1 2
44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
7/19/14 5:42 a.m.

Yes sir. bows down.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/19/14 6:35 p.m.

This thread leads to a serious question, has anybody hear ever had an ez out work on bolt that was broken off trying to remove it? I just can't see how the damn thing would ever work unless you broke off a bolt tightening it and the broken piece was already willing to just spin out.

You just can't really wail on one hard enough to break rust free or anything like that.

Tralfaz
Tralfaz Reader
7/19/14 7:48 p.m.

woot

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/19/14 7:56 p.m.

I got into this situation because I did have one work for me. I snapped the head off a handle bar riser bolt on a motorcycle. Thing worked like a charm.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
7/19/14 8:08 p.m.

They work but the trick is to drill completely through the broken bolt first. This seems to let it shrink just enough that the EZ-out can pull it out.

I've used them a lot and had good luck but as you're discovering, when one breaks, you're pretty much berkeleyed because there are not a whole lot of cutting tools harder than an EZ-out.

One thing to try, and this would be a last resort..

Get a masonry bit with a carbide tip which is a bit smaller than the bolt or EZ-out.

Put it in a drill or drill press that will turn 2000rpm or better and bring the speed all the way up.

Use no cutting oil or lube, just apply lots of pressure and get the carbide tip on the bit red hot.

Using the bit like this will burn a hole through the EZ-Out and through the bolt.

It works, I've done it quite a few times, usually on leaf springs to drill a new center bolt hole.

I say last resort because I used this trick on the heads on my Ford 460 when I broke some exhaust bolts off.

I was on the second-to-last bolt to be drilled when the drill jammed and broke off in the hole.

Rebuilt head time for me as there was no way of getting the drill out without buggering everything.

It worked good on the five bolts before that one though!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
7/19/14 8:17 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: This thread leads to a serious question, has anybody hear ever had an ez out work on bolt that was broken off trying to remove it?

At least a hundred times.

It's a tool. You have to know when to use it.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/19/14 8:40 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Solution back the belt tension on the press off before starting

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
7/19/14 10:52 p.m.

That's more preventative than corrective at this point

Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to Trans_Maro: Solution back the belt tension on the press off before starting
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/19/14 11:02 p.m.

Come to think of it you probably could have gotten the whole mess out by sinking a 1/4" carbide endmill in there.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/14 11:10 p.m.

I must be special. EZ outs are pretty much the only tool I've never had a problem with.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/19/14 11:17 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

Same here, I've never broken one off, but any time I've used them before they just ended up spinning or I decided that any more torque would break it off and decided to try other means of removal.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
7/22/14 8:12 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: They work but the trick is to drill completely through the broken bolt first. This seems to let it shrink just enough that the EZ-out can pull it out.

I agree that it helps to shrink.

But, I think it is best to only drill half way through, or drill a small pilot hole all the way and then step up to the next size and stop half way. Too often, as the ez-out turns it expands in the hole making it harder not easier to get out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cQZvZoq42jGuN0nAVTvOrZ9UWIpKL6tHxMiouFHpnOzL8eBmCTbIs0bEazvlz2sI