the sale/transfer.   Then it's a matter of paperwork, which varies greatly by state.  Usually doesn't cost a lot of money, but can take time.

Recently went through a similar process getting an old motorcycle out of my mother's garage and into ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'s garage.

AAZCD
AAZCD New Reader
3/13/18 1:55 p.m.

My step-dad sold my old '71 Beetle that I sold to him back in the '80s. The title was long gone and the car was in Montana at the time. It took a little leg work, but really wasn't hard. NH doesn't require a title on an '82. Read this: https://www.dmv.org/nh-new-hampshire/title-transfers.php

Link to "Exempt" info: https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/title/apply/exempt.htm

Link to the Verification form: www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/tdmv19a.pdf

In your case, properly filling the 'owner' portion  of the verification form may be the sticking point.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/13/18 2:32 p.m.

Ok, thank you.  John's problem....

Steelpig
Steelpig New Reader
3/13/18 3:28 p.m.

For what its worth, many years ago (before the internet) I ended up with a no title parts car that was better than my car.   I ended up finding an ad in a magazine and sent a check, and a blank bill of sale selling my car to someone I never met or spoke to.  About the time I figured I had thrown $300.00 away, I received a New Hampshire title and a bill of sale selling the car back to me.  I want to say it was Broadway Title.  

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
3/13/18 3:46 p.m.

To get a new title on something like this in the past I needed a copy of the death certificate and will in addition to the old title in the deceased name.  This was in TN,  so maybe NH is way more lax.  Unfortunately the problem with the BOS method above is,  well still being in the deceased name,  that creates a bit of an issue.  That leaves your friend with doing some leg work and tracking down former relatives or others who may have the title,    but who also may have a claim to the car unless there is a clear will,  so yeah this one could get complicated.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/13/18 6:57 p.m.

The administrator of the estate would be the person to contact.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oNOeIADz3n2PNMzkczWnzh9pe7sxScscjlfMCfysWwoNn7tdbWwO3VLNkJsH1VAG