1 2
docwyte
docwyte Reader
11/17/09 12:04 p.m.

Open track days are dangerous due to the disparate levels of drivers, cars, lack of corner workers, etc, etc.

When you run a DE or track event with an organization (be it SCCA, NASA, BMWCCA, etc) they tend to group like levels together so you don't have tremendous differentials in closing speeds, skill levels, etc. They also have corner workers, etc.

Obviously the Ring is a very different animal since it's a "toll road" and anyone and their brother can drive on it. At that point the safety is really on the driver and you have to be vigilant about traffic all around you.

slefain
slefain Dork
11/17/09 12:08 p.m.

Did they ever find the driver's seat cushion?

Buckhead
Buckhead Reader
11/17/09 4:47 p.m.
alex wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
World's fastest Z3 conversion?

I was going to post that this morning... i thought for sure it was a z3.... wow

loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
11/17/09 5:27 p.m.

I know it's the Ring, but it could happen at Road America. That guard rail looks alot like the run between the kink and 12.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
11/18/09 8:16 a.m.
Keith wrote: The BMW driver should have been able to see the MINI several times. Even with a 40 mph closing speed, you still don't have a car suddenly pop into view. I suspect the MINI did something unpredictable - saw the BMW come up behind and went off-line to let it past, right into the path of the faster car. Or the MINI was just a tourist, as the 'Ring is a public road and anyone can drive on it. Inexperienced and slow drivers are one of the risks there, one you don't find on a normal track event.

I don't necessarily disagree, but at the same time I'm not so sure... given the level of prep the M3 had, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a video set-up... with any luck, it survived the crash and the footage will get posted after the dust settles.

mel_horn
mel_horn Dork
11/19/09 11:29 a.m.

And for those of you wondered what a front crank sensor looks like...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
11/19/09 11:36 p.m.

The 'ring is an odd place for shure; you could be in a 911 and see this closing fast in your rear view mirrorsgood to hear the driver was OK

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6nmRPoIsFiZf6btHThnkBhLQySiUMwAPOqeQ1FTMj8VoNvC8SVQhRE1gN3hXR5H5