1 2
Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/29/09 10:07 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Truck's light in da back Lookin' at a 70s tank Keep yo truck, different wheels stick to da tarmac THROW SOME CHAINS ON DAT BITCH

Somebody actually had chains on a pickup yesterday here in Dallas during the ice storm. I didn't even know they sold chains in this state.

Raze
Raze Reader
1/29/09 11:00 a.m.

part of the problem is the rake all rangers have, there's a 2 inch diff in suspension front to rear to allow it to ride correctly loaded, problem is unloaded the truck is bady nose biased. You can feel it in the rain as well, the back will break very easily even with the 4banger or 3.slow engine.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/29/09 11:03 a.m.

You're kidding, right?

El Caminos (and presumably Rancheros) are one of the most traction challenged vehicles ever built. Plenty of power + weight distribution significantly favoring the front = no traction.

They had issues before they left the drawing board.

They were offered with 2 configurations.

Standard offered a soft smooth ride which squatted unreasonably when loaded.

Heavy duty rode stiff, and sat high, but rode well when loaded.

The problem is the size of the cargo area. It allows loading beyond what is reasonable to expect from a passenger vehicle. Additionally, the cars pre-dated engineering ideas like progressive rate springs.

Having said all that, I LOVE my '60 Elky! Loads of fun!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
1/29/09 11:13 a.m.

I have 215mm wide Pirelli Scorpions on my Lincoln Town car and I pass SUVs with ease in bad weather, it only affected my ability to start from stationary and the stopping distance.

tuna55
tuna55 New Reader
1/29/09 11:32 a.m.

This is like people asking about if a blah blah will turn a better autocross time than a blah blah. The asnwer is, get some tires and learn to drive. Sorry, I am not intending to be offensive, but I (and many others from the sounds of it) have driven over feet and feet of snow in equally capable vehicles. Get the skinniest real snow tires you can find (cooper makes a darn nice set) for ALL FOUR CORNERS. I can't stress that enough. Very rarely will the inability to 'go' get you into a problem. It's always the ability to stop or turn that's an issue.

I had a 84 pickem up truck with 175s or something ridiculous. I passed stuck 4wd trucks all the time.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/09 12:37 p.m.

Snow tires help a lot, but they're not magic. What SVreX says is correct. They have among the worst weight distributions of any vehicle made. You can't beat physics. (Although we all try)

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
1/29/09 1:34 p.m.

Are you running your snow tires under-inflated? You said like 22 psi, right? You need to inflate those mo-fos! Go to the manufacturer's (Ford's) recommended tire pressure. Then adjust from there.

I run snows on my Z3. That thing is downright amazing for a right-wheel drive car when it comes to the white stuff. Of course, it's still no match for ice and hills. I almost slid down an 1/4 mile long hill from my house yesterday before I decided not to go to work.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eANwfBxPQC8uQHQlFMfmcCLCrC7ynSs3FxjJVBP25Hw44NdCcobO5SW6EtWDnuB8