PeteD
PeteD GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/26/17 10:41 a.m.

Hi all,

What's the best way to store an engine for a few years so that it can be easily returned to running afterwards?

I have an engine that came from a wrecked car. Prior to the wreck it has been rebuild and was in good condition.

I don't have a need for the engine at this moment, but I can foresee wanting to use it within in the next couple of years.

Until then, I'm hoping to store it in a way that will preserve its good condition as best as possible - that's where I need your advice!

I've drained the fluids, taped over all the ports & openings, and covered the whole thing (pic below). Occasionally I'll turn the crank to move the pistons & cams as well - but I'm not sure if this is even a good idea.

Is there some lubricant I should put in it? Are there maintenance items I should check on? Have you stored an engine like this before & how did it work out?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice!

-- Pete

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/26/17 10:50 a.m.

Fresh oil in the crankcase to get rid of any acids, etc. A little bit of light oil in the cylinders through the plug holes (turn the motor over to spread it around). That will prevent cylinder wall rust, stuck rings, etc. Then cover over all of the ports, etc.

When it's returned to service, expect a smokeshow on first startup, but other than that, it should be no big deal to wake it up after a few years.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/17 10:52 a.m.

^Same thing I was going to suggest. MMO is a good choice for oil to go into the cylinders. If you really want to go all-out, trap Evans Waterless coolant in the coolant passages.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/26/17 10:54 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: MMO is a good choice for oil to go into the cylinders

Agreed. I've seen Rislone used with good results as well (has some of the same crud dissolving ability and is a little thicker, so it might stay on the cylinder walls longer). MMO will be less likely to foul the plugs and will produce less startup smoke though.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/26/17 1:40 p.m.

There is actually a product intended for that very purpose. Fogging oil. Several companies make it. I've been using Stabil for quite a while but I've used other brands with no issue. Ideally it would have been treated before being pulled from the car but if you spray it in the plug holes, turn the motor over a couple of times and then do it again you should be covered (both literally and figuratively).

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
4/26/17 4:30 p.m.

As stated already: Fogging Oil. And then spray it in any intake or exhaust ports too. Then seal it up. I like to soak paper towels in light oil and stuff them in any openings too, except water outlets of course. Spray any steel or cast iron exterior parts with some rust preventative and then bag it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/17 4:56 p.m.

I have never done this but a friend of mine did the fog oil thing then taged and banged the motor with a desiccant that he got on line some place.

Oh another thing is if you can store the motor in a climate controled place it is much better.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/26/17 5:55 p.m.

Think about bagging it in plastic along with a Vapor phase corrosion emitter (VCI) product. They're a good way to prevent rust and corrosion. One popular source is http://www.bull-frog.com/products/ I can't tell what kind of engine it is, but if it has rocker arms think about backing off the nuts to relieve tension on the valve springs.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
4/27/17 10:50 a.m.

There's a guy who advertises in Hemmings that makes "desiccant spark plugs" Alway wanted to try them but never have i use use fogging oil and plug the intake and exhaust.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kh3ENjXJmVz3Ty6EuvVq5IU377bI099KsXVUNspM46W9nRr6pXtRLkepvgUZizS9