irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/7/19 8:31 p.m.

I'm thinking about building a heavy-duty sliding "tray" for the back of our service rig SUV, to put a heavy-ish (~250lb) toolchest on so then we can just slide it out on a platform to use at race service. Obviously there are "buy new" options for heavy-duty drawer sliders, but just thinking out loud on where I might find these "more grassroots" (like, some kind of industrial origin?)

So, any thoughts on that - or on what ones I coudl buy new that are inexpensive but will do the job?

i.e. somethign like this, but on a smaller scale, is what I plan to build

Image result for slide-out platform SUV

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones New Reader
7/7/19 9:06 p.m.

I don’t ever remember seeing an RV in a junkyard, but I’m sure they’re out there. Most of the big ones have a sliding tray in the bottom storage areas. Might find the complete setup, tray and all. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/7/19 9:56 p.m.

Some 1" square tubing and skateboard wheel bearings. This should give you some ideas. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
7/7/19 10:39 p.m.

3" channel iron and wheels  from an I-beam trolley is the cheapest very heavy duty option. 

ChasH
ChasH Reader
7/7/19 10:45 p.m.

How about an extension ladder from a fire company? They gotta have a service life.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/7/19 11:14 p.m.
oldopelguy said:

3" channel iron and wheels  from an I-beam trolley is the cheapest very heavy duty option. 

This. There's a few ways you could orient the rails and bearings as well, depending on the packaging situation, along w/ a few other considerations.

Also, a good latching system to secure all when not extended and to keep the tool chest from tipping when driving while loaded. That would suck. A lot.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/8/19 2:11 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

I don’t ever remember seeing an RV in a junkyard, but I’m sure they’re out there. Most of the big ones have a sliding tray in the bottom storage areas. Might find the complete setup, tray and all. 

yeah, I was thinking along those lines. I have no idea where to find RVs around here though. This isn't really a "junyard-rich" area

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/8/19 2:26 p.m.

These are new but pretty inexpensive. I'm running the 36" ones in the drawers in the back of my 4runner without issues. They don't weigh 250lbs but they've been fine through more than a few offroad trips. 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
7/8/19 2:28 p.m.

Skateboard trucks or wheels and axles?  Hammer Store dollies?  Pop-up camper pull-out bed mechanisms?  

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
7/8/19 2:46 p.m.

if you want pictures of a bed slide and how they work, let me know. My company has about 10 of them in our warehouse. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/8/19 2:57 p.m.
bluej said:
oldopelguy said:

This. There's a few ways you could orient the rails and bearings as well, depending on the packaging situation, along w/ a few other considerations.

Also, a good latching system to secure all when not extended and to keep the tool chest from tipping when driving while loaded. That would suck. A lot.

yeah, ideally it would use under-mount slides rather than side-mount. Maybe I should let you design them since I'm building them primarily for your benefit (and that of other crew people at rally) ;)

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/8/19 3:19 p.m.

My favorite industrial surplus supplier whom I watch for stuff like that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qAVAmsntuwF3IsshCOqSShkLRvWPyP6QloMauSOedDtyhCaKWrmSEwNhEMphN312