93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/29/12 9:52 a.m.

How much do those headlight films effect visibly? I am not talking black but a light smoke or yellow.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/29/12 9:55 a.m.

Do you mean films or covers? I just put clear headlight films on my F-150 and you can't tell they are there. I'm hoping it'll keep the headlights from getting all dull and yellow like they all seem to these days.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/29/12 9:57 a.m.

Films. I have some crappy clear side markers and I was thinking of putting a headlight film on them to make them look better (and matching on the headlights). Not too worried about any legal stuff since my windows are already over tinted.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
10/29/12 10:11 a.m.

I put some yellow laminx on some miata front clearcorners before. with white bulbs in them, they still looked near white at night. Light output appeared to not be affected much, if at all. No experience with putting it on headlights.

stained glass paint (yellow) actually turns the light output to yellow. again, never tried it on headlights (I painted my foglights this time). actual light output does not appear to be affected.

if you are only talking about doing sidemarkers, then what are you waiting for?

Raze
Raze SuperDork
10/29/12 10:25 a.m.

krylon stained glass paint...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/29/12 10:27 a.m.
Raze wrote: krylon stained glass paint...

Works extremely well, looks great, but MAKE SURE you prep properly and put a layer of automotive clear over it afterwards.

This looked great for about... 6 months. Then went to E36 M3 pretty quickly. No prep, and i didn't clear over it. I'll try again in spring.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/29/12 10:27 a.m.

In reply to failboat:

Meant turn signals. Oops.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
10/29/12 10:30 a.m.

+1 on the suggestion to clear over the krylon paint. my foglights are low to the ground and are chipped as E36 M3. you cant really tell unless you look at them up close. still look yellow and all that so I dont really care.

if you're doing turn signals and use the krylon paint, I would suggest finding orange or mixing layers of red and yellow to make them orange. should look good when you're done. I have even seen people mix in some smoke layers in there and it looks kind of sharp but I think smoked front turn signals look stupid with clear headlights.

a little smoke to rear lights looks good. IMO.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/29/12 10:39 a.m.

Lamin-X worked fine, I was afraid heat would do bad things.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/29/12 11:23 a.m.

Also running Lamin-X on the daily drivers, but clear. No complaints. The ones on the TDi are over 9 years old. Installed shortly after I bought the car.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/29/12 12:35 p.m.

I've had clear film on the headlights in my car for years, to protect them from grit and rocks, and they still look great. I bought it from Rider's Wearhouse, the motorcycle supply in Duluth, MN - it came in a big sheet and I cut out circles to match my lights. It was less expensive and thicker than what I could find in the pre-cut stuff from auto supply houses. The yellow or smoked stuff doesn't make any sense to me, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HuvD3DIkqOfzOxkhrdR9cYyHXwx0sDQwVJv1A174o49B7kwpbrxMpvs08ridI6Je