Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
3/22/22 5:23 p.m.

We all know the tried and true method of stuffing a massive engine in a tiny chassis, and I've done it enough times to know it's fun. But I want to maybe try something different. 

I was always fascinated by the Toyota Supras  in the JGTC. They have a 3sgte turbo four cylinder instead of the 2jz twin turbo setup. And that is because it makes the car handle better with less weight on the nose and the four bang is capable of the same power output for the class requirement. 

so I'm thinking, a80 Supra is way too much money these days. I can grab it's near identical cousin, the Lexus SC3/400, for a song. Then transplant a turbo four inside. And lighten the chassis. 

only question is, which 4 banger? Needs to be easy turbo options, good support, and hopefully cheap To buy. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/22 5:31 p.m.

That 1.8T used in all the VWAG cars seems popular. But is there a Toyota one that might share a bellhousing?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/22 5:52 p.m.

I mean, you answered your own question. 3S-GTE

Definitely gone now
3/22/22 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Yeah but those are really expensive when you start getting into them. I'm almost thing turbo Chevy 4 cyl. (I think it's LF?)

Definitely gone now
3/22/22 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I have a neighbor doing a diesel 1.8 in his yota truck so there must be something. 

Slippery
3/22/22 6:58 p.m.
Definitely gone now said:

In reply to Slippery :

Yeah but those are really expensive when you start getting into them. I'm almost thing turbo Chevy 4 cyl. (I think it's LF?)

What is your budget? 

I happen to have one, harness/ecu and all. 

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
3/22/22 7:23 p.m.

K-swap all the things

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/22/22 7:27 p.m.

For lightweight it might be worth chasing something with an aluminum block. I'm not versed enough to be able to make an aluminum block engine recommendation. But I also think a VW 1.8t might be a good choice. Tons of aftermarket and dirt cheap to buy. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/22 7:29 p.m.

Is there a reason that you want to utilize that chassis as a starting point, as opposed to just getting something more agile as a starting point?

Definitely gone now
3/22/22 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I already have a Miata, so I have light weight on lock. But I've always wanted to play around with a heavy chassis that is made lighter. The sc chassis is really good, maybe not autocross good, and some of the suspension is a80 Supra components. Plus that chassis is easy to score cheaply. Budget wise I would say 5k all in. A fun track car that is more nimble than its same production counterpart. Hp target:300hp. 

of note, American muscle stuff usually goes for a premium, and German stuff tends to be pricey to obtain, maintain, and retain. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
3/22/22 8:56 p.m.

Getting a K24 to 300hp is pretty easy and all the RWD swap stuff has been done before into other cars, so you aren't starting from scratch.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/22 10:16 a.m.

Is getting a K to 300 peak hp easier than just turning up the boost on a turbo engine? And what's the area under the curve look like?

I always have a healthy level of skepticism when it comes to "easy" naturally aspirated power based on how difficult it's been to duplicate those sorts of claims in the past. 

Slippery
3/23/22 11:34 a.m.

I agree that getting a K to 300 is quite simple, but you will not have the torque of a turbo motor. In a big/heavy chassis, torque will make all the difference. 

Maybe a k24 (k23?) turbo from an RDX. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
3/23/22 12:37 p.m.

There's a 4th Gen Camaro with a turbo 2JZ running at the drag strip in Bradenton.  I forget his name, but he's got a YouTube channel.

I think a 4th Gen with a 2.0t Ecotec could be really fun.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
3/24/22 10:55 a.m.

I've always thought that it would be great fun to own a mid 50s C2 Corvette (say a 56) with a stock 240 bhp gross but with a modern turbo 2.0 4 cylinder installed with double the power (240 gross is approx 190 net).  

Wouldn't sound as nice as a V8 and it  would probably get you lynched by the Corvette owners.......

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
3/24/22 11:36 a.m.

I'm building a big car little engine. Dropping a newer higher power little engine where there was once an older lower power bigger engine. Losing 200lbs off the nose and having a big open engine bay will be nice.

I was partially inspired by the Race Rambler™ with it's Ford 2.3

So much room for activities

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
3/24/22 11:40 a.m.

Now you've got me thinking about an early 2000s Mustang with a turbo ecotec or 2.4 from a GT Cruiser under the hood.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
3/24/22 11:43 a.m.

So much room for....bananas?

The small engine idea is interesting and so much easier to work on...it is just a bummer that the sound an engine makes also seems to improve with more cylinders. Even my own stuff - my turbo 318is does just fine, but my (much slower) 325es makes much cooler sounds that really add to the driving experience. I didn't realize just how much until I had both versions of the same car at the same time.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
3/24/22 2:42 p.m.

A couple years ago I delivered a 3SGE to a friend, he paid $1800 for it with ecu and 6 speed attached. I've also gone for a ride in an AE86 with the 3SGE and that car was a riot, so I'm a big fan of that engine. With that said, about 500 of the SC300's 3500 lbs is the 2jz, and I'd be surprised if you lost more than 150 lbs roughly by switching to an aluminum 4 cylinder, so you're still dealing with a relatively heavy car that will probably have less torque at the bottom than what it originally had, assuming we're sticking with n/a motors. 

Slippery
3/25/22 11:03 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pAhBuH8LGqwUwlbyMPON47bXKTyBVQDwk23YJ0F35tBS6e2tFAL29ytjkoK6hHIm