aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/6/11 8:45 p.m.

Spent the day there today, had a great view at turn 11, watched a few loops, in love with the GT40 and the Aston Martin.

Found out the worst car for the Honda 200 is an S2000, they had a 100% failure rate...

Wife is really getting this racing thing, she could tell when one AM driver was running over the crest in too low gear and hitting the rev limiter, yet the other AM was smooth and on the power all the way through the turn.

They say if you don't like the weather in Ohio, wait a minute. Never was that a more appropriate saying. Hot, humid, sunny, overcast, cool breezes, rain, torrential downpours, alternating,

Fun day had by Mrs Aussie and me.

ss
ss New Reader
8/7/11 2:42 a.m.

The weather comment is so true, Planned on going but my knee blew up like a grapefruit. What a summer

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/7/11 2:51 a.m.

and we got that storm cell here from midnight till 3 am, musta been a real biotch at the track

glad y'all had a good day at the track... but there really isn't a bad day at the track is there

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
8/7/11 5:41 a.m.

I watched it on my X-Box. Looked like a great race. I am glad that Henzler was able to keep his calm on that last flying lap. Passed 5 cars in torrential downpour in one lap. Looks like Michelin needs to develop a better rain tire. I bet Pat Long agrees with me!

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
8/7/11 10:51 a.m.

I was there for the ALMS race, but we didn't get to the track until Formula 2000 was racing. I was by the long straight past turn #3, but I spent most of my time by the esses. Was a great race until the rain red flagged it!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/11 3:14 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Found out the worst car for the Honda 200 is an S2000, they had a 100% failure rate...

The S2000s never seem to do well at Mid-Ohio, they never seem to make it past the first lap .

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
8/7/11 6:54 p.m.

I've driven that track once ( last yr ) it is a blast

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/7/11 7:13 p.m.

I did my first SCCA driver school at Mid-Ohio, snow flurries then rain, ugh. Michael Shank, then a Sports 2000 national driver was my driving instructor... that's been a while.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/8/11 5:29 p.m.

I was there all day Friday and Saturday with my boys. It was a great race, that AM makes my knees weak with the noise it makes. We were at the AM paddock and one of the guys on the team came over and talked with us for a little, he said that the car is the old AM 007 car.

We did get lucky in terms of the rain, we had just walked over to the pit garages so we didn't get too wet.

I also have to say the the Lizards are the nicest bunch of people. The drivers took the time to talk to both of my boys, 3 and 8, and after the race the crew chief for the 45 car let both of my kids sit in the car.

All in all it was a great but exhausting couple of days.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/8/11 7:12 p.m.

NASCAR buddy of mine was teasing about the red flag. "I thought y'all raced in the rain! HAR!HAR!HAR!"

I said, "..yeah, but we don't race in a flood." Not a bad Indycar race either, if you like tactics. Thought Hinchcliff was going to pull it off for a moment..but I guess it's tough on blacks when everyone around you's on reds.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/8/11 7:28 p.m.

The black top was still visible under 4" of water, NASCAR goes home if someone sneezes on the track

friedgreencorrado
8/8/11 9:08 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: The black top was still visible under 4" of water, NASCAR goes home if someone sneezes on the track

Yeah. I was watching on ESPN3. Saw Patrick get sideways under braking at the Keyhole..I think he would have caught it, but didn't want to risk spinning it in the traffic. I could swear he aimed for the side of the road instead of inviting the counter-spin. Class act, that guy. He was leading at the time. Nice work by the Falken team, though. The buzz I've heard about their wets seems to have a little evidence behind it after the Mid-O weekend!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
8/8/11 9:14 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Saw Patrick get sideways under braking at the Keyhole..I think he would have caught it, but didn't want to risk spinning it in the traffic.

Was that the one where he got the back wheels sliding under braking for maybe 150 yards, then went off the outside? I can't imagine how slick it must have been for that car to slide like that, that far.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
8/8/11 9:51 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Class act, that guy. He was leading at the time.

Yes, Pat Long is a class act. No, he was not leading at the time.

Mr. Henzler had already made the pass just after the start-finish. 5 passes in one lap in that weather! I am not convinced that if they had continued the race under green that the little RSR would not have won overall. He was really footing it.

friedgreencorrado
8/9/11 3:38 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Saw Patrick get sideways under braking at the Keyhole..I think he would have caught it, but didn't want to risk spinning it in the traffic.
Was that the one where he got the back wheels sliding under braking for maybe 150 yards, then went off the outside? I can't imagine how slick it must have been for that car to slide like that, that far.

That's the one. I was yelling for him to catch it like I was at an NFL game.

And Maroon's right..I watched it again in a highlight film, Henzler was already by when Long went off the road.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
8/9/11 4:19 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: The black top was still visible under 4" of water, NASCAR goes home if someone sneezes on the track

No, no... they throw a yellow, run 5 laps under caution and bunch up the field for a sneeze.

They don't go home until it drizzles.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BQyNcCsFuegwe4jLuMHU7hhbQGo9GlijlY7fGpxAA74thJ8IjpnFWgGSuJwEUMWM