1 2 3
BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
3/23/15 5:31 p.m.

The only thing this thread has made me think about is how much I want a V8 rwd Camry now.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/23/15 5:51 p.m.

I think Kyle Busch might have one he would sell cheap. a little body damage.

850Combat
850Combat Reader
3/23/15 6:06 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:

DW and McReynolds don't speak English---- they speak Merikan!

Does "Boogity Boogity Boogity" mean something other than "I'm a dumbass" in that language?

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
3/23/15 7:21 p.m.
patgizz wrote: the question is - why are you guys watching nascar to begin with?

Because racecars and a V8 winding out to 9000 RPM

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
3/23/15 7:27 p.m.

Holy crap they wind out to 9000rpm? Also I want a v8 camry now. Mostly just to hoon and mess with people.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
3/23/15 7:55 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

I've got a '57 300SL in the shop right now.

That Mercedes mechanical FI is direct injection, stuff that only became standard on production vehicles in the last decade or so.

Rochester MFI came out after the Mercedes version..

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/23/15 8:12 p.m.

If you think a points ignition is "electronic" then the Bendix injection system in the late '50's is EFI. Otherwise it might be more honest to call it "electrically controlled injection".

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/15 8:30 p.m.

TV could use more Mike Joy and less DW and Larry McReynolds. I liked him better with Buddy Baker or Ned Jarrett.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/23/15 8:42 p.m.
patgizz wrote: the question is - why are you guys watching nascar to begin with?

Because "Cupcake Wars" was pre-empted.

850Combat
850Combat Reader
3/23/15 11:31 p.m.

I liked Ned Jarret

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/24/15 12:52 p.m.
JacktheRiffer wrote: Holy crap they wind out to 9000rpm? Also I want a v8 camry now. Mostly just to hoon and mess with people.

I believe shift point was 10,5 at road courses.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
3/24/15 3:45 p.m.

Before Nascar started making mandatory gear rules, turning 9,800 rpm was pretty common. On some of the bigger tracks like Michigan, the engine stays up there for a looong time. It amazes me those things stayed together, especially with a flat tappet cam. This coming weekend is one of my personal highlights of the season and why I love stock car racing. 43 cars with over 750 hp, on a 1/2 mile track with little banking. How can that not get your heartbeat up a little? TV does not do places like Bristol, Richmond, or Martinsville any justice.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/24/15 3:51 p.m.
ncjay wrote: Before Nascar started making mandatory gear rules, turning 9,800 rpm was pretty common. On some of the bigger tracks like Michigan, the engine stays up there for a looong time. It amazes me those things stayed together, especially with a flat tappet cam.

Well NASCAR finally went to FI. Do you think they will ever go to OHC?

ncjay
ncjay Dork
3/24/15 4:03 p.m.

Don't rush things. They finally got roller lifters. What they have now seems to be working pretty well.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/24/15 4:33 p.m.
ncjay wrote: Before Nascar started making mandatory gear rules, turning 9,800 rpm was pretty common. On some of the bigger tracks like Michigan, the engine stays up there for a looong time. It amazes me those things stayed together, especially with a flat tappet cam.

There was a thread somewhere where a guy commissioned an aluminum copy of the Chevy R07. So he had to get some iron blocks to inspect/measure/dissect. He described the oiling system as "priority camshaft".

They had sealed cam tunnels and they flooded them with oil oil and more oil. And the head and valve cover were arranged so the valvesprings sat in a pool of oil that was continuously refreshed.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
3/24/15 4:40 p.m.

The first motor Toyota ran in Nascar was a dual overhead cam V6, I know because it was our car. We had to create special tools as the inspectors didn't understand how to check the displacement. We then topped it with a VERY expensive carb. We tested the car with carbs we tricked out ourselves, against one of the expensive versions, and the $10k carb made a bunch more hp. That was 15 years ago.

To say Nascar is low tech is simply not true. You may complain about the push rod motors, but to get that kind of hp at that price point, that can last 600 miles is pretty decent.

They spend quite a bit of time in wind tunnels, on shaker rigs, and use some fairly exotic materials in some places, but they do know how to control costs to the teams, and that is one thing that makes them more successful.

Still, I love sports car racing better however.

Anyway, I still want a V8, tube frame Camry....

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/26/15 6:06 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
Lancer007 wrote: And where are these rwd v8 Camreys at?
where can I buy a Toyota pushrod v8 ? at least Chevy, Ford, and (before the left NASCAR) Dodge sold those as crate motors

you aint buying a NASCR Cup spec engine as a crate motor from the oems... you can buy the raw head and block castings from them, as well as the intake manifold and stuff like valve covers, but you are on your own from there. just take those parts and about $150k to a machinist that deals with those engines- then ad the efi systems that they have to run for another $10-$15k or so- and you can have an engine that would maybe keep up with the cars that always finish 30th and lower...

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/26/15 6:34 a.m.

I'm sorry, I'll mail in my GRM card.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/26/15 6:56 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
wbjones wrote:
where can I buy a Toyota pushrod v8 ? at least Chevy, Ford, and (before the left NASCAR) Dodge sold those as crate motors
you aint buying a NASCR Cup spec engine as a crate motor from the oems... you can buy the raw head and block castings from them, as well as the intake manifold and stuff like valve covers, but you are on your own from there. just take those parts and about $150k to a machinist that deals with those engines- then ad the efi systems that they have to run for another $10-$15k or so- and you can have an engine that would maybe keep up with the cars that always finish 30th and lower...

never claimed I could buy a NASCAR Cup spec engine from the OEM's … but I can buy a "similar" engine … i.e. a pushrod v8 with either EFI or a carb from the big three … not Toyota

but then NASCAR "jumped the shark" when they let Ford run the Taurus many yrs ago … it didn't fit the "spec" that was NASCAR any more than Toyota engines do

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/26/15 7:57 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
novaderrik wrote:
wbjones wrote:
never claimed I could buy a NASCAR Cup spec engine from the OEM's … but I can buy a "similar" engine … i.e. a pushrod v8 with either EFI or a carb from the big three … not Toyota but then NASCAR "jumped the shark" when they let Chevy run the Lumina many yrs ago … it didn't fit the "spec" that was NASCAR any more than Toyota engines do

FTFY

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/26/15 11:07 a.m.

good catch …was the 2 door Lumina allowed in before the 2 door Taurus ? I don't remember the timeline

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
3/26/15 11:20 a.m.

In reply to wbjones: IIRC the 88/89 Lumina, Grand Prix, Regal and Cutlass were the first "silhouette" cars allowed in by NASCAR and predated the 2 door Taurus by almost 10 years (mid to late 90's when the Thunderbird was phased out). Part of the reason Chrysler left NASCAR back in the early 80's is that they didn't have a body/chassis other than the Imperial that was allowed per the rulebook. NASCAR changed the rules in the late 80's for GM when the RWD G-body's were discontinued.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
3/26/15 11:21 a.m.

Yep, They changed the rule from "engine must be available in the body style" to "engine must be based on a production engine" (or something like that) so Chevy could run the Lumina since the Monte Carlo was being replaced by it. Then after they allowed Toyota to bypass the production engine rule, all the other manufacturers (mainly Chevy) cried foul and now they are all essentially full on designed for NASCAR race engines.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/15 11:43 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
wbjones wrote:
novaderrik wrote:
wbjones wrote:
never claimed I could buy a NASCAR Cup spec engine from the OEM's … but I can buy a "similar" engine … i.e. a pushrod v8 with either EFI or a carb from the big three … not Toyota but then NASCAR "jumped the shark" when they let Olds and Buick run the Delta 88 and LeSabre many yrs ago … it didn't fit the "spec" that was NASCAR any more than Toyota engines do
FTFY

FTFY

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
3/26/15 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Wally: I stand corrected, forgot about the LeSabre and Delta 88's. Cool pix!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
InvfQYmdnYUv3uSueOh4LaR8aOLIJarnSs1N1COAAfc96JfhSpbFcDAsf6muEsua