turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/15 5:04 p.m.

I've been looking for an NC for a little while to use for a DD and weekend cruiser.

Since I'll be commuting in it, I'd like an automatic and the 6-speed auto is survivable. I still have the 924 for racing and rowing my own gears and other project related kinda stuff.

I just sold the 944 Turbo and the 740IL is next to go which should help with the $10K budget I'm trying to stay within.

So the two contenders I've found recently:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5103779197.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/5108149611.html

Im leaning towards the blue because I like the color and the factory hardtop is nice. The interior is dull, dull, dull though.

The white has one of the interior colors I prefer and I don't mind white, but that would be another white car in the fleet to go with the Highlander and the 924. It's also more expensive and has more miles than the blue one.

Thoughts?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/10/15 5:12 p.m.

Question: Do you really have room to store the hardtop? It's a major PITA that takes a lot of room up if you aren't going to use it. Or you go to the other extreme and never take it off because you don't have room to store it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/10/15 5:23 p.m.

I was wondering what the heck you were talking about until i realized that was a removable hardtop, no the power folding.

Much as i MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the blue and hardtop, i'd say skip that one because some moron hacked up the hood to put vents in a stock automatic Miata. I'd hedge that the 10k less miles don't matter, as this one has had a harder life.

If it were me shopping between these two and they were manuals, i'd go with the blue one since i'm just going to rag on it anyways.

But for a commuter, i'd want as 100% stock as possible. The hardtop would be awesome, though. You and i both know how much i hate convertibles.

Adrift
Adrift Reader
7/10/15 5:35 p.m.

I missed the hood vents the first time but did see the side strakes which I hope are stick on and can be removed. I wouldn't do it but I could live with the hood vents.

Why does this car make a claimed 180 HP? I don't think that is stock HP. Hood vents and side strakes don't get you 10-15 HP.

I love blue cars (my NA is Laguna Blue) so unless the blue was run ragged, that would be my choice. I believe NC hardtops are extremely rare due to the PRHT option. That is a big bonus to me.

Storage with a stand is no big deal. I carry mine up and down the basement steps by myself and with the stand ($120) it takes up very little room.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/10/15 5:42 p.m.

I say the 180hp is just a dealer that doesn't know what they're talking about. Weird.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
7/10/15 5:45 p.m.

And who's to say you couldn't get the white for the same price or less. At that point you could shop for your own hardtop if you wanted one. I like the blue, but the white car appears to be much nicer, at least in pictures.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/15 6:02 p.m.

Removable hardtops for NCs are a rare beast. I'll bet you could get some significant coin for it if you didn't want it.

But I prefer the white.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
7/10/15 6:15 p.m.

I didn't even know they made removable hard tops for the NC...

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/10/15 6:16 p.m.

I prefer white in this instance. That blue car screams crappy previous owner. Due to the cheesy crap slapped on it and the condition the interior is in.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/10/15 7:21 p.m.

I dig the blue with the hood vents and strakes.

But the white car has the whole package. That interior is gorgeous.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
7/10/15 8:24 p.m.

I like the blue exterior but the white cars interior. Both are very pretty though!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
7/10/15 8:28 p.m.
fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
7/10/15 9:48 p.m.

White car has an awesome interior.
Not that this matters but the NC engine compartment is blah. Sure its clean, but no soul.... just plastic bits covering the engine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BGBUYmZALD2djuXfzp3D7IFfnNIXHSIxMwFEIl2vY9nH5JSjyptZLtSVJ4Ix7vqb