1 2 3
kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
3/22/15 4:16 p.m.

Don't want to accuse anyone wrongly, but I'm pretty sure it was DW that threw out this little gem: "WOW! (It was yelling, which supports the DW hypothesis) 200 mile (sic) an hour! The amazing thing is these cars are pretty much just like the cars ya'll are driving on the highways."

Am I the only one not driving an 800hp, tube framed, race chassis that resembles nothing sold at a dealership? If so, I feel really stupid.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/22/15 4:19 p.m.

What do you mean? They ARE pretty much like what you can buy at the dealership. I mean, they got four tires, and a steering wheel, and the engines are the same 'cause they have fuel injection and spark plugs and stuff.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
3/22/15 4:24 p.m.

Huh? So stock Camry's can't hit 200mph on a track?

Hmmmh, who knew?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/22/15 4:37 p.m.
Knurled wrote: ... and the engines are the same 'cause they have fuel injection and spark plugs and stuff.

Has NASCAR started using FI?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
3/22/15 4:41 p.m.

I heard that too. Then he started talking about what a good day Danica would have in Cali.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/15 4:45 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Huh? So stock Camry's can't hit 200mph on a track? Hmmmh, who knew?

They should. Camrys are grounded to the ground.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/22/15 4:52 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Couple years ago. This year they have roller cams!

They had some issues with the EFI. Seems their dedicated controller had problems with hot start on restrictor engines. One old crone on another forum I frequent said something to the effect of "I bet he loves his japanese carburetor now!" (add spelling errors as you see fit)

I pointed out that the last cars to have carburetors in the US were Japanese. So were the last cars with points ignition. Japanese auto manufacturing is really conservative with respect to technology.

Didn't bother to point out that the first cars with EFI were American (1958 Mopar something-or-other), Bosch used the hell out of the mechanical FI that they developed from what Rochester started with in the 50s and abandoned, American cars were first with electronic ignition, ABS, airbags, wasted spark and coil on plug ignitions... I'd just be confusing his cramped little worldview.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/22/15 5:04 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Yup

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/22/15 5:28 p.m.
logdog wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: Huh? So stock Camry's can't hit 200mph on a track? Hmmmh, who knew?
They should. Camrys are grounded to the ground.

OK thanks. It took me a whole year to forget that stupid commercial and ya went and brought it up again!! I have never been sure why Toyota thought using those two Bozos would somehow sway potential buyers to their products because of their endorsement.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/22/15 5:58 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: Don't want to accuse anyone wrongly, but I'm pretty sure it was DW that threw out this little gem: "WOW! (It was yelling, which supports the DW hypothesis) 200 mile (sic) an hour! The amazing thing is these cars are pretty much just like the cars ya'll are driving on the highways." Am I the only one not driving an 800hp, tube framed, race chassis that resembles nothing sold at a dealership? If so, I feel really stupid.

my wife began laughing.........

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/22/15 6:42 p.m.

I almost lost it when one of them mentioned Ludicrous speed early in the race.

Was not expecting that from anyone associated with NASCAR.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/15 7:04 p.m.

DW also said something late in the race about all 43 cars still running. He went on to say how rare that is in racing "anywhere in the world". I kinda wondered if that was a shot at F1 for last week's Aussie GP.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
3/23/15 8:49 a.m.

Could they hit ludicrous speed with the self-driving Google bubble?

Hey DW. Here is the future of NASCAR.....

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/23/15 9:50 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Didn't bother to point out that the first cars with EFI were American (1958 Mopar something-or-other), Bosch used the hell out of the mechanical FI that they developed from what Rochester started with in the 50s and abandoned, American cars were first with electronic ignition, ABS, airbags, wasted spark and coil on plug ignitions... I'd just be confusing his cramped little worldview.

Chrysler is too backasswards for that.....it was AMC with the first production EFI setup('57 Rambler)granted they couldn't figure out the cold....and they were only 2 years behind the first mechanical fuel injection setup on a production car('55 300SL)

'58 saw Chrysler somehow pulling off primitive efi.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
3/23/15 11:19 a.m.

And where are these rwd v8 Camreys at?

chiodos
chiodos Reader
3/23/15 12:29 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: And where are these rwd v8 Camreys at?

On the highway doing 200mph duh.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/23/15 12:52 p.m.

i heard that, and just kind of brushed it off. the commentators get paid to say stuff to fill the airwaves, and sometimes they say silly things.

and i bet the guy that said the "ludicrous speed" line was Mike Joy... he always throws in little weird references like that: he's thrown quotes from movies like Blazing Saddles and Life of Brian into NASCAR broadcasts in the past.. he's a nerd.. he's into cars and racing... he's one of us..

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
3/23/15 1:51 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Knurled wrote: Didn't bother to point out that the first cars with EFI were American (1958 Mopar something-or-other), Bosch used the hell out of the mechanical FI that they developed from what Rochester started with in the 50s and abandoned, American cars were first with electronic ignition, ABS, airbags, wasted spark and coil on plug ignitions... I'd just be confusing his cramped little worldview.
Chrysler is too backasswards for that.....it was AMC with the first production EFI setup('57 Rambler)granted they couldn't figure out the cold....and they were only 2 years behind the first mechanical fuel injection setup on a production car('55 300SL) '58 saw Chrysler somehow pulling off primitive efi.

It took well into the 90's for Bosch to figure out cold start on EFI. We dealt with flooding cars at -20C and colder for years and years. The mid 90's and up have been excellent.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/23/15 2:12 p.m.

where can I buy a Toyota pushrod v8 ?

at least Chevy, Ford, and (before the left NASCAR) Dodge sold those as crate motors

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
3/23/15 2:20 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Just buy a Chevy. I hear they are pretty much the same thing...

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
3/23/15 2:25 p.m.

Here's one this was a SEMA build from 2010 that was auctioned off a couple of year ago. One off build As far as where to buy one. Maybe TRD will send one your way if your pockets are deep enough

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/23/15 2:26 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: i heard that, and just kind of brushed it off. the commentators get paid to say stuff to fill the airwaves, and sometimes they say silly things. and i bet the guy that said the "ludicrous speed" line was Mike Joy... he always throws in little weird references like that: he's thrown quotes from movies like Blazing Saddles and Life of Brian into NASCAR broadcasts in the past.. he's a nerd.. he's into cars and racing... he's one of us..

True--- Mike Joy is a GRM / CMS reader, owns a Healey, and is a total sports car guy. He always makes a point to say hello when we are at the same events. Mike is a total class act, and a voice of reason in the announcer's booth.

He's also the only one who tends to use the English language properly Of course DW and McReynolds don't speak English---- they speak Merikan!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/15 2:29 p.m.

the question is - why are you guys watching nascar to begin with?

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
3/23/15 2:32 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Baseball hasn't really started yet.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
3/23/15 5:27 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

It was on and I don't mind napping during during an oval race.
TBH, I'll watch most anything within the category of 'motosports'

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cZPTgIgich69eR8r5jyC2ETlUrNTUrJNjArsS30sQxZNc6JLonOL3ckA7XDpPIhh