1 2 3
wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/26/15 12:43 p.m.

I know the Delta 88 was available as a 4 door … did that go away and they were only available as 2 door at some timeline

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
3/26/15 1:09 p.m.

Delta 88's and the LeSabre were available as a 2 door coupe and 4 door sedan when they were initially downsized to the FWD chassis (first generation of H-body I believe).

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/26/15 1:20 p.m.
wbjones wrote: good catch …was the 2 door Lumina allowed in before the 2 door Taurus ? I don't remember the timeline

Chevy sold millions of 2 door Luminas to the general public- i owned one at one point..NASCAR let them stretch it an manipulate it in a few ways so it would fit over the NASCAR chassis, mostly to allow older chassis to be reskinned with new Lumina parts cheaply by teams. for the 1995 model year, the newly redesigned 2 door Lumina was called "Monte Carlo", mostly for nostalgic NASCAR reasons since that was the winningest nameplate in the modern NASCAR age. then they kept that car in production long past the time that it's sales justified keeping it around just so they could say that they had the only V8 powered 2 door production car that was on the track every weekend. GM only stopped building and selling the Monte Carlo after NASCAR announced that they were making changes to the chassis for safety and to make the cars look like most modern cars in silhouette, and thus the Impala (pretty much the 4 door Monte Carlo) became the nameplate used in the new "Car of Tomorrow" racers.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
niGG7q62HDaiGVbKyYAWORiR12iCxSOsXYQMXn6Nb9xFuufQVjUbzFI53a6gSYHz