SPG123
SPG123 HalfDork
10/21/24 12:45 p.m.

Any experience on this?   Long tubes on a 5.0 Fox Mustang are looking scruffy.  There -may- be some benefit found in heat retention as well...

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
10/21/24 1:13 p.m.

Stainless or mild steel?  I have been quite impressed with the generic Amazon heat wrap.  

I have heard wrapping mild steel headers is a death sentence.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/24 1:18 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Stainless or mild steel?  I have been quite impressed with the generic Amazon heat wrap.  

I have heard wrapping mild steel headers is a death sentence.  

I've also seen that, the theory is that the wrapping holds moisture, accelerating corrosion.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/24 1:37 p.m.

I've wrapped some headers and they actually burned through. Corrosion didn't seem to be a factor.

High temp paint only works up to a certain level of "high temp", but it's certainly easy enough to do. If I was just interested in appearance, I'd probably do that.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/21/24 1:55 p.m.

My daily driver truck has the Eastwood manifold paint on the long tube headers. Been on there for a few years now and has very few burned off spots. I use that manifold paint on a lot of exhaust parts and very fair results on all of them. At least here in the south. The poor 15 is also a good stuff as far as their cast iron manifold paint goes when used on Rusty mild steelheaders

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/21/24 2:10 p.m.

The header on my Datsun has been wrapped for the last 15 years. When I swapped out the motor 5 years a go I checked and they were fine.

EDIT: keep in ind I live I the Mojave Desert

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/24 2:19 p.m.

I have wrapped headers and never had a problem.  Then, I did.  Alot.  2 different exhausts basically deteriorated to nothing within a year.  The wrap was actually holding the tubing together.

So, ymmv.  I have had great luck and horrible luck with header wrap.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/24 2:25 p.m.

Why not both?

My AE92's header has no paint and volcanic wrap, I had one spot that seemed to burn through but no problems otherwise.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3BM5iEQv63Mqw91FwoWgcByTP3F4BY6IOX2luXo0Yi9nIpuMJQ8Iowr4N4mYgZwM