Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/21 10:33 a.m.

Every week or 2 I get another dumb idea. Current one is to use my 2000 Firebird as a HS autocross car and 2021 Challenge enrty.

190k miles, 3800 V6, 5spd hardtop floors are rusted through and the quarter panels are bubbling in places. From 5 feet away the car looks great. Paint needs a good buffing but is good, nice inside but not leather. Needs tires and a/c goes flat a few days after charging. Gas gauge inop (needs sending unit).

I can fix the floors, add a LSD and good rubber. Hope it does OK in HS vs the Mini's then come to the challenge if my FMV is low enough.

Talk me out of this?

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/21 10:42 a.m.

Photos are definitely needed 

4/8/21 1:14 p.m.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/21 1:20 p.m.

Oh, I had confused this with the other Firebird you previously brought to The Challenge (and did very well with!)  

So you are looking for a Fair Market Value (FMV) for Challenge purpose.  Did you not buy this car?  Was it given to you?  Did you buy it many years ago?  

4/8/21 2:34 p.m.

I've owned the car 7 years, 100k+ miles of my own use. I did a ring and bearing job on the engine shortly after I bought the car. It had developed a rod knock. That was 100k miles ago.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/8/21 3:10 p.m.

I looked on Facebook Marketplace.  This one is hard to FMV for a price that would be challenge legal.  I only found 1 4th Gen Firebird or Camaro for under $2000 and it didn't run.   The rest where $3500-$8000 depending on engine.   I'm not sure how much of that is that these were $1800 cars in March of 2019 that have now been Stimy'd up to $3500+ or it's Covid + Stimy.  I do know I've never seen a particularly cheap 4th gen in any condition.    That one looks pretty decent despite the mileage.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/21 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

By your own admission, the car looks good in pictures.  I would recommend taking some other pictures that accentuate the faults of the car.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/8/21 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

Ask yourself how much you'd take for the car ready to go at the challenge. Then offer it at that price a month or so before the challenge. If you have no takers, then you can make a clear case. If you get a taker, then you should sell it.  Fair is fair.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t0YIcotC62qeDQGAwHcswcfK9QxycTuFU29LxZ1saKfxaf60vG8Pl01iCvQKjCSX