1 2
jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
8/27/15 7:08 a.m.

Really?

2 feet shorter than a Miata!

Cute toy, but not sure of its saleability in the American market.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/27/15 7:12 a.m.

I doubt they will make it, but if they do, can you imagine the dealer markup?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/27/15 7:29 a.m.

2 FEET?????????????

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/15 7:30 a.m.

This has been discussed a few times here already. I'll believe it when I see it...but when I see it, you bet your ass I'll be heading to the local Honda dealer.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/reports-are-out-honda-s1000-is-a-go-for-production/101098/page1/

If it does come, it will almost definitely gain a foot or so back, just like the U.S. market Fits always have to meet our crash standards.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
8/27/15 8:04 a.m.

Is this a Kei class car in Japan? If so, it could be a tough sell in the land of bro-dozers and 6000lb distracted parent SUV's.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/27/15 8:04 a.m.

So if this makes it to the ol US of A, which domestic will be the first to toss one of their small turbo fwd drivetrains in the rear of an econobox floor pan and make a competitor?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/27/15 8:18 a.m.
RossD wrote: So if this makes it to the ol US of A, which domestic will be the first to toss one of their small turbo fwd drivetrains in the rear of an econobox floor pan and make a competitor?

Nobody.

Not nearly enough of a market to justify. The closest you will get is the Fiat version of the Miata. Everyone has had their opportunity- some have even spent the money- none have stayed. It's great that Honda will do this, but based on the reaction to the S2000, I expect the same to happen.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
8/27/15 8:44 a.m.

At 1900lbs and 138hp, it'll be way underpowered. Especially since factory turbo engines are so hard to extract more power from.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
8/27/15 8:49 a.m.

So...that's what an Accord seed looks like...

That would be the only interesting looking thing on a US Honda lot, but I suspect performance would be lackluster enough ensure it won't accidentally wake any of the comatose Honda buying population.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/27/15 8:54 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote: At 1900lbs and 138hp, it'll be way underpowered. Especially since factory turbo engines are so hard to extract more power from.

Like the 2300lb 155hp Miata is underpowered?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/27/15 8:56 a.m.

Yeah, I wouldn't call that underpowered either. Everything doesn't need 300 hp. If it can make it through a mountain pass at the speed limit or merge at the top of an on ramp at 70mph it's fine.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/27/15 9:38 a.m.
RossD wrote: Yeah, I wouldn't call that underpowered either. Everything doesn't need 300 hp.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/27/15 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

So your 16 year old daughter/son needs a 300 hp Accord? Or will a 138 hp one suffice?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/15 9:51 a.m.

138hp is good enough, but a 1L version would be better. I doubt they'll bring the S660 to the US, but maybe the S1000.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/27/15 10:01 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: If it does come, it will almost definitely gain a foot or so back, just like the U.S. market Fits always have to meet our crash standards.

This meets U.S. standards...

I think it has a good chance. Especially when you consider how many Smart cars I see around. If Smart has managed to hold on in the U.S. market since 2008 and still be relevant, then I think Honda bringing in a smaller car could really work. Especially if its sporty and not as much of a "penalty box" as the Smart.

Meanwhile, the enthusiast in me says..

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/27/15 10:11 a.m.

Once again.

I live in a universe called "Reality" where the first car at a light change takes 5-8 second to get across the intersection. I figure they are using maybe 15 hp max to get the job done.

So how does 135hp not work in this world?

I am not sure where and when it started, but in the last few years, it is a requirement that any new car design must start with "The most horsepower in the world" as a base requirement.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/27/15 10:13 a.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to Flight Service: So your 16 year old daughter/son needs a 300 hp Accord? Or will a 138 hp one suffice?

I learned on 435...why can't they

actually as much fun as the muscle truck was to learn to drive on and play with, I actually enjoyed my little 88 Mercury Tracer. 88hp. Little go kart.

It needed 300 hp

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/15 10:15 a.m.

If it came to the US, I don't think it'll sell at all and be a bust for Honda. There just isn't an appetite for this type of car in the US unfortunately. The Mini is dying on the vine. The Miata isn't exactly a sales rocket ship. I would be surprised if this moved 12K units a year.

SlickDizzy
8/27/15 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

I'm just saying that with small Hondas specifically, the U.S. versions ALWAYS get bigger bumpers than ROW/Japan. It's happened to every generation of Fit and if the S660/S1000 actually makes it here, I would very much expect the same.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
8/27/15 10:32 a.m.

In reply to MCarp22:

Looking at historic weight to hp ratios of sports cars in the past, I suggest you are quite incorrect. And a fat torquey midrange power curve ala turbos means this thing should have a nice quick feeling to it on the street.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/27/15 12:27 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: If it came to the US, I don't think it'll sell at all and be a bust for Honda. There just isn't an appetite for this type of car in the US unfortunately. The Mini is dying on the vine. The Miata isn't exactly a sales rocket ship. I would be surprised if this moved 12K units a year.

Define what Honda would consider a "bust" on a known small niche 2-seat sports car that they have already developed as a stand alone model for their home market. If they know they can break even on the cost of a federalized variation within say 10k (total, not annual) units, anything greater than that over its production life is just gravy on the bottom line. And any extra positive attention it helps bring to the brand that results in additional conventional car sales, all the better too.

bmw88rider
8/27/15 1:17 p.m.

It's tough to say but the best year for the FRS/BRZ was about 26K units with 2014 being down to 21K units for example.

If the dealers have to sit on these niche units and have them eating into their flooring (like the CRZ did) They will not be too happy and not want to stock them so at that point what good is coming out of it?

I understand it's probably not a huge cost to production for them. I just see this being an extremely hard sell to most of the US market.

SlickDizzy
8/27/15 1:22 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

You could almost look at that two ways. Hopefully Honda has learned their lesson from the CR-Z, in that a wishy-washy car that is both a crappy hybrid and a crappy sports car manages to appeal to nobody in either market. It's a niche car that doesn't fill any niches. From that perspective, I'd think a focused sports car like the S660/S1000 would be a huge step up in sales potential; if not a volume seller like the Fit, at least interesting enough to justify its own existence.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/27/15 1:26 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: In reply to bmw88rider: You could almost look at that two ways. Hopefully Honda has learned their lesson from the CR-Z, in that a wishy-washy car that is both a crappy hybrid and a crappy sports car manages to appeal to nobody in either market. It's a niche car that doesn't fill any niches. From that perspective, I'd think a focused sports car like the S660/S1000 would be a huge step up in sales potential; if not a volume seller like the Fit, at least interesting enough to justify its own existence.

and if you wanted to make it even more so, skip the .66l engine and shoe horn in a current EPA certd engine. Like the one out of the Fit

bmw88rider
8/27/15 1:27 p.m.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-honda-s660-mid-engine-roadster-first-drive-review

in case anyone is interested. They will need to work on the roof and the power if it comes here. 13.2 Second 0-60

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CMlaCQMwg4mDuzqrckXGoRptPjnFPPgv0tE3966vzoBHhb75lQvaAZtqHRd8mBQT