akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/7/21 2:19 p.m.

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/224c2878

Like this one in price but less miles.

This will be for my wife, her requirements, not beige or red maybe silver, prefer black or blue or... Interior not gray.

I would prefer a fly and drive from out of the rust belt, a ten year old Michigan car is a few years away from the oxidation monster.  Ideal and likely wishfull thinking would be a private party, dealer serviced, 98k miles, premium, AWD for $10k.  FWD if fine also.

Maybe stretch back to 08-09, if it was just the right car at the right price but the 2010 is better in may ways that appeal to me.  

We test drove an 07 that was a 10 footer with 118k on it, asking $10,500 SWMBO liked the car just not that one.

This is to replace our 09 Mazda5.  Just started shopping but ready to purchase any time after we get back from Florida.  Bonus points if I can drive one back from Florida next Tuesday.

With sales of 100,000 per year this should not be hard to find.

Blah, blah, and GO!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/7/21 2:29 p.m.

I suggest adding the lesser known but still very well equipped 2008 to 2015 Toyota Venza to your shopping list.

The Venza sits a little lower and is more Lux and less Butch than the Toyota Highlander of similar years

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/7/21 2:31 p.m.

Florida should be deep in these types of cars which are often driven by retirees.   What part of Florida are you visiting? 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/7/21 2:45 p.m.

A friend of mine bought a brand new RX of that vintage, his wife put 80k miles on it over 4 years, and he sold it for like $5k less than new.  We are now in a used car bubble and that's one of the most ubiquitous, popular vehicles out there.  Keep your checkbook in your hand and be ready to pounce.  Or just start leaving notes on the windshield wipers at the grocery store with an offer?

Only problem with retirees is that many of them have the Camry Dent on the corners. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/7/21 2:54 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Orlando.

I keep showing her Venzas, her response is Meh, Maybe but not in that color or It's OK.  I'll find a suitable one and have her drive it.   They appear to be a better deal and after driving the RX she asked it there was a suitable replacement with out the premium badge and price. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/7/21 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H (Forum Supporter) :

My wife loves Camry dents, I have to just look away.  She is easy on cars mechanically, (brakes just slow you down) but the interior and exterior get trashed.  So we need leather this time.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/7/21 2:58 p.m.

If a loaded Avalon is a near-Lexus.  This is the Avalon wagon.  

The Venza was offered in 2.7L 4cyl and 3.5L 6 cyl.  

Speaking of wanting to find one dealer serviced, see my post in this thread on how to set up an account to download all dealer service details for Toyota and Lexus.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/7/21 2:59 p.m.

I know the older Highlanders used to share a platform with the RX3x0s for the first Gen, not sure if that carried into the second generation.

Rav4 might be another option, they have a surprisingly spacious second row that slides back and forth depending if you need more passenger or cargo room.

As TylerH mentioned these are pretty sought after used vehicles, and the prices typically reflect that.

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/7/21 3:08 p.m.

When I was looking for my Tundra, I wanted an SR5 with the rarer dark gray / charcoal (FK12 option code) interior.  I started running a Google search of the VIN prefix for the year and options I wanted, sorted by most recent results, and got a hit on a VIN in the coming soon section of a Toyota dealership a couple of hours away....before they even published the page.  Guess Google just indexed the VIN from the pending ad.  One-owner truck, traded in at the same dealer that sold it new, low miles.

I called the dealer and told them I wanted it and they were surprised that I even knew about it -- it was still in the bullpen and had just been traded over the weekend.  Told them not to even clean it up and that I would be there with a check next day.  

So maybe try a Google search on the VIN prefix of the years and options you want?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/7/21 3:15 p.m.

'12 in Orlando w/ 108k asking $12.9k, private seller

'08 in Orlando w/130k asking $6.5k, private seller...seems cheap!

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/7/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

that '08 is borderline suspiciously cheap.

Age and miles seem pretty on point at the $11k mark..

good hunting to you finding a better deal in this nutty market.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/8/21 5:14 a.m.

Just sent Jamie a link to the one for $11k and an image of a Venza for comparison.

I'll also show her the one in Orlando for $12, both seem appropriate for the mileage.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/21 5:29 a.m.

If you expand your search to include Gainesville, I'll help with the transaction. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hNzo6hTI8IYqvue5LP1Vt8yuwo8mpN3rfXKFHlDMk1PhjLb2S0Fyw82KZULV5m1n