1 ... 6 7 8
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/12 3:32 p.m.

Well back to the original points then I guess...

The C6 is getting long in the tooth, but is still a performance bargain. yeah, the interior isn't all that and a bag of chips, but really who cares? I'd replace the stock seats with some Recaros or something, that's about it.

The base 'Vette is pretty good, but not my cup of tea (I've driven the LS2 version). The LS3 ones are supposed to be better, but honestly the Grand Sport is the lowest one I'd consider. The GS offers an interesting mix of Z06 and ZR1 parts on the base LS3/steel chassis. Most interesting is that you can do a GS Targa or 'Vert.

The Z06 (especially with the Z07 option package) is the absolute pinnacle of GM as I've been pointing out here all day. Not much more to say about this one than weld in a cage and go racing.

The ZR1 looks cool, but isn't really all that interesting to me. The highest-HP V8 ever produced is neat, but really you could do better than GM going aftermarket on an LS2/LS3 for a lot less (let alone the 7.0L LS7...). This one is the gold-chainer to me.

So yeah, if I hit the lotto, I'd buy a GS Vert to DD and a Z06/Z07 to race. Neither would have the sticker package that Alan hates, as I agree with him that's it's a lot of money for some fluff.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/12 3:33 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: In reply to Javelin: PM Sent. (See how easy that was?)

PM replied.

Sorry for bitching in a thread titled stoke the fire.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/3/12 3:35 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: In reply to Javelin: PM Sent. (See how easy that was?)

This is the sort of thing Hitler would have done back in '32.

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
1/3/12 3:35 p.m.

Dur, you're all wrong. Dry Bones and his standard kart would destroy a Z06 or a Caterham or anything else in a race through Coconut Mall.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/3/12 3:38 p.m.

I would gladly drive a Corvette cross country. As I've mentioned the interior quality doesn't bother me a bit. (although a better designed seat would be nice) The ride is compliant, the A/C works, the stereo jams, and the Vette has enough creature comforts to please nearly anyone.

Although a Caterham / GT3 / 458 Italia / etc. may be marginally more fun on a track, or on a twisty road I can't think of a car that is more versatile than a C6 Corvette.

The fact that a sub $70K car can keep up with the others on track is downright amazing. This is especially true when you consider the Vette will get nearly 30mpg on the highway.

BMW and Porsche may have nicer interiors, but GM has figured out a way to make massive power AND good economy out of their "outdated" pushrod engines.

I love the new M3, but it gets 14 / 20 mpg. I'm sorry, that isn't acceptable in 2012.

and I the fact that the Vette is put together in the U.S. It seems like some folks hate the Vette BECAUSE it is American.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/3/12 3:39 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Javelin wrote: Oh, so now we can respond without addressing the actual point (tires used)? Oh, sweet! I stand by statement. The RACE tired, NOT street legal, KIT CAR R500SL cannot beat the Z06/Z07 on any car track. The *only* spec the R500 wins is a meaningless acceleration from a standing start. The Z06 out corners, out brakes, out speeds, and can out-accelerate on the trot the Caterham, *for the same price* and with a warranty. But god forbid it has some corporate switchgear or a plastic dashboard, because that means it's obviously still GM crap!
What a bunch of bullE36 M3! The Caterham R500 is number one not really a kit car. You get it fully assembled minus the engine so technically it is but that is like saying the Noble is a kit car. Two the Caterham R500 is completely street legal. And the only thing a Z06 is better at is top speed and having a warranty. I am assuming you have never been in R500. The old R500 held the record for 0-100-0 for a while (bettering the McClaren F1) and the new one is faster. I really do like the Corvette but it doesn't beat the R500 in most of those things you said.
Are you serious dude? All those specs came from Caterham's and GM's websites! The R500SL is an awesome car to be sure, but it's still a damn kit car that's $61,057 *without* the engine!! It won't be street legal in some states (CA, OR, WA, NJ, NY, etc), you have to pay to have the engine installed (after you buy the engine), and it's still not going to beat the Z06/Z07 man! Again, the ONLY published stat the R500 is faster is acceleration from a standing start, which is only good for drag racing.

I have been in an R500 on a racetrack and it will leave the Z06 for dead on a track except for one with a huge straight. And I got all my stats from both the GM and Caterham website and it paints a pretty different picture. Why isn't it street legal in some states? Any way it would be street legal in Alabama.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/3/12 3:46 p.m.

I really do love the 'Vette range though. I would buy one over the same priced Porsche, BMW, Jag, etc any day because they have have an awesomely simple formula big power, good handling, good looks and decent gas milage all in a relatively simple(ie no crazy electronics) package.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
1/3/12 4:25 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
oldsaw wrote: I love this bar but (sometimes) the patrons should have stopped a few sips ago.
I'm bored at work today so I'd rather argue about cars I haven't driven with people I've never met. Hey, it's my birthday, I'll do what I want!

hey Javelin... HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/3/12 4:28 p.m.
Scott Lear wrote: Dur, you're all wrong. Dry Bones and his standard kart would destroy a Z06 or a Caterham or anything else in a race through Coconut Mall.

Not even close. Gimme Mario on the standard bike and I'll leave Dry Bones, the kart and all the rest in the dust.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
1/3/12 4:42 p.m.
Scott Lear wrote: Dur, you're all wrong. Dry Bones and his standard kart would destroy a Z06 or a Caterham or anything else in a race through Coconut Mall.

He's cheating on interior appointments. Look at those gloves! Everything feels like soft-touch materials! Never mind the disturbing image of weaponizing the skeletons of your fallen brethren to move ahead one spot when the checkers fly.

I gotta say, facing a rainy 3-hour drive home after a long track day, I'd much rather take the 'vette than a Caterham or the Dry Bones kart, lap times be damned.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/3/12 4:56 p.m.
Javelin wrote: The Z06 (especially with the Z07 option package) is the absolute pinnacle of GM as I've been pointing out here all day. Not much more to say about this one than weld in a cage and go racing.

I haven't found an aluminum roll cage yet that will pass tech, FYI....

chaparral
chaparral Reader
1/3/12 11:13 p.m.

It's extremely unlikely that the Corvette will ever get good factory seats.

GM has to design the seats to fit the average wealthy American. This effectively inflates your sticker price by around $1000 for a pair of your favorite seats and mounts. Consider it a "mandatory enthusiast upcharge" like a price premium to get a manual gearbox.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
1/4/12 8:35 a.m.

In reply to chaparral:

My Corvette buddies love the seats in their cars. They like them flat and smushy. At some point people need to realize that there isn't 100% overlap in Corvette and Porsche shoppers.

BigD
BigD Reader
1/4/12 10:03 a.m.

Holy 8 pages... dunno yet if this has been mentioned but if the interior is seriously the hangup, drop it off at Caravaggio Corvettes. You'll end up with this with enough money left for an SUV, some Miatas and E36 M3s before you're anywhere near a 911 turbo or Ferrari price.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/4/12 10:44 a.m.

Wow.

Those Daytona seats (top photo) would look awesome in my car. Of course, att $5,000 a pair, they'd also double its value.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
1/4/12 1:12 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
rotard wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
bearmtnmartin wrote: Look around at the pos you are driving and what do you see?
A 6" factory Stack tach, VDO oil temp, oil pressure and volume. Wide, open hood between fenders. A leather wrapped wheel. BLack aluminum door panels with red nylon pull straps to open the door. Factory Recaro seats that hold you in place at 2g going into the toe of the boot or all 600 miles of highway to VIR. A leather wrapped shift knob molded into a nice feeling piece of quality plastic. Narry a rattle or squeak after all this time. Sometimes you hear oil burbling thru the pipe under the pass side door sill though. Steering response like, well, like a 911... and it was still kicking the Vette's ass back in 1990 when it was new.
Hmmm...something tells me that an LT1 Vette would stomp it's ass.
Is that something is a voice only you can hear whispering to you... does it ever tell you anything you don't wish was true. Son of Sam had the same problem. It isn't the dog either Before the C5s the Corvette was no match for anything except dudes in too much gold when they were liquored up. They need a lot of work to go fast. Now they are spectacular C5/C6s are monsters... but my 20 yr old 964 can still almost can hang with a well driven C5 Z-06. Don't knock the P-cars till you have tried them. Oh, and it does still have a nicer interior than a new Vette

Your 964 isn't stock. I have a 911 too. It is stock and a c5 z06 would stomp it.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/12 1:58 p.m.

All this thread has done is made me go looking at C5 Corvettes, because they are likely the most car I can buy for the money.

So yeah.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
1/4/12 2:00 p.m.

We have a few vettes and a 997S (previous to that a RS America) I have driven quite a few z06's, 944 turbo's and 968's

No way in hell a 968 is coming close to a Z06. I am positive my prepared S197 could give it a beat down.

back to the convo @ hand..

chaparral
chaparral Reader
1/4/12 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

Eleven grand buys you a nice C5.

You could win A-stock in it.

30 mpg on the freeway. 20 around town. Easy to work on. Rarely breaks. 0-100 in eleven seconds.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/12 7:26 p.m.

In reply to chaparral:

That is exactly my point =)

I'm holding any purchases of any sort of car at all until the Toyobaru is on the lots.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
1/5/12 9:49 a.m.

I can't let this die!

You should seriously buy the Toyobaru. The interior in the Corvette is obviously repurposed technology from the Mir Space Station.

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
akRLWq3Iw04LTXi3PJJrZ2taD9LbVkV0J8csRTqrF2BeckwVd49RlDFvYjedO7fm