1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/16 3:09 p.m.

Keep in mind that it's illegal to change the registrations on these in most emissions states right now, which is a pretty effective "stop sale" on private party sales.

Javelin
3/25/16 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Craig_F:

"While it is legal to sell the car, CARB and the California Department of Motor Vehicles may not allow the buyer to register the vehicle, and current owners may not be allowed to renew their registrations, until all the emission recall work has been completed.

Some states that follow California emission standards (so-called Partial Zero Emission states) also have rules in place that require all emissions-related recalls to be completed before periodical emission testing. If the recall is not completed, the vehicle cannot pass the inspection, and the state will decline renewal of the vehicle registration"

They were recalled in January 2015, and you have to have that done, but dealer's aren't performing it since the scandal broke. Hundreds of owners have been reporting that their local inspection and testing stations have failed them or refused to test or that the DMV has denied registration, especially on new owners/transfers.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/16 6:26 p.m.

Fortunately or not, the US is not California. Some states don't give a crap because they are too poor to have enough industry to need emissions testing, and the other states that do have emissions testing are taking a hands-off approach to it - this is what amounts to a Federal problem, they will test the vehicles according to the standards present, if they fail then they would have failed whether federally kosher or not, and if they pass, then they are meeting the specs that VW built them to, which is all that the state can be concerned with.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
3/29/16 8:18 a.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
Slippery wrote:
Storz wrote: Carmax won't touch it, nor will the KBB "Instant Offer" and rightfully so, why would a dealer take in a car they legally can't resell?
Carmax CAN sell your car, as a matter of fact they have at least 3 TDIs for sale at the moment. Stock numbers: 12268787 12129704 12940954 To be honest with you, my main gripe about people blaming whoever regarding this VW deal is that they sound like excuses to me. VW berkeleyed up, no question about it. They offered some cash, if you dont agree maybe look for another recourse like trading it in at a VW dealer in order to get a better deal on another car and then sell that one. This would be like me making excuses about how come I paid 250k for a house in 2005 and now it is worth 175k. I went ahead, sucked it up and bought another house for 300k that now is worth 500k. If average both, I got my money back. Thats it. I kept on paying my loan on the old one, rented it and moved on.
VW won't even take them. The problem is the EPA issue killed the values of them My car that was worth $12K before the scandal, is now $7K, which is $4K below what I owe. I have looked at a few cars at dealers and talked to them about trading in my Jetta. The highest offer I got was $3K, some even refused to consider taking it. They are all worried they will get stuck with a car they can't legally move. I would love to get rid of my car, if I could. In theory you legally can sell them, there just aren't any buyers. And I am not willing to take a $4K hit on the car. I don't really care what the solution is, recall, buy back, or nothing at all. Just make a decision so that owners and businesses can move on.

You hit the nail on the head, I am in EXACTLY the same spot.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
3/29/16 9:34 a.m.

There was a recall issued to a lot of models for emissions reprogramming earlier in '15, several months before the scandal made headlines, my car has that recall, I declined to have it performed.

Unless something has happened very recently, there isn't a recall regarding the current "Dieselgate" cheating issue yet. There's not an accepted solution yet, and no recall announced yet. There will be one, what that will be, hardware, reprogramming, buy-back, etc. hasn't been determined yet.

There's no recall/fix to the cheating, VW submitted a solution, and it was rejected, so there shouldn't be an issue with registering the car at the moment due to emissions cheating.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/29/16 2:28 p.m.

Here is the latest salvo in the war. FTC sues VWNA for deceptive advertising.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/03/29/ftc-federal-trade-commission-volkswagen-group-clean-diesel/82376012/

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
4/20/16 9:11 p.m.

So.... looks like it's taking shape:

You get $5K for doing one of the following:

1) agreeing to let them fix your car. OR
2) agreeing to let them buy back your car at pre-scandal fair market value + undetermined $$.

I always said if it actually came to a buyback scenario, I'd take the money and run.... but I honestly have no idea what I would replace it with. I still do 150 miles/day, and the Tesla 3 is a long ways from ready.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
4/20/16 9:28 p.m.

Something tells me Malone is going to get a chunk of a lot of those $5K pay offs.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
4/21/16 6:19 a.m.

If this is all true, I'll be letting them buyback my car and taking the $$ to buy something.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
4/21/16 6:56 a.m.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/16 8:05 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote: So.... looks like it's taking shape: You get $5K for doing one of the following: 1) agreeing to let them fix your car. OR 2) agreeing to let them buy back your car at pre-scandal fair market value + undetermined $$. I always said if it actually came to a buyback scenario, I'd take the money and run.... but I honestly have no idea what I would replace it with. I still do 150 miles/day, and the Tesla 3 is a long ways from ready.

I'm not sure what we'll do either. The wagon is so damn functional. No idea what we would replace it with if we take the buyback.

Javelin
4/21/16 8:52 a.m.

Buying back all 500K 2.0 TDI cars, so que the "what car?" threads!

Opti
Opti HalfDork
4/21/16 8:59 a.m.

I wonder what the buy back/repairs will do to their value once the smoke clears.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
4/21/16 9:13 a.m.

I want Porsche to buy back the Cayenne Diesel's then sell them at a super low price so I can buy one!

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/16 9:23 a.m.

I'm wondering what the catch will be for buy backs. Does the car need to have the stock emissions system and tune still in place? If so I'll be spending a day putting stuff back (glad i saved it, it was failing anyway) and getting it flashed stock. If I decide to take just the money, then spend another day redoing the mods. But not sure what I'd do about buy back yet. My car is coming up on 160k miles and I'm getting nervous about any big maintenance. What about suspension and wheel upgrades? I did suspension maintainifying when the stock suspension wore out not too long ago. I doubt I'd recoup any of that money, just like trading it in. Problem is there isn't any car out there that meets my needs better. If the BMW 330d came in manual I'd be jumping ship.

Javelin
4/21/16 9:31 a.m.

There is no approved 2.0 "fix", they will all be bought back. (They are only fixing the 3.0 V6 ones). You will get $5000 and the full KBB Retail value from pre-dieselgate, or you can hold out for an individual suit. Either way, you aren't keeping the car.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
4/21/16 9:55 a.m.

So you get $5000 over KBB, that seems like a pretty good deal...

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/21/16 9:56 a.m.

If I had one, I'd be telling VW that they owe me the non-diesel current model equivalent of the car they're taking back or I'm lawyering up...

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
4/21/16 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Speculation, theory, or fact? I'd sure like to see the source if fact.

SWMBO and I were discussing this last night, if our '14 Sportwagen were to get a "fix" we'd be doing an aftermarket tune and DPF/EGR delete.

I seem to be in the minority here at least, but we love ours, and have no intention of willingly giving it up. Just past 36K miles last night.

I got the goodwill package earlier this week, I still have to go to the dealer to activate the prepaid cards.

Application for the original Goodwill package have to be submitted by the end of this month.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/16 10:08 a.m.
Javelin wrote: There is no approved 2.0 "fix", they will *all* be bought back. (They are only fixing the 3.0 V6 ones). You will get $5000 and the full KBB Retail value from pre-dieselgate, or you can hold out for an individual suit. Either way, you aren't keeping the car.

You read that where? I've not seen that publicly stated. In fact, I read that one scenario has owners keeping their cars.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
4/21/16 10:40 a.m.
Javelin wrote: que the "what car?" threads!

haha... seriously.

I'm legitimately running through those "what car" exercises right now though.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
4/21/16 10:44 a.m.
docwyte wrote: So you get $5000 over KBB, that seems like a pretty good deal...

No kidding.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
4/21/16 10:46 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote:
Javelin wrote: que the "what car?" threads!
haha... seriously. I'm legitimately running through those "what car" exercises right now though.

I think one of these with the 5.3 may be in my future

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
4/21/16 10:54 a.m.
PMRacing wrote: If the BMW 330d came in manual I'd be jumping ship.

I believe the 335D did have a manual option..

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
4/21/16 10:56 a.m.
docwyte wrote: So you get $5000 over KBB, that seems like a pretty good deal...

This would be like Christmas in April if it were true. I am keeping from getting too excited till I see something official. Everything appears to still be speculation at this point.

Regardless of what the actual solution is, I am just glad there will be a solution and an end to leaving all of us owners hanging for 6 months.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CghHEQePm4aZ9TvpsvSdWEGgKGa3GefrpesYrR0iFKFNww1j7dHgJnXr4lPhpdUu