1 2
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/16 7:01 a.m.

OK, so I finished replacing the manifold gasket and found two leaks. No biggie, the OE mainfold only uses 6 of the 10 bolt holes to hold the manifold on. It leaked in every spot thta was missing bolts. No problem, I have plenty of Korean bolts from other projects. So now no leaks at the manifold. Still a leak. Tracked that down to where the upper portion meets the lower portion of hte header.

This is what it looks like:

the two hole, 3 bolt gasket. It looks familiar but I'm not placing where I've seen that style gasket. Any help is appreciated.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
3/3/16 7:06 a.m.

Honda d series civic.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/16 7:16 a.m.

I just found the subie gasket as well:

Looks like this weekend I'll pull it apart and visit some parts stores. The D-series is 1.75" center hole and the Subbie is a little bigger at 1.875

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
3/3/16 7:22 a.m.

Just walk into your local auto parts store with that gasket in hand. They likely have a bin full of similar gaskets. It's a pretty common design, and the variables are small.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/16 7:25 a.m.

I was afraid this would be one of those "Oh, ypou have to order that from the manufacturer in Korea and they don't speak english and it takes 2 months to get it" kind of things.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/3/16 10:08 a.m.

Good parts stores will have'm hanging on a peg board rack out back. Just hold it up to match.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/16 11:36 a.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Good parts stores will have'm hanging on a peg board rack out back. Just hold it up to match.

Those don't exist anymore. All the ones I knew went out of business.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/3/16 12:03 p.m.

Land Rover Discovery, manifold to y-pipe

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
3/3/16 12:10 p.m.

My lovely Nissan Chinese stainless header has a very similar gasket, and it came out close to an ROL number (EG24024), but having held it against every single gasket in the catalogue, its a random size that means nothing.

I took a copy of it, and will get one cut from soft copper when it fails.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
3/3/16 12:13 p.m.

the OBX header for the 4age's had a similar 3 bolt, 2 hole gasket like the one in this picture, maybe try to contact OBX and see if you can get one from them.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/16 12:19 p.m.

Orange high temp silicone.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/16 1:24 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Orange high temp silicone.

I was seriously considering the copper sealant Permatex makes.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/3/16 1:30 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote: the OBX header for the 4age's had a similar 3 bolt, 2 hole gasket like the one in this picture, maybe try to contact OBX and see if you can get one from them.

OBX gaskets are E36 M3 though.

This is what the Saturn guys use to replace the OBX gasket:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sce-9400

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/16 3:52 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
edizzle89 wrote: the OBX header for the 4age's had a similar 3 bolt, 2 hole gasket like the one in this picture, maybe try to contact OBX and see if you can get one from them.
OBX gaskets are E36 M3 though. This is what the Saturn guys use to replace the OBX gasket: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sce-9400

That's awesome! Yeah, the MAintec version is likely the same taiwanese/chinese crap from OBX and it too sucks... obviously it's leaking

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/3/16 3:54 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
44Dwarf wrote: Good parts stores will have'm hanging on a peg board rack out back. Just hold it up to match.
Those don't exist anymore. All the ones I knew went out of business.

My 2nd to last one just got bought by Advanced...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/16 3:54 p.m.

BTW, THIS is why I come here for help first. I swear someone somewhere on this forum has seen it, done it or know who did. It's amazing the brain-trust in here.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/3/16 4:12 p.m.

Another vote for Ultra Copper. Thin coat, slap together, done. That E36 M3 is gold in a tube.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/16 4:40 p.m.

I'm guessing you verified the flanges are flat?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/16 4:41 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Knurled wrote: Orange high temp silicone.
I was seriously considering the copper sealant Permatex makes.

That too. Both work great.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/16 5:37 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: I'm guessing you verified the flanges are flat?

They're close enough that a decent gasket will seal. The gasket that came with it looked pre-smashed to be honest and I had my doubts as to its ability to seal.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/16 5:40 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Not surprising with eBay special headers.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/16 5:48 p.m.

These ain't no ebay OBX's. These are straight from Korea Maintec..... only because there were no cheap ebay headers. lol

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
3/3/16 8:11 p.m.

I'd walk in to a muffler shop instead of a parts store. They will have something on hand.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/3/16 10:25 p.m.

Just go to summit and order a few of the sheets made of gasket material and cut it out yourself. Is like 5$ for enough to build half a motor with. Saves my butt all the time. Though the copper seal will do the job just fine.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/6/16 8:21 a.m.

Well, once I got it out this is what I found:

The front bolt had backed off just enough. Took it to a few places. Te Subaru gasket is too small as these holes are 2"ID. Even the SCA gasket from summit would have been too small as they wet 1-7/8" holes.

So the local NAPA had a huge sheet of the gasket material and a tube of copper sealer. $18 out the door and I was home cutting my new gasket. twice. That shiz is HARD to cut! waiting to start it up until the sealer has had a chance to cure a bit.

Hoping for hte best!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LHiHoMBGbRkcu1ZCJ6cFZEauL1mB9X5dTxYd7Mu4kDvzQd96CYAQosNt31Hn0XAH