1 2 3
aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/22/12 1:51 p.m.

Yep 1st gen used to be the standard upgrade, with Volvo 4 piston cast calipers, although the 2nd gen works better now with aluminum calipers.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/22/12 5:04 p.m.

Damn good thing you bought it, Greg. Thank you for removing temptation!

CPannell
CPannell New Reader
6/22/12 6:14 p.m.

You need camber plates for 1st gen struts. When maxed out they yield about -1*. Killed a fairly fresh set of RA1s at Nashville SS that way. You could also go to a custom control arm and traction rod setup with a speedway swaybar. Or have an adapter made for the spindle so you can just use 1st gen hubs/brakes on the RX-3 spindle.

Edit: oh, and RX-3 Brake rotors are worth their weight in gold. Don't cock them up. Hawk Blues ate our spare pair in a season. I've had good luck using carbotech pads. 2-3 seasons and the rotors look new.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
6/22/12 9:34 p.m.

Driving to get it now. Will post pictures once I get it. Should probably start a new thread on it too.

Checked will Paul at Mazmart about some pieces. He is going to check next week and let me know. John at Garage Zero is going to see if he can locate any parts for it in the greater ATL area that I can pickup.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
6/22/12 9:47 p.m.

Good choice, RX3's are so ridiculous that they are cool. At that price, its simply a no brainer.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/22/12 11:19 p.m.

So I gotta admit, after deciding not to pick up this car I was really starting to wonder if I had made a mistake. I couldn't get the car out of my mind. Then I saw a CL ad for a mint '98 2.5RS impreza with a blown headgasket. I bought it earlier this evening and now I'm happy again Plus, now I can get rid of my other 2.5RS and parts car, and keep the Datsun. Win, win, win! I guess the RX-3 just wasn't meant to be for me this time...

BTW, Greg, if you'd like to meet up while you're in town to grab some drinks or check out the Wreck Racing shop, let me know - I'll PM you my contact info.

-Jared

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
6/24/12 2:41 p.m.

Got home in once piece. The car came with a ton of extra parts. It would likely be possible to sell the parts to zero the car out.

Jared, I apologize for not getting in touch. I didn't check my email or this thread until I got back today. I certainly appreciate the offer though.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/24/12 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth:

No problem. Glad to hear the trip went well. I'm looking forward to seeing the car again at the challenge if you decide to bring it. Keep us posted on it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iRB5ByIG3VKVaMvN5Z62OKTFFa09aLHWnLmOCnvejyDH58BIuOaxQLw7jLB9m61y